SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
Because I don't want an ipod or iphone that forces me to use itunes and since they did that I don't want to use their SW either. My Philips mp3 player lets me use my choice of SW to manage my music. You can use it it if you want though.

I don't use google either, except for google maps sometimes.
you don't have to use itunes.

I have used Xplay 2 which you can explore the IPod hard drive like a hard drive, and more. Very powerful software. There are cheaper versions.

but you are not stuck with itunes if you want to use something else.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
What are you viewing on that can display 16bit/channel color?
we have 20 inch CRT'S (trinitrons) on the capture stations and on the workstations, calibrated with a spyder monthly. we typically print to an epson r2400 (ultrachrome II inks)
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 AM
SageTVaholic

As for ipods/itunes... Our family has several ipods (ipod 30g video, 2g nano, 2x4g nano, and ipod touch). I chose the ipod because of the docking stations. We have one connected into the home theatre, one in the workout area, and one in each bedroom. The fact than any ipod can dock into any station is great. No other solution has as many choices when it comes to docks.

Since I'm in linux, I don't have the option to use itunes, so I use Amarok. In my oppinion it's far better than itunes.

That all being said... I still hate Apple and their closed architecture. And because i was such a loyal apple ipod fan, i got burned... twice. Not on DRM, but on something else. First, I bought an ipod touch, and because I've used ipods on linux for so many years, I didn't give it a second thought. But the ipod touch doesn't work in linux

The second thing, is recently I purchased 2 ipod nanos (the new ones), and I discovered that they won't charge in my docks. All other ipods work fine.

So while I'll probably purchase DRM free music from itunes (maybe), I've given up on Apple.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post
we have 20 inch CRT'S (trinitrons) on the capture stations and on the workstations, calibrated with a spyder monthly. we typically print to an epson r2400 (ultrachrome II inks)
But what about video card, I'm not aware of any that support 16bit/channel output. Which would be 64bit color in Windows speak.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
But what about video card, I'm not aware of any that support 16bit/channel output. Which would be 64bit color in Windows speak.
I think they are all running FireGL cards, but prints are still king. we daily compare tumor pigmentation on 25 year old slides to images taken today.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 01-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
As for ipods/itunes... Our family has several ipods (ipod 30g video, 2g nano, 2x4g nano, and ipod touch). I chose the ipod because of the docking stations. We have one connected into the home theatre, one in the workout area, and one in each bedroom. The fact than any ipod can dock into any station is great. No other solution has as many choices when it comes to docks.

Since I'm in linux, I don't have the option to use itunes, so I use Amarok. In my oppinion it's far better than itunes.

That all being said... I still hate Apple and their closed architecture. And because i was such a loyal apple ipod fan, i got burned... twice. Not on DRM, but on something else. First, I bought an ipod touch, and because I've used ipods on linux for so many years, I didn't give it a second thought. But the ipod touch doesn't work in linux

The second thing, is recently I purchased 2 ipod nanos (the new ones), and I discovered that they won't charge in my docks. All other ipods work fine.

So while I'll probably purchase DRM free music from itunes (maybe), I've given up on Apple.
I received a Nano from my employer a few years ago. I bought my iPhone 3g about a month ago. I always used the nano with JRMC and had no problems. The iPhone requires iTunes. Installation of iTunes 8 broke JRMC's support for my nano. This happens periodically and is certainly something apple does intentionally.

I love my iPhone. It is definitely one of my all time favorite gadgets. That being said, I really dislike having to use iTunes. It is a weak buggy product. JRMC just blows it away in every category. What can you expect for free?

I never buy music from apple. If I want music I buy the cd and rip to mp3 for the ipods/iphone and FLAC for at home listening. Apple is worse than M$. I guess they can get away with it as long as their market share is so puny.

The issue with the base stations was caused by apple switching from 12v to 5v for charging. Now you get to replace a bunch of accessories. I work at an auto dealer and we are getting all sorts of flac because the ipod integration system built into our cars will not charge the 3G iphone. Thank you apple.

Jesse
HD300 X1