SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinR View Post
Not to mention I know nobody who relies on an antenna. It seems everyone has cable or sat nowdays. I wonder what the stats really are.

I have never paid for television in my life and rely completely on my roof top antenna. I have been running (sage) with ATSC (digital) tuners and my rooftop antenna since 2004.

The U.S. Government Accountability Office estimates that 11-20% of US household (like mine) rely solely on OTA signals for television. And then 5-27% of cable and satellite users also use OTA.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I believe the only real problem with the digital switch is the lack of portable digital capable TV's.
HORSE POOPY.... You get better emergency info (without commercials) on RADIO'S... most people have one of those !!!

Quote:
Hawaii is switching early on Jan 15
Interesting... Obama's home state...
Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandor View Post
I have never paid for television in my life and rely completely on my roof top antenna. I have been running (sage) with ATSC (digital) tuners and my rooftop antenna since 2004.

The U.S. Government Accountability Office estimates that 11-20% of US household (like mine) rely solely on OTA signals for television. And then 5-27% of cable and satellite users also use OTA.
Yep. I'd say half my customers who purchased converter boxes or antenna's have Directv, who doesn't offer local channels in my area.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post
HORSE POOPY.... You get better emergency info (without commercials) on RADIO'S... most people have one of those !!!
You obviously have never seen the weather reporting in Oklahoma when tornadic weather is about.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

For all major change their can be issues and some inconviences to work out.

Every issue I have seen on this thread has a work around, perhaps it will cause some difficulty and add some expense to a few, but to use these as excuses to delay a major change, that has been in the works for years is ridiculous... Nothing can mover forward with that kind of mentality.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Sage Icon

The February 17th date seemed to be poorly selected date, arbitrarily selected without much thought. February 17th is in the middle of winter. Many homes in northern US have snow and ice on the rooftops in mid-winter. If rooftop antenna work has to be done after the analog TV shut down, it would be more difficult or impossible to do during the middle of winter.

The $40 coupons expire in only 90 days. Many people have expired coupons that cannot be renewed. If people have two expired coupons, they cannot apply for new coupons.

The digital signal is free of the analog signal snow, ghosting, and fuzziness. However, the digital signal is subject to pixelation and rain fade if the signal is not strong enough.

Dave
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If rooftop antenna work has to be done after the analog TV shut down, it would be more difficult or impossible to do during the middle of winter.
If work needs to be done on the antenna, it has probably has nothing to do with the switch to digital. Those signals are currently being broadcast in the UHF frequencies. So unless the antenna was VHF only, it won't matter. And in my area most of the broadcasters are going back to their original frequencies (VHF requires less power to transmit). I vote that we just do it now.

Wayne
Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Sage Icon

in my city, the broadcasters did a terrible job of explaining who needs converter boxes. Way too wordy. KISS.