SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV United Kingdom
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV United Kingdom SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from the UK - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in the UK.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Digibox output comparisons

I'm interested to know if anybody has compared the quality of the output from digiboxes using different methods of connection.
Currently I have a couple of Grundig boxes from which I use Svhs to pvr150's. I have these tweaked to a point now where there is no detectable difference in picture after running through Sage and very little difference from a direct RGB output. One of these boxes is starting to die so before I replace it I would like to know if anyone has compared the output from a box using an RGB to Svhs convertor and is it any better?
I already have a couple of other digiboxes I could use that don't have Svhs output but will do RGB so could use a convertor with one of these but I can buy a replacement Grundig box for less than I can buy the convertors so will not use them unless there is a quality improvement.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:43 AM
Sage Icon

I used to run a panasonic digibox with an RGB to SVid converter and the results were good.

As of late though I am using a DVB-S card which is the ideal.

I am only using the digibox for updating the card keys once a month or so.

Maybe time to move away from digiboxes...
Old 01-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have been considering this as a possibility. I have 3 boxes/cards at present, two of which are attached to Sage and one remains in place on the main TV of the house so that my wife can revert to it or in case the Sage network bombs for some reason.
Do you use more than one box and do you have any issues with letters from Sky at all? I know that if either of my multiroom boxes is not connected to the phone line that Sky will and have sent letters in the past.
I cannot take out the box that is attached directly to the television until such times as I have my wife using Sage exclusively which is a very slow process. It took me months to get her away from analog TV, the Sage system has been in development for around 3 years and has only recently really reached a point where she will use it on occasions. My daughter at six years old is a total convert however!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have two sky boxes.(Sky sent me stroppy letters as well when one was not connected) Both of them are in the garage controlled by Sage. For the times that Sage or the server has a problem I have a coax cable from one of the boxes to the TV with a remote control sender which gives full access to sky services.

This is very useful for when we have baby sitters who are not familiar with sage as I just set a manual record against the sky box which has the coax link for the whole time we are out, which effectively makes sage leave the box alone, and leave the baby sitter with the sky remote.

With this setup you could reduce your sky boxes by one or add another capture card.

The picture quality is slightly poorer over coax which is an incentive to use Sage and of course all the other features which we know and love.
Client3: ABIT IC7, P4 2.4, 512MB RAM, XP Pro.
Client4: ABIT AI7, Celeron 2.4, 512MB RAM, XP Pro.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartley9 View Post
The picture quality is slightly poorer over coax
Er...understatement, it's actually abysmal on anything over a 15 inch screen in my house.

I picked up another svideo Grundig box already.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if an hd200 hooked up to the plasma would be the way to go because the server never has issues and if I could eliminate the occasional blips that the client on this screen has then my extra box for backup viewing can be moved to the server too as I know the wife won't have issues when I am not here to fix it