SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Problems with 6.5 install

Hello, I am having problems with installing 6.5 and uninstalling 6.4. The reality is I did not uninstall 6.4 first (which I would have normally done). I am sure that I used the same directory but now I have two versions of Sage installed on top of each other. From the "Add and Remove Programs" screen when I try to remove either of the two, the system just sticks on "Please wait while Windows configures SageTV"until windows stops responding. Is there another way to uninstall these. I have had problems with both clicking on the install package (nothing happens) and using Safe Mode with "Add and Remove Programs" (just says that it cannot access the uninstall program in Safe Mode). Please help!!!!

PS: Running XP Home latest SP. I already did a system restore, but that did not remove the install for some reason.

Last edited by ldavis; 02-14-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Sage Icon

I don't know how to remove the old version, but the normal process is to install the new version right on top of the old one so you did it the right way. Does Sage actually work?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sage works very poorly, and locks up frequently and placeshifter does not work well at all. I really do not understand how these two got simutaneously installed and why I cannot get them to uninstall. This goes beyond just a SageTV issue. However, with my system I have seen this as a problem before but I have always been able uninstall through Windows.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Lain--I'm sure you have already tried this, but did you re-download 6.5 installer just incase your original was corrupt?

Should you risk deleting all Frey Technology entries from the registry and deleting the SageTV folder from program files? I can't imagine your frustration right now!!

Steve
Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Sage Icon

If it were me and I had this problem with other applications as well then I would wipe the machine and start over from scratch.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
If it were me and I had this problem with other applications as well then I would wipe the machine and start over from scratch.
That ain't all that easy to do as I am in Germany and my machine is in the USA!!!!. That condition is not going to change anytime soon. The WAF is really taking a hit here but I do have an older machine with a niced fresh XP install in a box at home. If I can talk my wife through setting up UltraVNC and the router then I may be in business.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:51 AM
SageTVaholic

If you have two versions installed they are probably in 2 different directorys. See what directory holds what and reinstall 6.4 into that directory. (It might say it wants to repair. Go ahead and repair it.) Then you should be able to uninstall it. Reinstall 6.5 in it's directory and do a repair.
If they are both installed in the same directory then copy your wiz.bin out and reinstall 6.4. Repair it if it asks and then uninstall it after it is done. Reinstall 6.5 and then repair it. Copy your wiz.bin back in.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, here is the continuing story guys. At this point I do not think that the hard drive is functioning properly. This thing has run 24/7 for about 6 years so it is due. When I finally get home I think that the important data will be recoverable from some of the other drives inside, I hope. Any way, I had two other old computers with fresh XP installs (used as clients pre extender days and really barely HD capable so they were retired – could not sell at a price I would accept so I kept these for just such an occasion). Got on the phone and my wife plugged in the first one. I heard a loud pop and a scream over the phone. My guess is that the power supply blew. I will never know, this machine is not worth fixing. Plugged in the second machine and talked my wife through setting up RealVNC and setting up the port forwarding on the router. Actually got to remotely access the machine. When we restarted, we got no POST-nothing. I will never know what happened since this machine is also not worth fixing. Some days, it seems that the dark matter in the universe has complete control.

So I sent her off to the store for a new computer, external HD, USB tuner (she is pretty tech savvy, but asking her to build a computer is asking a bit much). I really prefer building my own but, now, in the days of extenders, I am not really trying to build a machine to do all - just run Sage service and serve files without local playback. So after many hours of working with her help, I got back up and running, sort of. I neglected to turn off standby (2 o’clock in the morning will do that to you) on the new machine so right now I cannot access it- at least I hope that is the reason. I will rectify that asap. One questions though. Does Sage default to wake from standby for recordings? If so which recordings (i.e. does this include intelligent recordings)? I am just wondering, if that is the case, I can just check ever hour or so and when I catch it in the awakened state, I can make the change. Is there any thing I can do now from a remote location to wake up the machine?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, I can confirm that it is a standby issue. I got lucky to check the webserver while it was recording. I set some other shows to record when I know I will be home (in Germnay). I can get to the machine then via VNC and reset the power parameters. On the good side, everything seemed to record as requested last night.