SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Arrow STV Import: Alternative Program Guide & Mini Guide for Default STV

This module will provide both an alternative program guide layout & a Mini Guide during video playback for the default STV. Each one can be turned on/off independent from the other – found in Detail Setup -> Customization.

The mini guide is useful for people stuck using ‘overlay’ but still want to browse the guide while viewing full video. It will ignore the video options window/or/panel.

The alternative program guide is purely based on personal preference and has no added functionality.

See Download section for more info, screenshots, & stvi file.

rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AltProgramGuide.jpg (40.1 KB, 1223 views)
File Type: jpg MiniGuide.jpg (20.2 KB, 1186 views)

Last edited by wado1971; 04-19-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Removed Version History - put into download section
Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 AM
SageTVaholic

I like the mini guide here. OOC - How will this work with the Banner and Backgrounds plugin?

TIA

B
Old 03-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
How will this work with the Banner and Backgrounds plugin?
good point - Not sure about the compatibility to those plugins but have a feeling it won't work so hot. I probably have some work to do on this front before release. Although, the miniguide should still be functional even when using those plugins.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

I’ve tested this import with the banner/fanart plugin by TiKi (as suggested by bcjenkins) and it seems to work fine. The miniguide has no issues at all and the alternative program guide simply does not use the banners but will go to the fanart info screen if you have that set.

Note: This import did not play well with the MiniGuide plugin by jbuszkie – choose only one.
**EDIT: The new version 0.5.1 now plays nice with the MiniGuide by jbuszkie. Both can be imported & used at the same time.
**EDIT#2: The new version (0.8.4) no longer works with jbuszkies miniguide.

rob

Last edited by wado1971; 04-19-2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: updated
Old 03-15-2009, 06:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Thank you for doing that.

B
Old 03-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Updated with version 0.5.1 (see initial post) - Should now operate as a normal stvi import without any need to add an internal screen when used with DynamicMenu (finally figured out my problem). The old version is still attached so make sure you choose 0.5.1.
rob
Old 03-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wado1971 View Post
Installation Notes: Extract the zip file (0.5.1) into your c:/program files/sagetv/sagetv & add the stvi to your "managed import list".
It would be great if you could post specific instructions on how to add it to the "managed import list". I don't see such a menu when I go to My Menu>Settings or anywhere else.

What menu is it in? Also what is the file name that I then load? I have spent about 10 minutes now trying different things and can't find that managed list or the file to import.

There are a lot of newbies out there, like me, that maybe aren't as familiar with installing these plugins and it would be great if everyone who posts a download posts very specific instructions on how to load it. That only takes a few lines of extra instructions and would help everyone greatly. Thanks.

Displays: Panasonic 65" P65S2 & 50" PX77E plasmas, 19", 26" & 32" LCDs, 4 HD200s
Source: 2 HD-PVRs, Rogers Toronto SA 8300HD PVR, 4250HD firewire tuned, WHS, SageTV, Sonos 1xZP100 & 3xZP120 wireless audio, Gigabyte GA45-E45-UD3R mobo, 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo E5200 (2MB L2), Nvidia GeForce 96400GT, 120GB OS drive, 1 & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Green, Mushkin 2GB DDR2 800 SDRAM, El Cheapo case, Corsair 520HX modular Power Supply.

Last edited by TorontoSage; 03-15-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSage View Post
It would be great if you could post specific instructions on how to add it to the "managed import list". I don't see such a menu when I go to My Menu>Settings or anywhere else.

What menu is it in? Also what is the file name that I then load? I have spent about 10 minutes now trying different things and can't find that managed list or the file to import.

There are a lot of newbies out there, like me, that maybe aren't as familiar with installing these plugins and it would be great if everyone who posts a download posts very specific instructions on how to load it. That only takes a few lines of extra instructions and would help everyone greatly. Thanks.
Are you using default STV or SageMC? This is for the default STV. And presumably, since you are a newbie, you have a fairly-recent version of Sage, right (older versions were different from the instructions in the following paragraph)?

In that case, go to Setup/Detailed Setup/Advanced/Manage STVI Plugins. Choose "add a new STVI plugin file". From there, you should see a list of all that you have available (if you have unzipped them to the right directory). Choose the one you are trying to add, and then "force rebuild". That should be all there is to it. This is generally the way you do it for any plugin.

Note that, depending on the plugin, you might need to add a menu item to access the feature (not the case on this particular one, but some others). In that case, you need to either do Studio work, or else have nielm's Dynamic Custom Menus installed (which I would recommend for anyone using the default STV).
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

I do have SageMC. I did not realize that 'default STV' meant you cannot have SageMC installed. I have SageMC installed and I thought that this particular plugin would allow me to see the show information for shows that are not currently playing with white text instead of black. At least it looks that way from the screen shot that is posted. Right now the TV Schedule shows black lettering if the show is not currently on (but if I put my cursor over the show the text changes to white). Anyway, I can't even read the black text that currently shows and don't know how to change it to white.

Displays: Panasonic 65" P65S2 & 50" PX77E plasmas, 19", 26" & 32" LCDs, 4 HD200s
Source: 2 HD-PVRs, Rogers Toronto SA 8300HD PVR, 4250HD firewire tuned, WHS, SageTV, Sonos 1xZP100 & 3xZP120 wireless audio, Gigabyte GA45-E45-UD3R mobo, 2.5 GHz Core 2 Duo E5200 (2MB L2), Nvidia GeForce 96400GT, 120GB OS drive, 1 & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Green, Mushkin 2GB DDR2 800 SDRAM, El Cheapo case, Corsair 520HX modular Power Supply.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Version 0.6.3 moved to download section

I've posted a new version (0.6.3) in the download section.

Main change is it now works well with both the Banner & JB MiniGuide. I kind of got hooked on Banners while testing it.
Edit: 0.8.4 no longer works together with JB's import

Last edited by wado1971; 04-19-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Sage Advanced User

I just got around to trying it out and I ran into a couple problems. Is there any way to adjust the transparency? I do all of my TV viewing through extenders and it is very difficult to read when you are browsing channels.

How do you get out guide when it is up on the screen without changing the channel? I tried hitting back and that did not do anything right away but after a couple presses it would get out. would be nice if it would just go back to whatever it was at like the rest of the interface.

Is there any possible way to just use the miniguide in replace of JB's miniguide? I like showing what is going to be on for the next 1.5 hours instead of what is currently on. On that front how would I change it so that when you press the up arrows it goes to the miniguide, JB's miniguide has that option?

Other than that looks great and thanks for creating it.

Jayson
Headless ArchLinux 2.6.34 64-bit, SageTV 7.0.15
Sun JRE 1.6.0_20
Comskip&PlayonWindows XP 2CPU and 1GB Ram Allocated
Clients: 1 Media MVP and 2 STX-HD100
Old 04-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'll check these issues out tonight - could you clarify a couple things for me first?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrijay View Post
Is there any way to adjust the transparency? I do all of my TV viewing through extenders and it is very difficult to read when you are browsing channels.
First, I don't use extenders or VMR9 (which allows transparent menus) so you'll have to help me out here. Are you using overlay or VMR9? Is this regarding the miniguide or alternate program menu?

Quote:
How do you get out guide when it is up on the screen without changing the channel?
The alternate program guide should operate just like the default. What "back" command are you using (keyboard/remote command)? Within the 3-row miniguide you'll see an option for "exit program guide" when a show is selected (within the popup menu).

Quote:
Is there any possible way to just use the miniguide in replace of JB's miniguide?
Yes, this import is stand alone and my comment about JB's miniguide is only about compatibility and for those users who would like to install both.
Quote:
On that front how would I change it so that when you press the up arrows it goes to the miniguide, JB's miniguide has that option?
JB's miniguide uses arrow buttons to invoke the guide - which is very nice/fast. I'll need to think about a way to invoke fast access to this 3-row miniguide. Now you have me thinking.... I might also put it on a timeout so that it will disappear after a set time without user input. Hmm.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

There really is no VMR9 or overlay setting for extenders. The closest that you can get to it would be the smae thing that placeshifter does.

The command that I using is remote based back which the keyboard alternative accorfing to the manual is Alt+Left. i have to hit the back button 3 times in order for it to go to the main info screen which shows the current place in the show and main info on top. I can then let it timeout to go back to viewing the same show. I see that if I select a show I get the option to exit the program guide, does not seem very intuitive and was not the first place I would look.

My comment about JB's miniguide is just saying that what I am looking to do is use the 3-row miniguide when I hit the up and down arrow's like JB's does and then when I hit the guide button I get the full screen guide window.

Thanks,
Jayson
Headless ArchLinux 2.6.34 64-bit, SageTV 7.0.15
Sun JRE 1.6.0_20
Comskip&PlayonWindows XP 2CPU and 1GB Ram Allocated
Clients: 1 Media MVP and 2 STX-HD100
Old 04-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

New Version 0.8.4 uploaded.
Get the file & see the changes in the download section. Thanks harrijay for your suggestions!

rob
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Sage User

I can't seem to get this new version to work? I'm not using JB's mini guide and I've followed the instructions exactly but after the import I don't see a settings option in the detailed set up? I did notice that the old stvi was 997kb and the new one is 128kb ... Should that be right??

Any help would be appreciated. I really like the new updates and look forward to using this.

-sean

Last edited by Sean977; 04-20-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean977 View Post
I can't seem to get this new version to work? I'm not using JB's mini guide and I've followed the instructions exactly but after the import I don't see a settings option in the detailed set up? I did notice that the old stvi was 997kb and the new one is 128kb ... Should that be right??

Any help would be appreciated. I really like the new updates and look forward to using this.

-sean
I just uploaded a new zip file which includes the gkusnick jar file (forgot to include it). This may be your issue. If not, let me know what version your running and any other imports so I can test.
rob
Old 04-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Sage User

That did it. Works great now!!

Thanks,
-sean
Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
SageTVaholic

wado1971 ,

When using the miniguide while watching Live TV and I hit the Back button on my remote it exits the guide.... but it brings up the Sage OSD. is there a way to exit the guide and not see the Sage OSD?... this also happens when you let the mini guide timeout.

BTW great job on the guide.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-24-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
wado1971 ,

When using the miniguide while watching Live TV and I hit the Back button on my remote it exits the guide.... but it brings up the Sage OSD. is there a way to exit the guide and not see the Sage OSD?... this also happens when you let the mini guide timeout.
This is starting to irritate me also. I'll put it on a to-do list but it may take awhile to get back on this project. If anyone 'studioish' has a quick fix suggestion please drop a line.

rob
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Sage Aficionado

Rob,

Just wondering... A great addition to this plugin might be a favorite channel list as part of the guide... or maybe a limitation tot eh channels that appear in the guide, like a filter. filtered versus unfiltered - filtered being only those channels my wife wants to watch!

What do you think? how hard would it be?

I have no studio experience, but I wonder if I could tackle it? I am a VB programmer...
DEFAULT STV
Comskip triggered by DirMON2 --- HD100 / HD200 /HD300
BMI fanart