SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Linux Discussion related to the SageTV Media Center for Linux. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV Linux should be posted here.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage Linux 'Appliance' - advice please

Hi All,

I've got a HD200, Windows Sage Client and Windows Sage server. Very happy Sage user. I'd like to get my friends into Sage systems - want to build them a something as cheaply as possible - they are not PC people so I want to give them an appliance rather than a PC. I'm thinking a linux based setup is the best idea?

One of my friends has a PS3 - so they don't need a DVD drive - I'm thinking for them the best solution is to build a tiny sage server - low power and have it just run 24x7 and they buy a HD200. Hardware is prob the trickiest bit here, and I need to make sure I get a dual PCIx tuner with linux support - any recommendations?? My main question I have is with the linux placeshifter client, how much CPU do I need on the server - I'd like to be able to record 2 HD streams at once and play back potentially 2 HD streams at the same time (if they ever added a second extender). TV only - not fussed on bluray rips, AVI files etc. Would one of the dual core atoms be able to do it or would I need a full Core 2 duo??

My other friend has no PS3 and I'd want to build them a client with a dvd player (maybe even bluray player). This is going to be tricky I'm thinking I'll need to base it around a DG45FC to have enough grunt to do the bluray, but I'm not sure what the linux support is like? I also wonder-is there a way to set the box up so it behaves like an appliance - standby/sleep with a remote - boots straight into the Sage client and doesn't need a keyboard - stops you from getting out of the Sage client into the PC?? How well would all this work if it was running the sage server as well - I'm thinking the standby side of things would be an issue? But must non-PC people would have an issue leaving the thing on all the time.

Would love to hear others thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
Mick
Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 AM
SageTVaholic

IMO - The best client is the extender. Dual tuner HD option is HD Homerun, have heard of varying degrees of success though. The 2250 from Hauppauge will (re?)begin development soon and would be an internal option.

Running placeshifter with anything means resources needed by server. What are the thoughts on comskip?

B
Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Sage Icon

A would not go with an Atom setup without someone who is using them already indicating it works well. The server part of the equation is uses little cpu power but if you want to run Comskip or Placeshifter it might be to much for the Atom. A dual core would be your best bet. AMD makes a low power version of thier X2 dual core that combined with a ATI 780G motherboard will give you a system that could also render HD at 1080 if necessary. If it will be a headless server you should also consider a case that will support a decent amount of hard drives for future expansion. I recommend the Antec Three Hundred at $60.

Prices on NewEgg:
Antec Three Hundred with power supply $100
GIGABYTE GA-MA78G-DS3HP $60
AMD Athlon X2 4850e $55
2GB RAM $25
DVD R/W $20
Now you need to add hard drives dependent on budget. Figure $100 per terabyte.
You are looking at $350 before shipping

This could be a good server or HTPC later if necessary.
Add about $50 for Intel build instead of AMD.

You will still need a tuner.
You did not mention what source you are dealing with.

The HDHR is great for antenna or Clear QAM HD signal but does not do Analog cable. It will also not deal with a external box like Cable or Satellite often has.

The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 is only $110 but if you need to change channels on a STB you will need the MCE edition at about $40 more. Alas there is not Linux support.

I would consider using WHS. It is $100 but will be more compatible with Tuner card at least in the short term.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the replies guys

Comskip is not a requirement. Just the ability to support the HD200 / Linux placeshifters - is that what a HD200 actually is? If I looked at the CPU usage of it would that be the same as the linux placeshifter I can install myself on a linux box?

Source would be over-the-air PAL TV. I run avermedia A16A's (old,Single,PCI) and a Hauppauge HVR 2200 (new,Dual,PCIx) in mine. Very happy with them both.The other popular choice here is the DNTV S3: http://www.digitalnow.com.au/product...NTVDualS3.html interestingly it allows you to turn the PC on with a remote which might be handy for an all-in-one...

I'll have a look at those links SWKerr, thanks! The case is not what I'm after though - it's going to sound stupid, but it's a psychological thing - these aren't computer people and if I give them a physically big box and say it must stay on 24x7 they'll baulk at it, but if it's a physically small box, then it'll be okay-even though it may use the same power. So I'm keen to go for a mini ITX footprint. That's mainly why I was considering the atom. Problem is I can't find a cheap mini ITX case- they are all very expensive. I'm in Australia and our exchange rate is terrible at the moment which makes things worse. The HD200 cost me about $450 aussie dollars I think...

It only needs 1x 3.5"HDD bay, no optical drive. I'll stick a 1TB or 1.5TB drive in it and that'll be okay for their needs. Potentially I was thinking of using a USB key as the system drive, but not sure how that'd go with the gentoo based sage setup?? I was looking at MiniMyth which can do this, but I don't really have the skills to adapt this to sage. If I could get the USB key to work and set it up cleverly in terms of paths it might give me an easy way to 'upgrade' their system for them - just swap the key. Would need their settings files stored somewhere other than the key though. This is where I really need help though as I'm lost on the linux side of things.

Is anyone out there running a linux all-in-one server + client? Or a linux client with blu-ray player? Would love to hear about your setup.

Thanks,
Mick
Old 03-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madz View Post
Thanks for the replies guys

Comskip is not a requirement. Just the ability to support the HD200 / Linux placeshifters - is that what a HD200 actually is? If I looked at the CPU usage of it would that be the same as the linux placeshifter I can install myself on a linux box?
Not really. It does run Linux, but the hardware is based on the Sigma Designs chip which plays back in hardware. The design is similar to the PopcornHour. The best reason I can think of for using the HD200 for what you want is that your friends can't get it to revert to being a PC by accidental reboots etc. When I still used client PC's my wife could never watch more than 1 or 2 recordings without help. Now the one and only solutions to all problems at the TV is "Turn it off and turn it back on and wait a minute."
Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Sage Icon

you might look for the Shuttle K4500. Not sure if you can find it in you neck of the woods. Should be able to get it for less than on the Shuttle Website. It will not be a small as an ITX setup and only has a single PCI slot for a Tuner card.

http://us.shuttle.com/KPC/index.htm

BareBones Kit in $99US
http://directron.com/kpck45black.html

Jetway carries a line of reasonably priced ITX bare bones kits but the reviews I have read say they are louder than you would expect.
http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/index.html