SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Help! Extenders can no longer connect.

I was trying to troubleshoot a Placeshifter via internet problem. So I tried disabling Placeshifter and Extenders on my server (WHS) and it gave a message like - "SageTV Service will have to stop and restart". I then re-enabled the Placeshifter/Extenders. Nothing seemed strange except if the SageTVService died then shouldn't the UI go dead for a bit (it didn't) - I was using the Sage.exe UI on my WHS server.

But now I cannot connect to my server with the extenders. The extenders (I have tried on 2 of my HD-200 extenders) find the server and say connecting upon bootup but they never come back to life - I just get a black screen. I have also tried booting the extenders into standalone mode and then manually going into server extender - same thing. You can shut the extender off with the power button on the remote but the power will not come back on - you have to pull the power plug to start over again and end up in the same place

I have rebooted my server and still the same thing -anyone have any other ideas?

I have one client PC and it still seems to work ok.

This will seriously kill the WAF on my system.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you in fact stop and restart the service? Have you checked to see if the service is actually running?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Service is running - I can see it in TaskManager. I never did manually stop it as I assumed that Sage would stop it as part of the disabling of Placeshifter/Extenders. But since all of that I have rebooted the server without any change - extenders can't connect but the Webserver is running and it is making a recording - at least the Vista sidebar gadget shows a recording in progress.

One other weird thing - Placeshifter works fine (on LAN). So the only thing that won't work is my Extenders.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator

First, changing the Media Extender and Placeshifter Server setting doesn't restart the service; the on-screen dialog asks whether to restart the SageTV Server (the setting right above the option for Media Extender and Placeshifter Server) because that needs to get restarted for the extender server change to take effect.

Double check that the Media Extender and Placeshifter Server option is still enabled. If it is enabled, then toggle the SageTV Server option off, then back on, in order to reset it. See if the extender can connect after that.

Check the extenders' properties files in the 'client' subdirectory to see if the files got corrupted somehow. As a test, you could rename the .properties & .autobackup files & try connecting an extender again.

Finally, enable debug logging and see what the server's log says when you try connecting an extender.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 PM
SageTVaholic

I fixed the problem - I had changed by Placeshifter port in sage.properties from 31099 to 8088 as I can't get PS to work via the net and I thought I might be able to fix this by changing the port. I changed extender_and_placeshifter_server_port and placeshifter_port_forward_extern_port. Once I changed these back to 31099 all was well.

How would I change the placeshifter port if I wanted to and not hose my extenders? Or should I just change the external port forwarding to use whatever I want coming in but forward it to 31099 on my server?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Or should I just change the external port forwarding to use whatever I want coming in but forward it to 31099 on my server?
That's what the v6.5 SageTV PDF manual suggests on p. 226, in the Firewall Settings section.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.