SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Building a new theater room - need advice

I have messed with every dvr package known to man over the past few years but now I have a new house and open walls! I want to install a dedicated first class system.

I live in Tahoe so no antenna coverage and no dish signal through the trees. I have Charter cable. I dug through my boxes of pc stuff and found my hauppague cards (3 tuner inputs) and a couple of wireless mvp's that never worked. I own a Sage license for media center and two for placeshifter.

I want to build a WHS server for the new room and placeshift to two other locations and 4 laptops.

Here's my question - I painfully remember that wireless and changing changing channels were the big hassles last time I tried this. I have lurked here for a couple of days and have found very little on remotes/changing channels. I need my premium channels so unless the HDHR box can be hooked in downstream of my set top box, it's useless.

Also, it looks like no one tries to run a local tv next to the server anymore. We used to spend $ making the HTPC quiet. Is it possible/advisable to run a tv from the WHS server? I've noticed that many people stick an extender box on even if it's in the same room as the tv. why? How does the HD-200 handle channel changes on the cards?

In summary, I can finally hard wire my three tv locations to the server box. I just need to be convinced that changing channels has been "modernized".

Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Most people use hd200 overs pc's because they playback better no codecs needed nothing it just works especially for hd.

Also WHs is not meant to run sagetv on it locally it is meant to be well a server only.

The best way to change channels is via firewire if you cable box has it. To get hdtv you will need hd-pvr.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks. I will build up a WHS server and order one HD-200. Considering my existing investment, it's a low risk proposition. BTW - Here in Tahoe we can't get HD yet!!! I just got AT&T DSL. It's a town full of vacation homes and the 21,000 of us locals that are 5 years behind the times.

Which forum can I cruise through to find out the latest setups for channel changing?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoetim View Post
Which forum can I cruise through to find out the latest setups for channel changing?
Here's something to get you started
Old 04-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Sage Icon

I watch TV on my WHS today without issue. I pump it out to my old analog sets via coax cable and control it with a firefly remote. I have Client PCs for the HD sets. If you want to try it go ahead you can always add another extender if you don't like the results.

The extender is easier to get perfect picture with but that does not mean you can not get a great picture with an HTPC. With the ATI 780G motherboard and AMD X2 low power cpu you can build an HD capable HTPC box pretty cheap these days. (Not as cheap as the extender) Considering you do not have HD signal source you might consider the HTPC because of the HD Internet content you can get. Netflix, ABC, Hulu etc. Getting online content on the extender is problematic.

I consider the view form the mountains to the Lake to be in HD. It is a beautiful place. (Sill can get DirecTV? Its not just one giant tree canopy. Break out the chainsaw. You need firewood don't you)