SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD200 date/time display glitch (now with pics and log!)

Pretty much everywhere my new HD200 displays a time and date, it displays it wrong.
  1. Numeric dates are displayed in dd/mm form. April 1 is 1/4 instead of 4/1.
  2. Times are missing the AM/PM. 3:05 PM is displayed as 3:05.
  3. Names of days and months are left out altogether, though there is usually a blank area where they should be. Sat, Apr 4 3:36 PM comes out looking like 4 3:36.

And so on just about anywhere in the UI where a date or time is shown. It's like the time/date font is missing the letters and like the date is set in European mode instead of American.

I've tried SaveTV V6.5.12.208 and V6.5.13.209, Java 1.6.0_11 on the server. I've tried the HD200 with both the latest recommended firmware "20081230 0" and the beta firmware "20090403 0", both SageTV3 and SageMC STV with and without my favorite imports. Client PC with same STV and imports displays fine. I've changed every setting I can find to no avail. I'm open to suggestions. I've attached a log which shows some fails and hangs, but I don't know what to make of it.

Now with pics!

Recording detail (client/extender)

http://home.comcast.net/~troycheek/pics/detail.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~troycheek/pics/detailhd.jpg

System info (client/extender)

http://home.comcast.net/~troycheek/pics/system.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~troycheek/pics/systemhd.jpg

List of recordings (client/extender)

http://home.comcast.net/~troycheek/pics/recordings.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~troycheek/p...cordingshd.jpg

Corner detail on the extender

http://home.comcast.net/~troycheek/pics/rechd.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_0.txt (28.4 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by troycheek; 04-07-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Who recognizes this language?

After deleting the server's client files (again) and resetting the HD200 (again), I finally got month names and AM/PM to start displaying. However, they are in a language I don't recognize:

In addition to all times and dates, under UI Language, when I choose English from the list, instead of English, it tells me I selected a squiggle. The German, Italian, etc appear to be correct as well as I can tell.

I vaguely remember seeing a font like this when I first installed Windows XP. During the installation, Windows somehow got the idea that I lived somewhere in the Middle East and needed special language support. The time in my Windows system tray had squiggles similar to these. However, it changed to AM/PM once I changed the settings in Region and Language Options. I've checked every setting I can find and if Windows still thinks I live in Saudi Arabia (or wherever), I can't find it, so I can't see how SageTV or the HD200 found it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg info.JPG (20.9 KB, 474 views)
Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Sage Icon

Have you looked in your properties files? You should have one for the server called sage.properties, and one for each extender. They will be located on your server PC inside the SageTV installation directory (C:\Program Files\Sage TV\....). Just open them on your server computer using Notepad or a similar text editor. I would start by checking these lines:

ui/translation_country_code=
ui/translation_language_code=

On mine they are blank and everything is in American English. I believe that if they have some value, Sage will try to translate things for other languages and localizations.

You could also search your properties files for the word "font". There are several places that list a font face (mine are pretty much all set to "Arial". If you have some funny font, it could explain the squiggles.

PS - You can look at the properties files with Sage running, but you can't edit them. You must Completely shut down Sage (including stopping the Sage Service) before you open the properties files for editing or your changes won't take.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Have you looked in your properties files?

ui/translation_country_code=
ui/translation_language_code=

On mine they are blank and everything is in American English. I believe that if they have some value, Sage will try to translate things for other languages and localizations.
I had looked in the properties files but hadn't noticed those line. I tried a whole bunch of changes specifying new countries and new languages (running up and down the stairs with every change since the server is in the basement and the HD200 is in the family room upstairs), but in the end, the answer was simply this:

ui/translation_language_code=English

This changed the squiggles to English letters and the dates to the American mm/dd format like I'm used to. It also changed the UI Language displayed in the Detailed Setup to English instead of the squiggle. However, if I select English as the UI Language using the Detailed Setup screen, it's back to the squiggle. Apparently, I have to tell SageTV to translate my English into English in sage.properties for it to work.

Thanks loads for the help, Tiki!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Administrator

I suggest you contact SageTV support to find out what is happening because "English" isn't even a valid language code for that property, so it is telling it to use a non-existent language & probably defaults to the normal untranslated settings.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had bet myself that you would reply to this thread, but I lost because I had bet that you'd tell me what page of the manual to look on to fix the problem.

You're right that it doesn't have to be a valid code, as "Pig Latin" works just as well for me, and I'm pretty sure that's not a supported UI language.

I've sent SageTV support the story so far. We'll see what they have to say.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV support, after requesting a few more log files, decided that the problem was "probably the default locale for Java on your computer is set incorrectly. But your workaround is sufficient and fixes it."

I uninstalled Java and installed the latest (_13). I removed the workaround and tried again. Instead of English, the UI Language setting now says that it's Arabic, but all the menus are in English and all the times and dates are in the proper (American) format, so the family is happy now.