SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:00 AM

Leadtek WinFast PxVC1100 Transcoding Card is in USA

About time
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ast%20PxVC1100

For thoses of you that wonder what it is read this
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1072372
Read the Frist US Review
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=1590&pageID=7026
Old 06-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Sage Expert

SWEET!

I've been waiting for this. But it's a bit pricey. ouch.

Potential uses for this:
-Real time encoder for the Blackmagic Intensity Pro using the network encoder. Not sure exactly the interface but this would bring a new way of capturing HD. unfortunately the price of admission for such a setup would be >$600

-Hardware transcoding for Placeshifter if the proper interface(s)/encoders could be coded in or imported to work with SageTV

-Hardware encoding for archiving recordings from MPEG2 to H.264

-Hardware transcoding for backing up recordings to DVDs

-Using super resolution to upconvert DVD/DIVx library.

-Hardware comskip ??? (I dont even knwo if this is possible).
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee

Last edited by Clift; 06-18-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
SWEET!
I've been waiting for this. But it's a bit pricey. ouch.
I agree on that one a $100 chearp would have been nice starting point.

Quote:
Potential uses for this:
-Real time encoder for the Blackmagic Intensity Pro using the network encoder. Not sure exactly the interface but this would bring a new way of capturing HD. unfortunately the price of admission for such a setup would be >$600
BundleSoftware is Pegasys TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress

Quote:
-Hardware transcoding for Placeshifter if the proper interface(s)/encoders could be coded in or imported to work with SageTV
As far I know of it hard code API which is a real dumber it dosen't support Directshow at all but I haven't look at lates drivers but there is a free SDK so that may or not be a problem.

Quote:
-Hardware encoding for archiving recordings from MPEG2 to H.264
Yup

Quote:
-Hardware transcoding for backing up recordings to DVDs
Yup

Quote:
-Hardware encoding for commercial cutting
Far I know of this product is designed to fit a production workflow not an editing workflow as far I know but who know may that has change in last 5 mos but I haven't heard any thing by chance any here know some one at Pegasys that can fine out.

Quote:
-Hardware comskip ??? (I dont even knwo if this is possible).
[/QUOTE]
There no piont in this after all what would be useful is biuld in commercial cutting hehehe
Old 06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Wouldn't it make more sense for Sage to take advantage of Nvidia's Cuda or ATI's Stream/Avivo for video converting as this opens up 100's of cards to do the converting both today and into the future? As opposed to just this one card?
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Quote:
As far I know of it hard code API which is a real dumber it dosen't support Directshow at all but I haven't look at lates drivers but there is a free SDK so that may or not be a problem.
Good point, but I don;t believe you would need directshow. Since the encoding happens in real time (really, actually faster than real time) you could simply encode the requested file to whatever format is specified and according to available bandwidth to another file. The SageTV server would then send that file to the Placeshifter client...
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 06-18-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Good point, but I don;t believe you would need directshow. Since the encoding happens in real time (really, actually faster than real time) you could simply encode the requested file to whatever format is specified and according to available bandwidth to another file. The SageTV server would then send that file to the Placeshifter client...
No not really you would need per-set the setting other then that it would end up been what ever the default is.
There for you would need directshow to send commands for setting up the deivce or have hard code API to make call commands for setting up the device before it start doing it job.

Nvidia's Cuda is H264 only or ATI's Stream/Avivo
As it stand now Cuda get major thumbs down there no option for doing MPEG-2 output.
For get buy new GPU you have spend at less $300 for a GTX 280 then you need good High capability PSU 500/600 watt with 36amps min that at lease $100 all ready $100 more then the PxVC1100 then you have and pray that GTX 280 will fit in your case.
To me it still a lot cheaper just to get Leadtek WinFast PxVC1100 and be done with it and not power hog or heater.

If what somenody told me is rigth
For encoding to H.264 with the 3D capability scale linearly with the number of cores on the hardware, and belive my brother 9500 GT with 16 cores runs at 4/5 fps at top and that taking 720x480 up it 1920x1080 an it took 2 hours to do and it was only a 30 min clip how ever lower rez clip well be much faster.

Last edited by SHS; 06-19-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post

Nvidia's Cuda or ATI's Stream/Avivo is H264 only
As it stand now Cuda get major thumbs down there no option for doing MPEG-2 output.
For get buy new GPU you have spend at less $300 for a GTX 280 then you need good High capability PSU 500/600 watt with 36amps min that at lease $100 all ready $100 more then the PxVC1100 then you have and pray that GTX 280 will fit in your case.
To me it still a lot cheaper just to get Leadtek WinFast PxVC1100 and be done with it and not power hog or heater.
do and it was only a 30 min clip how ever lower rez clip well be much faster.
That is incorrect my brother. I know for a fact that ATI's Stream can do Mpeg2. You may want to read up:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pgpu,2335.html

In fact when you consider that for around $200 you can get a Radeon HD4890 (their top of the line single GPU card), it seems to me it makes more sense to build support for Stream (as an example) which can also be used for video playback and gaming (so multi-purpose) than to limit support for a single card that isn't nearly as common.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 06-19-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
That is incorrect my brother. I know for a fact that ATI's Stream can do Mpeg2. You may want to read up:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pgpu,2335.html

In fact when you consider that for around $200 you can get a Radeon HD4890 (their top of the line single GPU card), it seems to me it makes more sense to build support for Stream (as an example) which can also be used for video playback and gaming (so multi-purpose) than to limit support for a single card that isn't nearly as common.
Ops my bad put only in the wrong place dran it
I don't know what make of ATI Stream being I can't make use it been AMD will mot support older HD 3850 but form what I have read ATI Stream is heavily CPU dependent and independent of the GPU (4670 performs exactly like a 4890) and number seem to be having problem with it.
In min way there this why nVidia win hands down h@ll there ever support there old AGP card in Windows 7 where ATI dosen't they alway gives us some lame a@@ story.

Let not for get that need add in a new High capability PSU 500/700 watt
To me it still a lot cheaper just to get Leadtek WinFast PxVC1100 and put in my SageTV Server box and be done with it and some talking to Jeff (SageTV) have it be support with in SageTV for Placeshifter and transcoding with out add more heat and power hog Video card.
Thoses card need be left to gaming system not what we need it for.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Ops my bad put only in the wrong place dran it
I don't know what make of ATI Stream being I can't make use it been AMD will mot support older HD 3850 but form what I have read ATI Stream is heavily CPU dependent and independent of the GPU (4670 performs exactly like a 4890) and number seem to be having problem with it.
In min way there this why nVidia win hands down h@ll there ever support there old AGP card in Windows 7 where ATI dosen't they alway gives us some lame a@@ story.

Let not for get that need add in a new High capability PSU 500/700 watt
To me it still a lot cheaper just to get Leadtek WinFast PxVC1100 and put in my SageTV Server box and be done with it and some talking to Jeff (SageTV) have it be support with in SageTV for Placeshifter and transcoding with out add more heat and power hog Video card.
Thoses card need be left to gaming system not what we need it for.
Actually according to the reviews (including the one I linked to in this thread), the new AMD/ATI Stream actually uses considerably less CPU. In fact in the new revision/driver with GPU enabled encoding, they were only seeing 40% CPU usage (yes this is on a Phenom II 940 so it isn't exactly a slouch of a CPU). The Nvidia solution (CUDA); however, did use all (or most) of the CPU cycles available.

I will grant you the power consumption is a tricky point. However, IF a 4670 GPU (which I own) actually results in the same speed in ATI Stream as the 4890, then you really wouldn't need a new power supply as the 4670 only uses 69 watts of power at maximum output (and can be had for about $70) which (yes) is still double then Leadtek at 35 watts; however, now the difference is almost $230 in the upfront cost!!! $230 can buy you a lot of power. Based on some quick math of 10 cents a killawatt hour, it would take roughly 7.9 years before the Leadtek would pay for itself IF it was running 24/7.

In 7.9 years our processors will be powerful enough not to even need this device.

And back to my original point: You have a single device that does one thing. Tapping into a GPU to do this, means you have a multitude of devices that all have a multitude of functions. Oh and you know that AMD and Nvidia aren't going to stop supporting functionality this as this is a major selling point going forward, but with a single card from a single manufacturer, it is only a matter of time before they no longer support it.

Last edited by paulbeers; 06-19-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:05 AM
SageTVaholic

I would definitely like to see some sort of 'external transcoder' option in sage's placeshifter server. Even if it was just a command line to create a temporary file, you could choose what external trancoding program to use. Then sage would just stream the transcoded temp file back to the placeshifter client... this would also allow smoother skip-backs and such as well. This would open up placeshifter to be able to use any software or hardware transcoding system, as long as the transcoder supported a commandline interface.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 06-22-2009, 07:26 AM

A new review
http://www.amdzone.com/index.php/rev...nfast-pxvc1100
Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Interesting product. For that price I hoped it would be capable of H.264 High Profile. It is at least capable of Level 4.1 but is stuck using the Main Profile. So none of the more advanced features of H.264 which really make it more attractive are available.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:39 AM

Well there is sample of DirectShow filter in SDK