SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:19 PM
SageTVaholic

Restricted Access STVi - Testers Needed

I'm working on at STVi that uses passwords to restrict access to different functions in the default STV. I think this will be useful for instances where you want to limit what extender, placeshifter, or client users can do.

There are lots of places where I needed to add "access checks" and I'm sure I missed a few so I am requesting assistance in testing. I also do not have a linux or Mac system to test things on so somebody testing on those platforms would be very helpful.

To install:

Stop Sage and add the following properties in client/placeshifter/extender properties file. Note that for placeshifters and extenders the properties file is located in the SageTV\clients folder and is named MACADDRESS.properties where MACADDRESS is that MAC address of the placeshifter or extender.

rra/enabled=true
rra/allow_delete=false
rra/allow_record=false
rra/allow_config=false
rra/allow_server_config=false
rra/delete_pwd=PASSWORD
rra/record_pwd=PASSWORD
rra/config_pwd=PASSWORD
rra/server_pwd=PASSWORD

Once granted "delete" privileges the user will be able to delete recordings and other media types.

Once granted "record" privileges the user will be able to setup recordings, modify recording schedules, modify favorites and watch live TV. (Live TV is considered a "recording.")

Once granted "config" privileges the user will be able to change configuration items that only effect the current client or placeshifter.

Once granted "server" privileges the user will be able to change configuration items that effect all clients or placeshifters.

The first time a user tries to access a "restricted" function they will be prompted for a password. If it's entered properly they will have access to those functions until the client/placeshifter/extender is disconnected.

Passwords can be the same or different for each function. If they are the same the user will only be required to enter the password once and all functions (config, delete, record, server) with same password will also be allowed.

Right now passwords are not encrypted. I will add this in the future.

There are no restrictions on setting and unsetting the "watched" status.

There are no restrictions on playlist manipulations.

To install on a client:

1. Download the attached file and unzip the STVi to the SageTV\SageTV\STVs\STV3 directory.
2. Import the STVi. (rra ALPHA 1.stvi)
3. Stop the client and restart the client. Do not skip this step. When Sage loads it initializes some variables and if you just go through the import process without restarting the client (no need to stop/start the server) things will not get properly initialized.

To install on an extender:

1. Download the attached file and unzip the STVi to the SageTV\SageTV\STVs\STV3 directory.
2. Import the STVi. (rra ALPHA 1.stvi)
3. Stop server and restart the server. Do not skip this step. When Sage loads it initializes some variables and if you just go through the import process without restarting the server things will not get properly initialized.

To use as the STV for a placeshifter user:

This is slightly more complicated because you must use a client to create an STV that will become the default STV for a placeshifter user.

2. Make sure the client is running the default STV.
3. Import the STVi. (rra ALPHA 1.stvi)
4. Rename the STV with the import to a user-friendly name. Probably the easiest way to do this is to stop the client or server and look in the SageTV\SageTV\STVs\STV3 directory for the newest file named something like "SageTV3_withimports_..." Rename that to something like "SageTV3-for placeshifter.xml".
5. Use the normal process to assign the newly created STV as the default STV for placeshifter users. (Setup->Detailed Setup->Server->Manage Placeshifter Users. Click on the user name and change the default STV to the one you just created.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip rra ALPHA 1.zip (126.7 KB, 188 views)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.

Last edited by tmiranda; 08-23-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Sage Icon

Great idea. I was wondering just a few days ago how someone would keep kids, visitors, etc from completely hosing Sage from an extender.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Here is a new version with some changes in the File Browser section. It also fixes a bug in the password checking.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rra ALPHA 2.zip (132.8 KB, 174 views)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:15 AM
SageTVaholic

If I want to restrict config and not delete/record how would I configure that? Also, in my experience if you want every extender to pick up a setting place the settings in RemoteClients.properties.defaults.

Make sure to back up this file as it is overwritten with every installation.

B
Old 08-23-2009, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

To restrict all config but not record or delete:

rra/enabled=true
rra/config_pwd=PASSWORD
rra/server_pwd=PASSWORD
rra/delete_pwd=
rra/record_pwd=

The user will be prompted for a password the first time they try to delete/record something but if they just press OK (or Enter on the keyboard) they will be granted access.

Thanks for the pointer on RemoteClients.properties. I'm thinking I can just put it in the install instructions that you can set defaults by placing them in that file.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

Would you consider adding the ability to toggle each type of restriction on or off? Or if password is blank don't prompt? The prompt will confuse the wife and kids.

TIA

B
Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Yes, it's actually already on the "ToDo" list. I have been concentrating on getting the main functionality to work before getting to the finishing touches.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

No prompt for null password

B,

Here is a version that will not prompt for a password at all if it is null. So if you put:

rra/enabled=true
rra/config_pwd=PASSWORD
rra/server_pwd=PASSWORD
rra/delete_pwd=
rra/record_pwd=

The users will not be prompted for a password when they attempt to delete/record.

Let me know how it goes. I'm also very interested in making sure I caught all of the places where the password tests are needed.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: zip rra ALPHA 3.zip (134.3 KB, 152 views)

Old 08-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

So is the ability to watch a recording controlled by record_pwd?
Old 08-23-2009, 01:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toricred View Post
So is the ability to watch a recording controlled by record_pwd?
No. There are no restrictions on watching at all. record_pwd allows the user to schedule recordings, manipulate favorites, alter the recording schedule, and anything else that has to do with setting up or scheduling recordings.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Released

I've released v1.0. See here: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...441#post376441