SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Sage Expert

Recording Same show on two tuners

Is there a way to trick Sage into recording the same channel on two different tuners on the same machine? I have KFMBDT via OTA and Satellite via HDPVR and would like both recording it as lately the HDPVR has become very unreliable and KFMBDT OTA is fairly unreliable during the day. And I would hate to miss a bunch of the charger game this afternoon!
Old 09-20-2009, 01:43 PM
SageTVaholic

You could probably set up two favorites, one restricted to the OTA channel and the other to the Sat channel.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Sage Expert

Wow, I will try that.. great idea! Wait, they are both the same channel..hmmm
Old 09-20-2009, 01:53 PM
SageTVaholic

I think it should work. I've got a few favorites constrained to certain (usually OTA) channels and occasionally Sage IR will decide to record the version from one of the other versions. Worst case, I know you can force it with manual recordings.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Sage Expert

Since they are both KFMBDT they only show up once, how do you pick the OTV vs anything else where there is only one channel?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Hm, mine are always listed separately, OTA vs the ones I get over Dish.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Sage Expert

the manual record seemed to do it... Way Cool. I will have to try that in advance next time to make sure that works, I was already one minute into it when I setup the manual record.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Sage Expert

Its working..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recording.jpg (94.5 KB, 213 views)
Old 09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

I wanted to do something similar to the OP but I wanted to do analog and digital channels. I was having some issues with my HDHomerun and wanted to ensure I got our shows to record. I wanted them HD but it is better to have them in analog vs not having them at all Anyway, I wanted to setup a favorite for each channel. I did do that since the channel name was different. However, this didn't work. I asked a question and from what I can remember, if Sage sees the same ShowID, then it will only record it once using the favorites even if it has a favorite for two different channels. Since most shows have the same ShowID, it wouldn't record it using the favorites method, I had to do it manually. I had to verifiy the ShowID was the same via the default STV and indeed they are. I personally don't understand why favorites are setup this way. I mean, if I setup two favorites with the same ShowID but are on two different channels, they both should record from my point of view. I mean, if I setup the favorite, it should record the way I set it up. Anyway, enough ranting. It would be nice to have this changed but I don't expect it to.
Just thought I would share my experience from several months ago. It may have changed by now but I haven't tried it recently.
Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You could probably set up two favorites, one restricted to the OTA channel and the other to the Sat channel.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Sage Expert

fyi, the manual recording somehow recorded the wrong channel. not sure why that happened.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have the same issue, one OTA channel comes in so so (and it's also the one that carries the local football team, just a few 1000 miles further north, though that doesn't really matter here ...).

Anyhow, I got this one channel via satellite as well. Ideally I'd like to have both in the guide and be able to tune into the one that's better (e.g. watch OTA live, if it's OK, and record via sat/HD PVR). But Sage behaves pretty weird in this case. I can't even get both in the guide. It seems to be either or.

Yesterday I removed the OTA station (disabled in the channel setup), and left the only the satellite channel (and I did restart the SageTV service afterwards).
But this afternoon when I recorded the Seahawks game, I noticed that the HD PVR was not recording. My first thought was that the HD PVR failed, but that wasn't the case. Sage was actually recording OTA, even though that channel was disabled and the recording was scheduled via the satellite channel. I double checked that the sat channel is set to the correct physical channel (and not mapped to the OTA channel). How come that Sage uses another tuner instead?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by crarbo1 View Post
... I mean, if I setup two favorites with the same ShowID but are on two different channels, they both should record from my point of view...
My view exactly. At least there should be an option available in the setup section to overide this behaviour, for example "Ignore ShowID for Favorites on different channels" or some such wording.

I have a similar problem. I use OTA to receive HD but I have analog cable available. I'd like to record the show on both OTA and analog so that if the OTA recording is flaky or unuseable I'd have the analog as backup.

Cheers
Lester
English Proverb. Collected in: George Herbert, Jacula Prudentum (1651).
Old 09-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Administrator

The last time I checked, you can create two different Favorites for the same show on two different channels and have airings on both channels recorded.

But, the question in the first post of this thread has to do with the same exact channel on two different tuners. Those channels are not seen as separate channels, so the two Favorite method won't be possible because the show is really on the same channel.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
The last time I checked, you can create two different Favorites for the same show on two different channels and have airings on both channels recorded...
It is true that you can setup two different Favorites for the same show on two different channels. However if the airings have the same show id then only one appears to be recorded, at least on my system. For instance I have two favorites setup for "Heroes", one on an OTA channel and one on an analog channel. I checked the recording schedule yesterday and only the airing on the OTA HD channel was scheduled to record. I had to add the recording on the analog channel as a manual recording (I actually made both airings into manual recordings just in case).

Regards
Lester
Old 09-22-2009, 12:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Jacobs View Post
It is true that you can setup two different Favorites for the same show on two different channels. However if the airings have the same show id then only one appears to be recorded, at least on my system. For instance I have two favorites setup for "Heroes", one on an OTA channel and one on an analog channel. I checked the recording schedule yesterday and only the airing on the OTA HD channel was scheduled to record. I had to add the recording on the analog channel as a manual recording (I actually made both airings into manual recordings just in case).

Regards
Lester
My guess is that this is a side effect of something else that Sage does by design. What I mean is Sage is designed so that if you have a single normal favorite setup for a show and the same episode gets airedmultiple times, Sage only records it once. If it is already recorded or marked as "Watched" Sage won't record it again. I think that same logic is what prevents it from recording two shows with the same ID's even when they are set-up as two separate Favorites on two different channels.

Of course this is just speculation, as I haven't tried setting up two favorites like this, but I think it is logical.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 09-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
My guess is that this is a side effect of something else that Sage does by design...
Understood. However given the inherent unreliability of OTA those of us with analog backup (cable, satellite) would like to be able to override the standard logic.

Cheers
Lester
Old 09-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester Jacobs View Post
Understood. However given the inherent unreliability of OTA those of us with analog backup (cable, satellite) would like to be able to override the standard logic.
In that case, my suggestion would be to contact Sage through the Request Official SageTV Technical Support link on the Home page of this forum. Perhaps they can suggest a work-around or will consider making a change to this behavior for a future version of Sage.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR