SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Sage User

Help turning a full version into a client PC

Hello,

Thank you for any responses in advance. I have finally gotten my server ready for prime time so now I want to take my second full version of SageTV and use it as a client PC.

1 What do I have to do to make the full version run like a client? I cant seem to find what property line I need to change.

2 Also any suggestions about integrating my old machine as a client?

3 Should I use the old tuners on the old machine as network tuners?

4 Do I or can I use the 500gig on the old machine as storage?

What I built is a 1.5TB server dual core (something like 7550 processor) running XP home feeding 3 media MVPs (because they are way cheap like $20 on ebay), 1 occasional and 1 full time client with 7 Tuners (1 HD homerun, 1 Hvr 2250, 1 Hvr 1600 and 1 Pvr 150).

The soon to be client pc is an xp3000 500gig with 3 Tuners (all Pvr 150s).

Many thanks for any help with this.

Sincerely,

Genxnurse
Old 09-25-2009, 04:25 PM
SageTVaholic

You need to purchase the SageTV client license.

Gerry

EDIT: Oops-my mistake. Looks like -client is needed as a switch.
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.

Last edited by gplasky; 09-25-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxnurse View Post
Hello,

Thank you for any responses in advance. I have finally gotten my server ready for prime time so now I want to take my second full version of SageTV and use it as a client PC.

1 What do I have to do to make the full version run like a client? I cant seem to find what property line I need to change.

2 Also any suggestions about integrating my old machine as a client?

What I built is a 1.5TB server dual core (something like 7550 processor) running XP home feeding 3 media MVPs (because they are way cheap like $20 on ebay), 1 occasional and 1 full time client with 7 Tuners (1 HD homerun, 1 Hvr 2250, 1 Hvr 1600 and 1 Pvr 150).

The soon to be client pc is an xp3000 500gig with 3 Tuners (all Pvr 150s).

Many thanks for any help with this.

Sincerely,

Genxnurse

If you have 2 Licensed Sagetv full. You can use 1 as a client by starting it with the -client switch... no need to purchase a client license. See page 260 of your manual.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Hello,
I think you just start sage with the -client parameter. So, create a shortcut to "sagetv.exe -client".

Quote:
You could, but do you need to? It sounds like your new server has plenty of tuners.

Quote:
Again, you could. You could set up a shared folder on your 500 gig hard drive and set it up in Sage using UNC paths. But, you probably want Sage recording to local drives. It would probably be better to use your 500 gig hard drive for imported videos or music.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Sage User

Thank you so much for the responses. You guys are one of the main things that makes SageTV such a fantastic DVR program. Ahh page 206, I always seem to read the manual but I never seem to be able to find this stuff.

3 I am not sure how it will go with the tuners as I have always wanted more and more. With just one TV hooked up I really needed more than 3 as my wife would want to record a bunch of stuff and watch something else. So now with my wife and daughter and 4 TVs running off the server I am wondering if I will need more. Are network tuners worth the trouble or should I just get more tuners for the server (I have plenty of open spots)?

4 I have 102 and counting moves on one of the server drives so I would not need the space for that. It seems like a waste to let 500gig just sit there unused. I also would like to be able to access the shows we have recorded on the old computer. If I make that a network drive will I be able to do that? Will having the 500gig available as a network drive be worth the hassle?

Thanks again for all the help. Also Gerry thanks for the work on the playon Hulu thing. I am really crossing my fingers and praying that a working add on comes out as I think this would push my WAF into uncharted territory.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
3 I am not sure how it will go with the tuners as I have always wanted more and more. With just one TV hooked up I really needed more than 3 as my wife would want to record a bunch of stuff and watch something else. So now with my wife and daughter and 4 TVs running off the server I am wondering if I will need more. Are network tuners worth the trouble or should I just get more tuners for the server (I have plenty of open spots)?

4 I have 102 and counting moves on one of the server drives so I would not need the space for that. It seems like a waste to let 500gig just sit there unused. I also would like to be able to access the shows we have recorded on the old computer. If I make that a network drive will I be able to do that? Will having the 500gig available as a network drive be worth the hassle?
While you have the manual open, you may want to go to page 269, and look at network encoding. If you have two full license of SageTV server, you can take advantage of all of your tuners and the 500 gig hard drive in the old server. Seems like the simplest solution to me.

Stu
Old 09-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Sage User

Thanks everyone for all the help.

This has been a wonderful weekend project. I can't get my network encoders to work to save my life. Then after turning the power off on the client first time in months the power supply goes dead (Never doing a client again this thing dies and I'm getting a HD200). So I spend about 20 minutes swapping that out while my daughter decides to mop the kitchen by wetting a dust mop. Moma is going to be pretty mad about that one. So I can't seem to get this thing fixed and my WAF is going to drop like crazy.

So here is what I have done: I went into the properties file on the server and the backup properties file with the network_encoder_discovery=true . I went into the client and then I changed the properties file and the backup properties file with enable_encoding_server=true .I opened up the ports 6969 on the client and the 8271 on the server. I did the client switch in the exe file. I booted into client and I can't see any of the encoders. Is there something I need to change in setup? Any idea what I am doing wrong? Again many thanks for any responses and thanks for all the information so far.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the help.

This has been a wonderful weekend project. I can't get my network encoders to work to save my life. Then after turning the power off on the client first time in months the power supply goes dead (Never doing a client again this thing dies and I'm getting a HD200). So I spend about 20 minutes swapping that out while my daughter decides to mop the kitchen by wetting a dust mop. Moma is going to be pretty mad about that one. So I can't seem to get this thing fixed and my WAF is going to drop like crazy.

So here is what I have done: I went into the properties file on the server and the backup properties file with the network_encoder_discovery=true . I went into the client and then I changed the properties file and the backup properties file with enable_encoding_server=true .I opened up the ports 6969 on the client and the 8271 on the server. I did the client switch in the exe file. I booted into client and I can't see any of the encoders. Is there something I need to change in setup? Any idea what I am doing wrong? Again many thanks for any responses and thanks for all the information so far.
On the "old" server (the client), are you running sage as a service? That's the only thing I didn't see you specify directly.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Sage User

Thanks again for all the help. I did the client switch but could not get the network tuner to show up. I was not running the client as a service. Perhaps I will go back to the manual and see if this helps. It's hard to get time to tinker with the server when my wife and daughter aren't watching TV. I think I may be better served just picking up another HVR 2250 (I still have tons of space open). I think I will pull the old PVR 150s and send them to my son.

I am knee deep in the HD qam playback stuttering at the moment. Funny thing (and my saving grace) is that the MVP clients play the channels fine and the old client works well making HD into SD. The problem is that the HD TV upstairs (client onboard video from a gigabyte MA780G-UD3H ) stutters like crazy playing back the HD qam channels. My server (onboard video gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP) also crashed every time I tried to go through the HD homerun setup if I pulled up a greater than 480i channel. I think this may be due to my old network (Linksys 54Gs and 10/100 switch) so I picked up a gig switch and and a gig router as I think I am loosing packets like crazy with all my network traffic. I also pick up another 1-2TB drive and format it in 64k clusters to see if that helps. I downloaded Power DVD9 to the client to get the codecs but that didn't help either. I hope I can get this thing fixed before I start my MBA as then I will have no time. Thanks again for all the help.