SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportera View Post
I'm using:

HTPC Client: Core2Duo E6300 1.86 Ghz CPU, 4GB DDR2 800 memory, MSI 512 GeForce 9400GT Video, bluegears b-enspirer 7.1ch audio, nVidia Purevideo Platinum Video/Audio codec, Cyberlink H.262 codec.

What built in video decoder? I'm still using my old Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Untility to check and select default decoder. Is this a boo-boo when running Win 7 64?
Windows 7 comes with it's own MPEG2/H.264 decoder. The name is "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder"

If you add the following line to your properties file you can utilize it:

Code:
videoframe/additional_video_filters=Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
Also make sure that you have the latest native recording patch installed.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:36 AM
Sage Icon

W7 32 will use the MS Decoder for Mpeg2 without having to do anything...it is *very* entrenched. You have to use MCDU to take ownership and rename them (actually just rename them, but MCDU is easier) to set another decoder as default...even if you set DSFM to highest merit. The MS decoder seems fine...the only other decoder that worked as well was dropping to VMR9 and using nVIDIA...but you won't get the tray icon in W7. Cyberlink 8 & 9 decoders are finicky with glitches in the file, and TMT 3 decoders won't connect without going through a huge TMT2 folder swap excersize. TMT 2 was never lauded for DVD quality, so I didn't try those. I don't own WinDVD. Bottom line is the MS decoder is fine. Haven't fooled with H.264, but I've got all the Cyberlink, TMT2, and Divx versions registered, and they show up in Sage's UI.

P
Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
W7 32 will use the MS Decoder for Mpeg2 without having to do anything...it is *very* entrenched. You have to use MCDU to take ownership and rename them (actually just rename them, but MCDU is easier) to set another decoder as default...even if you set DSFM to highest merit. The MS decoder seems fine...the only other decoder that worked as well was dropping to VMR9 and using nVIDIA...but you won't get the tray icon in W7. Cyberlink 8 & 9 decoders are finicky with glitches in the file, and TMT 3 decoders won't connect without going through a huge TMT2 folder swap excersize. TMT 2 was never lauded for DVD quality, so I didn't try those. I don't own WinDVD. Bottom line is the MS decoder is fine. Haven't fooled with H.264, but I've got all the Cyberlink, TMT2, and Divx versions registered, and they show up in Sage's UI.

P
While I've learned alot of "forum abbreviations" over the years, I'm not familiar with MCDU or DSFM. Can you clarify? Also, I've tried the W7 MS Decoder but get a "black screen" with no audio. I admit I have not checked into latest patches or modify my properties file as Taddeusz advised. I'll have to look into that a little more. This may be a mute point right now as I do not have W7 running on my WHS (only on my HTPC client), and don't know yet if the video/audio studder problem is originating at the WHS or at my HTPC client. Therefore, while I may get the W7 MS encoder to work at the client, I do not have that option at WHS. And now I'm wondering if it matters whether or not you match what H.264 encoder you are using at the client with WHS.

Ive always liked the nVidia Purevideo encoder and using it right now for audio. I switched from EVR back to VMR9 to isolate a new problem I'm seeing with gradually losing sync between video and audio while watching a broadcast. Not sure if this is the problem, but I'm backing up on changes I've made to isolate this problem.

I'd really like to know how to get to the nvidia encoder setup screens since it no longer shows up as a tray icon in W7. Anybody figure this one out?

Also, I'm using the ArcSoft encoder for video as I found alot of posts seem to recommend it. But I'm still having problems with studder and still cannot switch back to SageMC due to additional video/audio studder in SageMC when I switch channels.

I wish someone could figure out and post a sticky that gives the most successful setups for HD-PVR, H.264, 64 vs 32 bit, and W7 vs XP. I'm going through so much trial and error right now that I may be screwing up more than I'm fixing and not getting anywhere.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Currently, I've found best results using Microsoft DVD-DTV Decoder for all video, and AC3Filter combined with ReClock Audio Renderer for audio. I've got an older receiver, so I still have to use AC3 for multichannel playback, and ReClock does a wonderful job of encoding anything passed from AC3Filter to AC3 for playback, while eliminating any tearing or lip sync issues.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
While I've learned alot of "forum abbreviations" over the years, I'm not familiar with MCDU or DSFM. Can you clarify?
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/04/media...windows-7.html

http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm

P
Old 04-21-2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loube View Post
there are issues with 64bit OS vista/win7 and the happauge wintv-500. From what I have researched it is due to happauge's drivers. Just a heads up.
Actually, it works fine if you roll the driver back to 2006.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 AM

I just upgraded to Windows 7, 64 bit and Sage TV works fine. The problem I am having is with the HD Theater. All the menus show up correctly as do the recorded files. When I try to play one of the videos, my screen goes blank and I have no sound or video. If I fast forward or pause, I get the bar at the bottom of the screen, but no video or sound. Any ideas?
Old 04-22-2010, 03:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Also, I'm using the ArcSoft encoder for video as I found alot of posts seem to recommend it. But I'm still having problems with studder and still cannot switch back to SageMC due to additional video/audio studder in SageMC when I switch channels.

I wish someone could figure out and post a sticky that gives the most successful setups for HD-PVR, H.264, 64 vs 32 bit, and W7 vs XP. I'm going through so much trial and error right now that I may be screwing up more than I'm fixing and not getting anywhere.
Found a fix to most of my problems. Sometimes you just have to sit down and read the SageTV Manual. See post #2 in below link.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47885

I still have the 2-5 second pause everyone else is complaining about, but the screen freeze / audio studder is gone. The black screen when changing channels (problem that came after going from 64bit to 32bit) is gone. The Microsoft DTV-DVD H.264 codec now works without jerky video. System seems to run much better. Now if I could just solve my EDID problems, I think I could be a happy camper.
Server: Sage WHS 7.0.9 - Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz, 4GB ram, 160GB(system) + 300GB(data) pooled HD, 400GB + 1TB non-pooled HD, MSI 9400GT video, 4-port serial, Windows Home Server 2003, 2-DTV H20 receivers, 2-HD-PVR E1 tuners, 2-Patterson usb translators for DTV usb to serial channel select control
Client 1: Sage Client 7.0.9 - Core 2 Duo E6300, 4GB ram, 400GB HD, Xonar 7.1 Audio, Blu-ray DVD, Asus 9500GT video with HDMI connect to Denon 3310CI and 60" LG Plasma, Windows 7 32bit