SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, if you go with a crappy service provider. If you've got satellite the cost is less than half that.

As for no need for USB UIRT or fewer connections, wake me up when something interesting happens. My USB UIRT is flawless and all my connections are burried in a utility room where nobody ever sees them.

Wake me up when there's a solution for some service other than the worst in the country (which is my only alternative to satellite).
Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

I wouldn't care except for the fact that a tree is blocking my line of sight to the satellite....stupid nature...
Old 08-24-2010, 01:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
I wouldn't care except for the fact that a tree is blocking my line of sight to the satellite....stupid nature...
Thankfully, we're more evolved than the trees, and have developed the chainsaw...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Thankfully, we're more evolved than the trees, and have developed the chainsaw...
Unfortunately, this same evolution has given us "lawyers" and "property lines".

Not much to do when the tree is on a neighbor's property...
Old 08-27-2010, 06:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Chainsaws aren't the only way we've evolved more than trees

http://www.solidsignal.com/cview.asp...tenna%20Towers

But seriously, there are always options.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

Nope, as a renter and not a homeowner I am limited by what I can do There's even this perfect little ledge above a maintenance shed adjacent to my patio that has perfect line of sight, but the complex's policy is that it must be on my patio and can not rise above the bottom of the deck of the apartment above me. Sat guy spent an hour trying to get it to work. He recommend I sneak one of the grounds crew some cash and have them trim a hole in the middle of the tree.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
Nope, as a renter and not a homeowner I am limited by what I can do There's even this perfect little ledge above a maintenance shed adjacent to my patio that has perfect line of sight, but the complex's policy is that it must be on my patio and can not rise above the bottom of the deck of the apartment above me. Sat guy spent an hour trying to get it to work. He recommend I sneak one of the grounds crew some cash and have them trim a hole in the middle of the tree.
okay, so yes, as a RENTER you don't have options. You're at the mercy of the landlord. but it's the landlord preventing you from having options, not the cable and sat companies.

On a somewhat related note, I've always wondered why more apartments aren't built with cable, and sat built-in. Properly multiswitched, you could ahve a couple well placed, large dishes, distributed to the whole complex. I would think the provider might chip in a bit to 'help out' with the system installation if it got them some extra subs.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 08-27-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

I never said it was the cable/sat companies...I was just moaning about not being able to have it

I had distributed satellite at a complex a couple years back. It was a mess because they kept remapping the channels on the time. So you'd go out of town and none of your recordings would be there because they moved around all the qam assignments while you were gone. They did this at least once to twice a month while I was there for a period of 6 months. I have no idea why...
Old 08-27-2010, 05:12 PM
SageTVaholic

theres a difference between that, which was basically a local complex wide cable system, and distributing the sat signal to individual customers in the building.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
you could probably run it off a nettop (or similar) w/ a 945G IGP, or maybe even virtualize w/ a USB DCT

SageMCTuner deletes the WTV/DVR-MS files when it's done so you wouldn't even need that much space.
In an earlier post someone asked about the minimum requirements for running MC and this was the answer. Any more insight? I have a copy of Windows7 laying around and some old hardware that is just begging to become a network encoder running SageMCTuner.

$399 for the Ceton is not cheap but it may be worth it.....

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
That's if you can even get one in a resonable amount of time. Arent there huge backorders on this and very little supply coming from asia? I would buy one right now if I could, tired of only having 2 tuners on my Tivo, need more tuners and dont want to expense of another tivo/fees.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
In an earlier post someone asked about the minimum requirements for running MC and this was the answer. Any more insight? I have a copy of Windows7 laying around and some old hardware that is just begging to become a network encoder running SageMCTuner.

I can't say exactly, but the hit will be mostly IO. We ran a dual tuner test on an ION machine and while CPU was a bit high, it all worked fine.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I can't say exactly, but the hit will be mostly IO. We ran a dual tuner test on an ION machine and while CPU was a bit high, it all worked fine.
What do you think about an 800MHz Via C3? I would like to think that will work but my gut tells me it's just too slow if an ION with 2 recordings in progress has high CPU usage.

My other choice is a 1.3 GHz Celeron, that might be a better bet.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Sage Icon

I doubt that the C3 would be able to handl 4 streams, but it might. I didn't examine the root cause for the CPU usage on the ION much, just noted it and moved on
Old 10-15-2010, 01:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Am I correct in assuming that I do not need to install Sage on the machine that is running WMC? I just install Windows7, WMC and your nifty piece of software on one machine, connect it to the network and then my Sage server will be able to "see" another tuner that will appear as a network tuner?

Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Sage Icon

Yep. If it's the only tuner in the box you don't even need separate HW.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks. My "production" server is XP based and has several tuners in it so one box won't fly.

It sounds easy enough to get going, I think it will be a lot harder to get my hands on a Ceton card.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Sage User

Ceton Status

http://www.cannonpc.com/cetonstatus.html

According to this page, ceton claims that all backorders should be caught up by Thanksgiving.

So if this is an officially working solution, I will be ordering shortly.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:13 PM
SageTVaholic

I certainly wouldn't call it 'official' anything. It is entirely dependent on how your provider is flagging your media. You could be very lucky, and just about everything gets flagged copy freely.. if not, though, this may be very troublesome for you.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Anyone using this yet with sage successfully? I just got notification of my back order shipping. While i am excited i am nervous I just wAsted $400.

I want to use thew card to record premium channels and watch them with sage. Anyone care to share their working implementation.

Thanks

Neil