SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Not to throw salt on the wounds, but my HD-PVR hasn't locked up in... well in at least four months. And when it did I think it was related to the cable box itself. So there have to be some good ones out there - like the one I have I guess.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, mines been fine for a few weeks too. Not sure if it's the electrical tape I put over the IR window (finally got out of denial and tried it), or the fact that I got an R5000 and it decided it better shape up
Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
SageTVaholic

It's probably the rabbits foot I have sitting next to mine
Old 01-13-2010, 04:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Not to throw salt on the wounds, but my HD-PVR hasn't locked up in... well in at least four months. And when it did I think it was related to the cable box itself. So there have to be some good ones out there - like the one I have I guess.
Well I just have one thing to say about that:

In my case, it really seems to be that the HD-PVR doesn't like something in the video or audio signal that it's getting. So, as you said, I think it's either related to the cable box itself, or (I think more probably) something the cable company or network is sending out. My lockups are actually somewhat reproducible, or at least predictable, in that the only time they occur is after a movie ends on STARZ, but before it's time slot is up. And, perhaps even more interesting, they only seem to happen on the SD channels, not the HD one.

It seems like a lot of the problems people are having are related to HD-PVR sensitivity issues. It really shouldn't go into an unrecoverable state when there's a problem in the video/audio stream, when video drops down to SD resolution (or goes back up to HD), or when audio switches to or from Dolby 5.1. Based on the number of people that have had to lock resolutions, or use stereo audio, it seems like the Hauppauge HD-PVR has some room to improve. The sensitivity problems are arguably problems with set-top boxes and cable/satellite systems, but these quirks are probably to be expected, and IMHO Hauppauge should do a better job of handling them.

I really wouldn't care if every once in a while my HD-PVR locks up and I lose 10-30 seconds of a recording. But, I hate that when it locks up I lose all HD-PVR recordings until I notice the big red exclamation mark and can get home to power cycle the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
It's probably the rabbits foot I have sitting next to mine
Maybe I'll try that next!
Old 01-13-2010, 04:58 PM
Sage Icon

Per a news release I read about the Avermedia USB HD DVR (emphasis added)....

Quote:
AVERTV USB HD DVR

AVERMEDIA® UNVEILS THE LATEST IN MULTIMEDIA TECHNOLOGY WITH THE AVERTV USB HD DVR

Capture, Record and Enjoy High Definition Content Directly on Your PC

LAS VEGAS, NV – January 7, 2009 – 2010 CES (Hilton Hospitality Suite #1950) - AVerMedia® Information, Inc. USA, a leading provider of Digital Multimedia Technology, today unveiled the latest addition to its line of PC digital entertainment devices for the PC, the AVerTV USB HD DVR. It is a self-powered USB High Definition video capture device that allows users to connect to a Cable/Satellite Set-Top-Box or HD gaming console and capture High Definition video content to their PC.

The AVerTV USB HD DVR contains an added bonus by allowing users to play back recorded content saved on their PC or laptop directly to a TV at HD 1080i resolution with HDMI connection. So, whether you’re on the go or at home you’ll never have to miss your favorite TV program. In addition to its recording features, the AVerTV USB HD DVR can also be used to convert content from old VCR video tapes into Digital format from S-Video/Composite. With advanced hardware transcoding technology, the AVerTV USB HD DVR saves CPU processing time and hard drive space by transcoding large MPRG-2 video files into H.264 format, which will maintain video quality at a smaller size.

“We continue to see an increase in the use of laptops, netbooks and desktops as all-around entertainment devices,” said Dix, vice president of sales, Multimedia Division at AVerMedia Information, Inc. USA. “AVerMedia is embracing this trend by delivering solutions that enhance the uses for and enjoyment of personal computers.”

The AVerTV USB HD DVR includes the Arcsoft® TotalMedia Theatre software program, which offers a built-in recording feature so you can schedule the start and end time of a TV show from an HD Cable/Satellite Set-Top-Box. It can handle High Definition Input up to 1080i and Standard Definition Input up to 480p and is Windows 7 compatible.

Pricing and Availability:

The AVerTV USB HD DVR will be available in March for $199.99 MSRP. For more information about this product or any of AVerMedia’s other Digital Multimedia products, please visit us at: [url]http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
SageTVaholic

I wonder if it allows overlaying on top of the Decoded audio. Sage does have the capability for UI plugins for devices such as this.. though of course, someone would have to write it (if sage didn't).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
You might be right about this. I complained about the HD-PVR's initial lack of support for 5.1 sound, and I avoided buying it until I was more comfortable with it's support for capturing 5.1 sound. But, after losing some recordings due to HD-PVR lockups, I've at least temporarily given up on 5.1 sound (OT, but I think it was actually non-Dolby sound over optical that was actually giving me problems).

After several days of using stereo sound, I don't miss it incredibly.
Yea, I actually refused to give up on the 5.1 sound so I'm still recording with it, but I watch in stereo much of the time because it's all on one remote (time for a universal I guess). Can't say I miss the 5.1.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 PM
SageTVaholic

If anyone has specific questions about the new AverMedia USB device either post them here, DM me or e-mail me with those questions by Monday. I have an interview set up with an AverMedia rep and hope to get more details on it
Old 01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Here are some suggested questions. Someone might already have the answer to some of these, particularly the IR blaster ones. And, maybe you can think of a more diplomatic/appropriate way of wording the question on HD-PVR lock-ups.
  1. What software will support Avermedia's USB HD-DVR when it's released?
  2. What kind of video inputs will the device have?
  3. Will it support capturing digital audio? Via optical? Via HDMI?
  4. Will it be possible to use multiple USB HD-DVRs on one system?
  5. Presumably the USB device will include an IR blaster. Will you be able to use multiple IR blasters on a system?
  6. Hauppauge's HD-PVR has received complaints about lock-ups. Some have suggested that these are caused by errors in the video/audio stream. How will you avoid similar problems when handling these errors?
  7. Is it possible for the driver software to power-cycle or reboot the USB HD-DVR should it ever lock-up? (I know that's a weird question, but I'm thinking that would make a nice recovery mechanism).
Old 01-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Sage Expert

Since the deviceis USB powered, how much draw can we expect from a laptop? But more importantly, how extensive has the testing been? Since we know that not all USB hosts are created equal, is this device able to get enough juice from any weaksauce USB port?
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
Since the deviceis USB powered, how much draw can we expect from a laptop? But more importantly, how extensive has the testing been? Since we know that not all USB hosts are created equal, is this device able to get enough juice from any weaksauce USB port?
Actually, I think there's been some confusion on these threads about how this device is powered. The press release says that this is a self-powered device. That means that it uses its own power supply. If it took power directly from the USB port, it would be called a bus-powered device.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Sage Icon

engadget had an article on this a few days ago with pics. You can see the back with power cable from a brick. Looks pretty much like the HD PVR connection wise but with what looks like an HIDM port to me.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/01/07/av...-to-its-lineup
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsack View Post
Actually, I think there's been some confusion on these threads about how this device is powered. The press release says that this is a self-powered device. That means that it uses its own power supply. If it took power directly from the USB port, it would be called a bus-powered device.
Okay thanks for the clarification. Self-powered, the way you describe it makes a lot of sense, but the way I read it seemed to imply it powers itself without anything. And the only place I know power to come from would be from the USB port.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
And the only place I know power to come from would be from the USB port.
Or that micro-nuclear reactor inside - you know about those don't you Clift
Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
engadget had an article on this a few days ago with pics. You can see the back with power cable from a brick. Looks pretty much like the HD PVR connection wise but with what looks like an HIDM port to me.

http://hd.engadget.com/2010/01/07/av...-to-its-lineup
Ok so it has
Component video input and loop through output
Left/Right RCA audio input and loop through output
IR blaster
HDMI output
USB port
Power in
Front panel
Composite inputs
S/Video inputs
Left/Right RCA audio input

As far I can tell there no Optical audio Input and loop through output which means no 5.1
From look of things the Hauppauge HD PVR wins hands down

Quote:
HIDM port to me
That HDMI and that a output

Last edited by SHS; 01-14-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
That HDMI and that a output
I am still confused by this because the only reference to HDMI is:

Quote:
allowing users to play back recorded content saved on their PC or laptop directly to a TV at HD 1080i resolution with HDMI connection
There's no mention of recording from an HDMI input. Time will tell.....
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Not much confusion i don't think. It seems to have not just an encoder in there, but also a decoder that can output the recorded video out to a TV via HDMI. They question would be, then, how it's exposed to software, and of course... why you would choose to do that.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
It seems to have not just an encoder in there, but also a decoder that can output the recorded video out to a TV via HDMI. They question would be, then, how it's exposed to software, and of course... why you would choose to do that.
That's why I am confused. Why WOULD you choose to do that?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That's why I am confused. Why WOULD you choose to do that?
Maybe that would be useful if our computer graphic card doen'st have HDMI out?
Eric
Old 01-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3a View Post
Maybe that would be useful if our computer graphic card doen'st have HDMI out?
That would only seen helpfull if you could stream recordings back through the Aver device and then to your TV (which may be the case). I don't think I would want to be doing that at the same time I'm recording an HD stream from the Aver box.