SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cable cards update

Yes, I see there are other threads many pages long... those threads have conflicting information in them and old info, hence this thread.

So I see at least three cable cards coming out:

1. Ceton corp internal 4 tuner $399

2 Silicon Dust 2 turner networked $250

3. Hauppauge tbd.

I am assuming siliconedust networked will work fine with sage, but can anyone confirm this? Any news with the other two working with sage?

Ceton is supposed to be released at the end of March, any news on the other two?

I have a HDhomerun and love it, but I can not find out a release date and its cost per tuner seems high compated to the Ceton.

Any updates?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
SageTVaholic

All info that is available is in the other threads. To answer your question though.. there's no info available. Those cable card tuners are indeed going to hit the streets. However, as sage doesn't have a DRM system, they will NOT work with sage (directly). the SageMCETuner plugin might allow use of them via 7MC, but again, only time will tell.

SiliconDust does seem to work directly with SageTV, LLC at times, and there is hopes something better will work itself out in the end, but right now that is just the hopes of the community. Neither SiliconDust nor SageTV have mentioned anything about it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
SiliconDust does seem to work directly with SageTV, LLC at times, and there is hopes something better will work itself out in the end, but right now that is just the hopes of the community. Neither SiliconDust nor SageTV have mentioned anything about it.
Well, it's actually ever so slightly better than that. We know SiliconDust has been talking to CableLabs about supporting copy-freely content in "uncertified" applications (e.g., SageTV, MythTV, etc., presumably). But we don't know how successful they've been at convincing CableLabs that that would be OK.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Sage User

I am among those that is hoping that the silence means that they are working with Silicon Dust on a Cable Card Tuner. I do have to say that I am lucky enough to have most channels unprotected, however, I do have to say I do fear that they could flip the switch at any time.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Sage Icon

Good luck for those that this might help but I pay for cable so I can get channels like HBO and Showtime that would be locked out for sure. There's no use in even having cable if I can't get what I'm paying for into Sage.

S
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Sage Icon

It's pretty safe to say that as things stand right now, these new cablecard tuners will not work natively in SageTV and SageTV will not be supporting them.

This is entirely due to the CableLabs restrictions. If they change their policies (which I think is a long shot at best), then perhaps work can be done to make the tuners compatible with SageTV.

Outside of this occuring, it will be up to the users to come up with creative solutions to the problem.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
it will be up to the users to come up with creative solutions to the problem.
Have no fear. This has always happened before.

I also think Sage is fully aware that if they don't find a solution, they'll be out of business. Once my cable company drops analog cable, I'll drop Sage without encrypted HD support. I simply won't have anything I can record, and four Hauppauge HDPVR boxes is not the answer.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
Good luck for those that this might help but I pay for cable so I can get channels like HBO and Showtime that would be locked out for sure. There's no use in even having cable if I can't get what I'm paying for into Sage.
But do you really need to be able to record off of three HBO/ Showtime channels at once, or is one enough? Limited copy-freely-only cable card support in Sage wouldn't necessarily replace the HD-PVR completely, but would augment them quite nicely. I'd rather have one HDHRCC and one STB/HD-PVR than three STBs and HD-PVRs.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
But do you really need to be able to record off of three HBO/ Showtime channels at once, or is one enough? Limited copy-freely-only cable card support in Sage wouldn't necessarily replace the HD-PVR completely, but would augment them quite nicely. I'd rather have one HDHRCC and one STB/HD-PVR than three STBs and HD-PVRs.
Maybe if enough of my favorite cable channels/shows were copy freely. It might be tough for me though since most of what I watch is from pay tiers and not basic and therefore more likely to be flagged. (Cox locks everything but locals on Firewire's 5C here) But even dropping 2 of my 3 STB's + HDPVR combos @ $8.50 ea for a cable card at, say, $2/mo would save me only $15 from a $200/mo Cox bill. Besides my HD-PVRs are already paid for. If I was still looking at a big bill to purchase them it then cablecard would be more compelling.

S
Old 03-05-2010, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
Maybe if enough of my favorite cable channels/shows were copy freely. It might be tough for me though since most of what I watch is from pay tiers and not basic and therefore more likely to be flagged. (Cox locks everything but locals on Firewire's 5C here)
Fair enough. It sounds like limited copy-freely only support would be pretty useless to you, as you'd get basically the same thing you could get over QAM. I'm in a situation where all my non-premium channels are copy-freely, and I've been using firewire recording. Firewire recording is nice, but its pretty buggy, and development on the FireSTB drivers and Sgraphrecorder have essentially stopped. So, I'd really like to drop firewire recording for an HDHRCC.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Even though I have R5000's running right now, I can see the appeal of running perhaps a 2 tuner cablecard and a single HD-PVR. This would probably meet everyone's needs quite well. Most cable operators have everything but the Premium movie channel as copy freely, and the stuff on those channels are re-aired so often, you really don't need more than one HD-PVR to get them. Obviously, it would be better if sage fully supported cablecards, so copy once could be used as well, but we don't know right now if that will happen.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
four Hauppauge HDPVR boxes is not the answer.
I've said previously that the HD PVR needs to get an internal PCI / PCI-E hardware solution, and it is not outlandish to think Hauppauge would do it.

However, you make a good point about numbers. When we start talking about 3 or more tuners, the complexity grows enormously.

Perhaps Hauppauge and / or SageTV need to make an officially implemented and supported firewire solution?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 03-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Even though I have R5000's running right now, I can see the appeal of running perhaps a 2 tuner cablecard and a single HD-PVR. This would probably meet everyone's needs quite well. Most cable operators have everything but the Premium movie channel as copy freely, and the stuff on those channels are re-aired so often, you really don't need more than one HD-PVR to get them. Obviously, it would be better if sage fully supported cablecards, so copy once could be used as well, but we don't know right now if that will happen.
I am not sure if most are copy freely. My provider Time Warner locks everything down that it isn't required to by law (the OTAs).

But then again, TW is evil.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by broconne View Post
I am not sure if most are copy freely. My provider Time Warner locks everything down that it isn't required to by law (the OTAs).
How have you verified that? It is not the same as checking what is available in ClearQAM. The CableCard CCI flags are completely different that that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broconne View Post

But then again, TW is evil.
The stop giving them your money...

Old 03-06-2010, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

There have been lots of reports on the Internet suggesting Time Warner and Bright House have been marking almost everything copy-once. Comcast and FiOS seem to mark almost everything copy-freely. I'm not sure what Mediacom and Cox tend to do.