SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Cool Fanart: Complete Fanart Collection... 4000 Movies and TV shows

World's largest known SageTV Fanart collection with nearly 4000 Movies and TV shows (1.3GBs).

Since fanart doesn't take up significant hard disk space; even with thousands of them... why not just have all of them locally on your own setup? Imagine scrolling through your SageTV Guide as fanart pops up instantly for every single movie and TV show.. no more waiting for the fanart to download or manually have to run a command line each time you want your collection updated. I wrote a script to pull download pretty much all TV and Movie Fanart up until now. Updates may follow.

I added this to the Downloads area for easier reference. For those of you crazy enough to download this massive zip file, enjoy. And, for those not interested... move along.

Download Here

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Would this way of getting fanart replace the option in my videos section for "get fanart/metadata"?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:37 PM
SageTVaholic

That option would only download fanart for one movie or TV show.. not 4000. You would only use that option if it's not in the fanart collection; there's a good chance it could be already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdiablo View Post
Would this way of getting fanart replace the option in my videos section for "get fanart/metadata"?

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-20-2010, 08:41 PM
SageTVaholic

BTW, there are more people that downloaded this gigantic collection than I thought! Glad I could help.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-20-2010, 09:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperdiablo View Post
Just to clarify no this is not getting any metatadata for you and most addins you see or just the basic info screen on moves with be useless without metadata. With BMT also you can have automatic fetching of both. There will be not info on your movies just pictures of fanart.

This just to save confusion as by this statement I can tell there will be. There is no "master" collection of metadata ad it is not possible since everyone stores their media seperate
Old 03-21-2010, 01:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Yes, thats correct... this is a "Fanart" collection, not metadata collection. I dont think there's any confusion about metadata since there's no mention of it. This is mentioned in the first post and download area.. the purpose of this download is so when a user highlights a movie on the Guide or somewhere else that displays fanart, instead of waiting for the movie to finish recording or manually running a command line or via the STV, the fanart would already be displayed instantly. Metadata doesnt take near as long to download.. its just text; and, can be downloaded/updated later relatively quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
Just to clarify no this is not getting any metatadata for you and most addins you see or just the basic info screen on moves with be useless without metadata. With BMT also you can have automatic fetching of both. There will be not info on your movies just pictures of fanart.

This just to save confusion as by this statement I can tell there will be. There is no "master" collection of metadata ad it is not possible since everyone stores their media seperate

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok, probably a stupid question, but where do I put the unarchived filed on the sagetv server?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

wondering same thing...

...configuring Sage for the first time, and fuddling thru getting SageMC installed, and found this too.

All this talk of BMT, Phoenix APIs, etc is blowing my mind...Geektonic's guide is helping so far...a little.

Can't find a good list of themes aside from the download page, unless I want to read through a multi-year screenshot thread that includes many no longer hosted images. (Sigh).

And I'm probably jumping in just in time for Sage 7 to invalidate it all when I get finished, right?
Old 03-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrski View Post
...configuring Sage for the first time, and fuddling thru getting SageMC installed, and found this too.

All this talk of BMT, Phoenix APIs, etc is blowing my mind...Geektonic's guide is helping so far...a little.

Can't find a good list of themes aside from the download page, unless I want to read through a multi-year screenshot thread that includes many no longer hosted images. (Sigh).

And I'm probably jumping in just in time for Sage 7 to invalidate it all when I get finished, right?
Your best bet is probably to concentrate on getting BMT (BMI) and SageMC working first as that'll do everything you really need. Once you have these running then start changing the themes around and/or adding different STVi's.

Although it was very good of mkanet to add this pack its pretty redundant now with the scrapers doing all what you want.......just my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenlr View Post
Ok, probably a stupid question, but where do I put the unarchived filed on the sagetv server?
They would need to go in your fanart folder which you specified when you set it all up (SageMC Settings or the Default UI depending on what your using).

Cheers

Ben
Old 03-21-2010, 12:59 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks Ben for answering.. to further elaborate.. the purpose of this fanart pack (setting asside metadata) is to be able to scroll through any new movie or show and see fanart popup immediately (as long as its in the extensive movie/tv folders in this pack) such as in the guide, or upcoming recordings, movies that are/will be available to watch... instead of not seeing the fanart at all unless you actually record the show and wait for it to finish (automatic plugin for BMT) or manually having to rightclick the show you want to see fanart for and download the fanart. It's pretty breathtaking to me to see new fanart anything you move your mouse/remote control/keyboard over; hence, I wanted others to have the joy of doing this too if they choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminben View Post
Your best bet is probably to concentrate on getting BMT (BMI) and SageMC working first as that'll do everything you really need. Once you have these running then start changing the themes around and/or adding different STVi's.

Although it was very good of mkanet to add this pack its pretty redundant now with the scrapers doing all what you want.......just my thoughts.

They would need to go in your fanart folder which you specified when you set it all up (SageMC Settings or the Default UI depending on what your using).

Cheers

Ben

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks to both of you for answering. But to those who haven't been around, even the answers are confusing.

"concentrate on getting SageMC and BMI (BMT) working..."

Ok, SageMC not so bad. One download, instructions are clear to kill service and Sage UI, install, then pick it from available STVs. So far, so good.

But BMI installation indicates it's for the default STV, so does that mean it is or isn't needed if I already installed SageMC? Then to install, the page says first have to have BMT installed. THAT has several installs and a 'fix' noted as necessary for restarts...oh, and it needs Jetty, too, I assume if I'm reading correctly.

Seriously guys, this isn't exactly friendly for new people. I'll keep trying to work thru it, but when every install page references another install page and you have to change STV to test an install, then change back to install the next, it gets tedious fast. Still, didn't bother with a trial, just bought, and got an HD200 on the way in the mail, so guess I'm committed (or should be :P )

Yes, I know I'm not adding to this thread. I'm getting there, just needed a moment to vent. Those that can, program. Those that can't, write instructions. And those that do neither, whinge.

Last edited by rtrski; 03-21-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Acknowledgement of whingeyness
Old 03-21-2010, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrski View Post
Thanks to both of you for answering. But to those who haven't been around, even the answers are confusing.

"concentrate on getting SageMC and BMI (BMT) working..."

Ok, SageMC not so bad. One download, instructions are clear to kill service and Sage UI, install, then pick it from available STVs. So far, so good.

But BMI installation indicates it's for the default STV, so does that mean it is or isn't needed if I already installed SageMC? Then to install, the page says first have to have BMT installed. THAT has several installs and a 'fix' noted as necessary for restarts...oh, and it needs Jetty, too, I assume if I'm reading correctly.

Seriously guys, this isn't exactly friendly for new people. I'll keep trying to work thru it, but when every install page references another install page and you have to change STV to test an install, then change back to install the next, it gets tedious fast. Still, didn't bother with a trial, just bought, and got an HD200 on the way in the mail, so guess I'm committed (or should be :P )
It can be a little overwhelming at first two new users. Remember all the addins are user created for free and while we might have a knack for coding documentation is not or forta or favorite thing. This pack is not the best place to start if you hve question post them in the appropriate bmt/sagemc threads as the will mostly be overlooked here.

This pack will only help you with fanart but not the required Phoenix API or sagemc or sagtv default addins needed to view it. As Ben stated get that setup first. I think after you get that setup and automated you will no longer need this pack unless you just want allot of fanart for tv shows you don't watch.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Im not using SageMC, I am using something from Tiki, and it uses:
C:\fanart\banners
C:\fanart\music ...etc

Problem is, the file I downloaded has a folder for each tv show, with a banner subdirectory, then the banner directory. Do I need to move every one of the 4000 banner jpgs, rename then to the name of the tv show, and move them, or do I just need to uninstall this stvi I just installed, and start over?

I didnt install SageMC, because I dont need all that fancy stuff, I just want banners to pop up when I highlight the show in the program guide, and want something to pop up instead of a blank box when I am highlighting a music album.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Tiki uses a different directory structure than BMT (which uses Phoenix engine). There are different fanart packages you can download.. mine is meant to supplement BMT. It's a bit hard to comprehend the value of these fanart packages until you actually have them in place. Some people are happy with not being able to see the fanart until after they finish recording a show or movie (via BMT's automatic plugin) or running a command line or manually download it for each show/movie... and some people prefer for the fanart to just automatically popup as they're scrolling through various movies/TV shows they are considering on watching; hence why there are multiple fanart packages available to download.

The fanart package that's meant to suppliment Tiki is located under the downloads section:

Massive Fanart Pack - UPDATED : UPDATED: This fanart pack contains fanart and cover art for 1450 movies. Most of the images are Hi-res, but not all of them. -Tony If the link ever goes dead, send me a PM, and I will reuploa ... [more] (647.47 MB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenlr View Post
Im not using SageMC, I am using something from Tiki, and it uses:
C:\fanart\banners
C:\fanart\music ...etc

Problem is, the file I downloaded has a folder for each tv show, with a banner subdirectory, then the banner directory. Do I need to move every one of the 4000 banner jpgs, rename then to the name of the tv show, and move them, or do I just need to uninstall this stvi I just installed, and start over?

I didnt install SageMC, because I dont need all that fancy stuff, I just want banners to pop up when I highlight the show in the program guide, and want something to pop up instead of a blank box when I am highlighting a music album.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-21-2010, 03:34 PM
SageTVaholic

@rtrski

Here is some friendly advice that we try to give all new users.

It is highly recommended that you start out using the default SageTV interface first with no 3rd party add-ons so that you can familiarize yourself with SageTV in general and to make sure your configuration is stable. Read the manual and get used to the software for a couple of months. Once you are satisfied that everything is working the way you want then you can go ahead and break your system.

Seriously though, if you try to jump right into 3rd party add-ons then you are probably just going to frustrate yourself with the learning curves for each one. Take it one step at a time and make sure everything works with each change. That way if something goes wrong you have a known good setup to return to and you should have a pretty good idea of where any new problems are introduced.

Best of luck.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Good advice. Ive been running Sage for a couple years, just never tried to learn any of this third party stuff until I started noticing none of my ripped CDs had art, but the downloaded from Amazon ones did, and I wanted art for all of them. Ill try to figure it out. Apparently I am using an old plugin, and you all are using some new ones. I dont really want to screw up my system (read the instructions for that phoenix one, and it had to many warnings to install this first or bad things would happen) to mess up my system.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks...

Thanks, MeInMaui.

I actually did dabble in HTPCs years ago: Had a Meedio machine all built in about 2005, but when it died in 2007 (after Meedio had essentially morphed as well) I just let it all go. So I'm not 100% new to the concepts...mostly new to Sage (and freely admit I'm more of a scripter than programmer - had managed to get all my Girder routines running back in the day, and created my own UI for a Universal Remotes MX3000 touchscreen unit that has also since passed on...but as with most dabblers, nothing was ever 100% finished, there was always something else I wanted to do.

I'm thinking this approach - Sage configured on an upstairs computer, with the HD200 as the extender downstairs - should be much more satisfying in the end, as I only have to get "one" thing working (programming a new Harmony UR should be a cakewalk, esp. since they've already got the HD200 in their database). Besides, back then I was trying to get DirecTV serial working, etc. and nowadays I'm satisfied with broadcast HD and using Netflix rentals to catch up on the episodic stuff I miss out on (e.g. BSG, etc.)

And now that I've completely hijacked this thread (sorry, mkanet!!), look for me to start asking questions elsewhere. At this point I think I've got a minimally acceptable starting point with Sage, SageMC, Jetty, BMI/BMT/BLT/whatever (grin) working, but will hold off on DVRMSToolbox for the moment until I'm sure (guess I won't know 100% until I have some new Sage recordings in the mix vs. my Vista MC and DVD rips)
Old 03-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I wrote a script to pull download pretty much all TV and Movie Fanart up until now. Updates may follow.

Thanks much! I downloaded the collections. Do you have a copy of the script that you would like to share???
Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 PM
SageTVaholic

I'll send you a PM. The reason I didnt release the script as well is because its kind of clunky; and, not completely automatic. Youre welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetreL View Post
Thanks much! I downloaded the collections. Do you have a copy of the script that you would like to share???

***RIP SageTV***
Old 03-21-2010, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

A big thanks from me as well. I like having the fanart WITHOUT messing with metadata.

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.