SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Sage User

Windows 7 shared by all user accounts

How do I set SageTV up on Windows 7 such that the program settings are shared by all user accounts? I currently have the server running as user LocalSystem.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Sage Icon

If you install Sage to the default location (C:\Program Files(x86)\...) and you have UAC enabled in Windows 7 / Vista, all of the settings files (sage.properties, wiz.bin, etc) will get stored in the Windows Virtual Store. The virtual store is unique for each user account (like the desktop and My Documents folders). Therefore, if you log into Windows under a different User account, you will have different settings...

If you disable UAC, or install Sage to someplace outside of the normal "Program Folders" location (such as C:\Sage), the settings will be stored inside the Sage installation folder. Then, the same settings should be used regardless of which Windows User account you log in with.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 05-19-2010, 06:06 AM
Sage User

How do I uninstall SageTV so I can reinstall it to a new location?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> select Sage - uninstall. During re-install just specify C:\SageTV or something like that to eliminate any UAC/user issues.

If you have it setup the way you want, just copy the entire install directory before removing to another folder, after reinstall, delete what is in new directory and copy the backed up version into new directory.

Grant

Last edited by Opus4; 05-19-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfMany View Post
If you have it setup the way you want, just copy the entire install directory before removing to another folder, after reinstall, delete what is in new directory and copy the backed up version into new directory.
Do not do this.

Installing to a new location & then overwriting those files with the existing properties files (and perhaps some others) could easily create problems.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Why is that?

I use my laptop to setup and configure my Sage. Installing SageMC, BMT, TVExplorer, SMW as well as other STVis.

Just yesterday, I setup another client. Fresh install of SageTV to initiate the registry settings. Then open, run the quick setup for weather location, then make sure TV works. Then I simply copied my fully installed setup from my Client laptop to the new client. Works perfectly! I do this with 4 clients now, and anytime I want to experiment, I use my laptop. If change is good, copy is made to all my clients, and everyone is happy.

Grant
Old 05-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfMany View Post
Why is that?
If you install to a different directory and just move the configuration files you will have problems. This is because there are entries in the properties files that point to specific paths that will no longer be correct.

If you are moving from one computer to another and installing in the same location, your approach will probably work (assuming both computers are using the same operating system).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just a follow up.

I currently run two WHS servers, one for storage of all media files, and where I eventually copy recorded TV that I want to keep, and the second as a dedicated tuner box with only SageWHS on it. My Sage service, wiz.bin, BMT, Placeshifter properties etc. and recordings are done on this machine.

I currently have four clients running SageClient. Two are XP Pro systems, two are Win7 systems. Each WHS server has identical accounts setup with identical passwords.

Logging into any client immediately provides access to both server shares. Of course, all fanart, and media directories are UNC paths that point to the appropriate server/directory.

My laptop is my test bed as I don't want to test features on a WAF, CAF (child) client.

I currently use SageMC, Serenity 1 (which has been highly customized), TV Explorer, SMW, and custom menus to launch external programs. I use all fanart options.

My clients include: dual-core Intel nVidia Cuda mobo, Intel Atom ION, ASUS Intel chip GeForce video, and an old Toshiba Celeron ATI graphics.

1) OS/driver install, WHS connector install, JAVA, DVD, MCE remote, verifying that all network access is correct.

2) Install SageClient - on first run, ensure LiveTV functions. Ensure media directories are accessible.

3) Copy new Sage install directory to a folder somewhere (in case I need it - which I never have)

4) Copy the desired SageClient directory into the new (empty) install directory.

5) Reboot, login, and run Sage with my customized interface. Setup autoload.

Anytime I want to change/modify/test a new feature, I beta it on my laptop. Once I am happy with the changes, I simply copy the directory to one of my WHS shares. On each client, I then erase the SageTV directory, and copy the updated directory to the client.

This method allows me to beta all changes without affecting daily use clients. It also eliminates the need for me to manually import/change/update each client. And of course, I never have to shudown the Sage service on the WHS to implement.

Will it work for everyone? Maybe not. However, for those that run multiple PC clients vs. extenders, IF it works for them, it makes maintenance and conformity of the clients a simple task.

Be aware, I do not use this method to update the SageWHS directory, so my Placeshifter (and I would presume extenders if I had some) has to be dealt with by importing and tweaking separetly.

Grant