SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

View Poll Results: I would be interested in a.....
Placeshifter v7 for OSX 67 37.22%
Client v7 for OSX 56 31.11%
Placeshifter v7 for Iphone/Ipod 83 46.11%
Placeshifter v7 for Ipad 78 43.33%
None of the Above 39 21.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
We do not currently have Mac versions of V7 available; and do not have target dates for them yet. The V6 placeshifter for the Mac will function when connected to a V7 server.
That is from the official beta 7 notification thread.

I was disappointed at the lack of a time frame, but the above lines do certainly confirm that Mac version are coming. . . Someday. . .
Old 06-23-2010, 10:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
To you others about the mac licenses you are blaming apple for the software manufacturers problems. They are the ones that should allow it. Have you looked at the price of quickbooks for the PC vs Mac? Its a huge difference for no good reason except that it is less of a user base and requires equal if not more development.
Wouldn't that actually make sense, that the Mac software would cost a lot more than the Windows version. I mean, if it takes the same amount of effort to create both products, but the Mac sales potential is only 4% of the desktop market, wouldn't you expect the Mac software to cost a lot more, since they have to sell a lot of it to cover the equal development costs.

That being said, I'm a Ubuntu Linux user, with less than 1% of the desktop market share, so I'm no way encouraging Sage to price tier their products and I'm just glad that they do have the Linux versions out at the same time as the Windows versions, especially given how few of us there are

I can see, from a business point of view, why Sage would release the Windows version first, since probably 90+% of their users are probably Windows users. Even though Mac has 4 times the desktop share than Linux, I doubt it's true within the Sage community. I would figure that Mac and Linux users are probably pretty close to the same (I'm guessing).
Old 06-24-2010, 12:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
We do not currently have Mac versions of V7 available; and do not have target dates for them yet. The V6 placeshifter for the Mac will function when connected to a V7 server.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulprops77 View Post
That is from the official beta 7 notification thread.

I was disappointed at the lack of a time frame, but the above lines do certainly confirm that Mac version are coming. . . Someday. . .
Now I am feeling even more unsettled as that simply confirms the present status i.e. no Mac version available. It certainly doesn't confirm that Mac versions are coming at all. At the very least it should be straightforward to produce V7 Client & Placeshifter versions for Mac.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCE-Refugee View Post
Now I am feeling even more unsettled as that simply confirms the present status i.e. no Mac version available. It certainly doesn't confirm that Mac versions are coming at all. At the very least it should be straightforward to produce V7 Client & Placeshifter versions for Mac.
I would think the mere mention of target dates would indicate the intention of a Mac version of SageTV 7.

And why at the very least should it just be straightforward to create a version 7 Mac SageTV? Are you also involved in the coding of this? And maybe is it straight forward but their resources are limited. Who knows. The Mac stuff has always trailed the development of the Windows/Linux stuff and will probably continue to do so. So it's business as usual.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

I can't get my version 6 client to connect to my 7 server? It says they need to be running the same versions. Anyone see the same problem or have 6 client on osxconnecting successfully to 7 server?

Thanks,

Neil
Old 06-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Sage Expert

Right now, you can only connect to a v7 server with the mac placeshifter. They haven't released the mac client yet.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Sage User

ZZZzzzz...

One foot out the door...
Old 07-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

I am really wishing for the beta too. I need to run a client on my machine for testing. It just isn't convenient without it!
Old 07-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I am really wishing for the beta too. I need to run a client on my machine for testing. It just isn't convenient without it!
I too cannot upgrade my Windows SageTV Server to V7 as I am using Mac clients along with HD200. To use the V6 Placeshifter with a V7 server I would have to purchase several Placeshifter licenses (maybe that is the Sage plan to maximise revenue:-)
Old 07-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Sage User

Any word on when the client beta will be available for the MAC?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrajones View Post
Any word on when the client beta will be available for the MAC?

none yet, the original announcement gave no time line. ...the only good part is that my sage server has been rock steady for quite a long time now, i really am itching to "break" it, but alas, i no longer have a discrete windows computer in the house.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
12.5 TB for Recordings/Imports/TimeMachine/Music
HD200 via 802.11n in Living Room
802.11n client in bedroom
Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Sage Icon

Mac support for v7?

ETA?

The current placeshifter does barely work - well, and the client has been a mess for a while anyway.

* merged *
Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
ETA?

The current placeshifter does barely work - well, and the client has been a mess for a while anyway.

* merged *
no word. i waver between highly agitated and somewhat unconcerned. my sage setup has never been more stable to the point i don't even think about it, but i am itching to "break" it with a new round of betas...
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Sage User

I find myself wavering between highly agitated, and wondering if I'm being unreasonable with my expectation.

I only know it's being handled differently than I would, if I were the one trying to retain customers grow my business.

My V6 system is stable, but it certainly has it's irritations that I keep hoping will be better in V7. Being so late to the game, if Mac users do get V7, we'll be months behind he curve on ironing out problems.

Being the curious creature I am, I installed EyeTV to see what that is all about these days. It's performance with the HD-PVR is better, and it's using far less processor time than Sage. It's very solid and polished. That being said, I'm not enjoying the OSG or channel navigation, and it's lack of a true client means it's still not yet a whole-house solution. I know, you can stream via VLC. I tried that. It's a hack at best, not a solid everyday use solution for streaming live TV to a client. I know, they have an app to stream to iPad/iPhone. I want to stream to other TVs.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

You won't see an ETA. Sage has never really done ETAs. One day, it'll just be there. At most there'll be like a leak to GeekTonic 12 hours early, but until then.....
Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
...Being the curious creature I am, I installed EyeTV to see what that is all about these days. It's performance with the HD-PVR is better, and it's using far less processor time than Sage. It's very solid and polished. That being said, I'm not enjoying the OSG or channel navigation, and it's lack of a true client means it's still not yet a whole-house solution. I know, you can stream via VLC. I tried that. It's a hack at best, not a solid everyday use solution for streaming live TV to a client. I know, they have an app to stream to iPad/iPhone. I want to stream to other TVs.

i hear ya. EyeTV is *the* Macintosh solution. But for the past year i have grown to love the HD200, so much so that it is hard to consider moving to EyeTV.
2x HDHR, all OTA
QNAP TS-809:
Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naylia View Post
You won't see an ETA. Sage has never really done ETAs. One day, it'll just be there. At most there'll be like a leak to GeekTonic 12 hours early, but until then.....
The latest info they gave put's the mac stuff at the bottom of the barrel. I'll be good if that changes and we'll know about it. You are right, they do do ETA's, of course, but they do *word*.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT View Post
I find myself wavering between highly agitated, and wondering if I'm being unreasonable with my expectation.

I only know it's being handled differently than I would, if I were the one trying to retain customers grow my business.
If one were trying to grow their business, especially a small business such as Sage, they would be crazy to spend any development dollars creating a server product on such an insignificant platform as OSX. You would pour your limited money into making the best product possible for the platform the +90 percent of the planet already uses. Even a client for OSX would be a highly speculative product unless much of the code could be ported over. I think sometimes mac users forget how truly small the install base of OSX is.

A much better use of limited resources would be to develop a client product for the very popular mobile "toys" apple produces, although with the highly subjective approval process that is currently used to allow or deny apps, it would be far from certain that you would ever see your money from that investment either.

Im not saying this to be mean, it's just the economics of running a small company. You should be happy that someone at sage obviously has a soft spot for mac & OSX.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

Let's not debate the number but lets look at it from this perspective.

1. It's java. The development on mac is much smaller than say Microsoft Office on windows vs osx.

2. When I bought the product it supported osx. When I upgraded to 7 no one said osx was no longer supported.

Neil
Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
1. It's java. The development on mac is much smaller than say Microsoft Office on windows vs osx.l
It's Java & already available on both Windows & Linux so is multi-platform. The extra work for OS X should be very small for the Client & Placeshifter at least.

From my point of view SageTV Client & Placeshifter on Mac OS X are the important products. Through no fault of Sage there is much better support for TV tuners on Windows than OS X & I can live with a dedicated Windows box that just sits there doing nothing except act as a SageTV server.

SageTV Client & Placeshifter on the iPhone/iPod/iPad would be incredibly cool. There already is such a product for the iPxx from Elgato for EyeTV competitor to SageTV that only runs on Macs.