SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 05-09-2003, 02:00 PM
Sage User

Cool yet possibly grey-area features coming?

Hi,
There are two features included on the ReplayTV that aren't available on any other pvr system/software (well except MythTV). They are:
1) Commerical Advance
2) Sharing Recordings with other SageTV users
Are there any plans on intergrating such features into SageTV?

Also, in several recent posts you said you where going to change the UI code to make the program skinnable. Does this mean that we'll be able to create our own menus from our own jpg/png/etc graphics (i.e. like WinAmp skins). And is this feature high or low priority on your list of things to do?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sharing shows shouldn't be a problem.. just copy them to another machine.. it doesn't even need to have SageTV installed.. or burn them to a DVD.. It's probably even easier with SageTV since it's using a standard MPEG format as opposed to that weird nuppelvideo container they use in MythTV.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Sage User

yeah...the second point is kinda moot as you can easily do that using other software without SageTV. I was wondering if they planned on having some sort of buddy list or something that will allow you to send files from within SageTV using just a remote control. And by sharing I mean not on the same network but across the internet with a user maybe not even in the same country.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:41 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

At this point we are going to avoid both Commercial Advance and Facilitating the sharing of recordings for obvious legal reasons. The only possibility would be the commercial advance feature in the future, but that only opens us up to potential lawsuits from the television industry.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:54 PM

1) is all ready support I do it called Skip button evern if only few sce that better nothing at all.

Don is rigth about 2) and not only that you need major bandwith.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Sage

Your best shot at seeing something like commercial advance show up were to be if someone were to provide some sort of DirectShow filter I could just plug in that would then generate 'bookmarking' information. The main key being we don't provide the thing that detects the commercials. Then I could have something else that played back files according to this generated bookmark information, sort of like an advanced playlist feature. Even some sort of EXE post processor that analyzes the MPEG2 file and then outputs a bookmark file is even feasible.

For transferring recordings to a different machine, there's one use of this that we'll most likely implement:
Let's say you connect your laptop to your home network and have SageTV Client installed on it. You're browsing your files on your SageTV server and want to save some of them to your laptop's hard drive for your trip you're about to go on. Logically, SageTV Client should have an option for files that would be "Transfer to Local Storage" so you could play the files back with your unconnected laptop later.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Sage

And skinning is a high priority item; but no timeline is available on it. You can browse the rest of the forums if you'd like to make your own estimate as to how long things take to get done at our company.
Old 05-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
And skinning is a high priority item; but no timeline is available on it. You can browse the rest of the forums if you'd like to make your own estimate as to how long things take to get done at our company.
Anyone care to start a pool? I've never seen Jeff use the words 'high priority item' so I'd guess that means real soon.
Old 05-09-2003, 05:31 PM

You have to be joking. By the time we had a pool set up. Jeff would have the features impemented. Besides whose to say he would'nt use an alias and take all our money.(joking)