SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:15 AM
SageTVaholic

Deciphering a JavaDoc

I'm trying to use this class and need some guidance on the JavaDoc:

http://jezhumble.github.com/javasysm...moryStats.html

I don't understand what to pass into the constructor. The whole purpose of the method is to get the FreeBytes and TotalBytes, what values do I assign to "free" and "total"? I've tried using the class and it seems whatever I use in the constructor gets passed back by getFreeBytes and getTotalBytes.

My code looks something like this;

Code:
public static long xxx () {

long free = 0;
  long total = 0;

MemoryStats memory = new MemoryStats(free, total);

return memory.getFreeBytes();

}
Everything compiles without error and I check for errors at runtime (null memory) but whatever I set "free" to is returned by the method.

I'm obviously missing something fundamental.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

That's a javadoc... not too terribly useful though!

If I had to guess... it's asking you to figure out the free and total, and it's just a "formatter" with it's toString method.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1234 View Post
That's a javadoc... not too terribly useful though!

If I had to guess... it's asking you to figure out the free and total, and it's just a "formatter" with it's toString method.
Agreed. Very poor docs, and the class itself doesn't look like it does anything useful beyond storing and returning the values you pass in to the constructor.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

My Java dialect is a little poor these days , but from some sample code, and some other references in the JavaDoc. I think you need to go about like this:

Code:
JavaSysMon monitor = new JavaSysMon();
MemoryStats memory = monitor.physical();

int iFreeMem = memory.getFreeBytes();
int iTotalMem = memory.getTotalBytes();
Could be wrong. But seems to match with the JavaDoc for JavaSysMon class. That again has the physical method. The physical method probably does the real job and uses MemoryStats as a container to return values.
SageTV 7.1.9 (headless/service) JavaRE 1.6.0_37 2x FloppyDTV C/CI (DVB-C) (fw: 1.2.10 B43110) (CAM: Conax) Win7 x64 Intel E3-1245V2 3.4GHz 16GB PC3-10600 ECC ASUS P8C WS (Intel C216) APC Back-UPS RS 800 STP-HD300 Extender (fw: beta 20110506 0) - HDMI/SPDIF - Yamaha RX-V2700 - HDMI - Sony KDL-52X2000
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks gents,

I actually have the code in there that creates a new JavaSysMon() but I didn't pick up the point about the physical() method. I'll look into this more when I get home.

It's definately more than a formatter because I can get some of the other classes and methods to do their thing.

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM
SageTVaholic

voidpt gets the cigar! I had to invoke .physical() to get the physical memory object and then use .getFreeBytes().