SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Question Weather api documentation

Is there a javadoc available for the weather api used in the default stv? Thanks.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 05-30-2010, 07:45 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm only guessing, but I'd imagine it uses the RSS APIs in the core? I think it's just an RSS feed used. Again, that's just a guess though.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 06-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Below is a list of the weather API calls used by SageTV.

Important
Use of these API calls requires abiding by the terms set by weather.com, the source of this weather information used by SageTV. This means that each weather related screen in SageTV must display the sponsor links and credits, as the default STV does at the bottom of every weather menu.

You do not need to worry about how often the data is downloaded from weather.com because these calls already track the last-update times and only get the updated RSS feed info as needed.

These calls are not designed to track multiple locations at once.

Quote:
Usage of weather API calls for SageTV integration in the Studio:

First get an instance of this class using:
Weather = tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getInstance()

Then you can set the units/locationID using:
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_setUnits(Weather, "s")
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_setLocationID(Weather, "USCA0924")

You can search for location IDs this way, its returns a java.util.Map of Names to LocationIDs:
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_searchLocations(Weather, "Chicago")

To cause an update to occur (it respects caching, returns a boolean):
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_updateNow()

To Get more info:
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getLocationID(Weather)
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getUnits(Weather)
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getLastError(Weather)
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getLocationProperties(Weather) returns a Map
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getCurrentConditionProperties(Weather) returns a Map
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getForecastProperties(Weather) returns a Map
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getSponsorProperties(Weather) returns a Map
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getLocationInfo(Weather, String property) returns a String
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getCurrentCondition(Weather, String property) returns a String
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getForecastCondition(Weather, String property) returns a String
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getSponsorLinks(Weather, String property) returns a String
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_getLastUpdateTime(Weather)
tv_sage_weather_WeatherDotCom_isCurrentlyUpdating(Weather)
- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Use of these API calls requires abiding by the terms set by weather.com, the source of this weather information used by SageTV. This means that each weather related screen in SageTV must display the sponsor links and credits, as the default STV does at the bottom of every weather menu.
Heh, that's a pain as its something I didn't do in the Ortus STV. I assume that its something I need to add or can I get away with it as its a user created STV and something thats not officially supported by SageTV?

Cheers

Ben
Old 06-02-2010, 01:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm pretty sure you can't get away with it. I'm adding the required stuff to the phoenix weather screen, but we're also evaluating other potential weather data sources.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to jaminben
Actually the code is in there along with the images but I guess theirs a bug somewhere which is why its not showing on screen. Unfortunately there's just not enough hours in the day to locate and fix it......maybe one day it'll work as it was intended to

Cheers

Ben
Old 06-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Administrator

If you are using the SageTV weather calls, then you are using SageTV's key and must therefore abide by weather.com's rules so that the built-in calls are not in violation of their terms. If you use SageTV's key & violate their terms, you put our weather data access at risk.

If you use your own key from weather.com, you can flout their rules at your own risk of having your key canceled.

I think the SageTV weather calls are based on source from nielm. That code may still be floating around somewhere & you could modify it to work the way you want.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.