SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:08 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj-boonie View Post
I installed them (after stopping sage) and my wife reports there is still some stutter. The video card is a 5670 so that should be able to handle it fine. I'm wondering if it's the WD GP drives, or if I should have rebooted the PC after copying the files?
Is the stutter more like a pause and then pixelation? If you rewind, does it happen again in the same place? If so, it may be the same problem I am having with SageDCT. The odd thing is that it does not happen with SageMCTuner. I have been working with Andy (the developer) on it, and he has determined that I am having some consistent packet loss in the recording. It happens frequently, at least 3-4 times a minute, and on every channel. So far, it seems as though I am the only person reporting this (unless xj-boonie is actually having the same problem). For now, it is an open issue, and I am using SageMCTuner. Since no one else is seeing it, it may some quirk with my rig.

Server: SageTV 7
Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Sage Expert

I just got my ceton tuner hooked up and after downloading the latest publicly available drivers from ceton's site (it includes firmware 1.0.2.2), SageDCT worked just fine without having to join any beta programs (I'm guessing this is because SageDCT requires firmware of 1.0.1.51 or greater).

This is just amazing though now that it's working and would highly recommend this to everyone. Channels change within seconds and I can tune most channels I've tried thus far (Verizon FIOS).

@babgvant - is there a way I can debug why some channels tune and some don't? e.g. ABC and NBC tune just fine but CBS does not. I did a quick test using Windows Media Center (win7) and I was able to tune CBS just fine there... so I know the issue is not with Verizon or with my cablecard... it's either with Sage or with SageDCT. Thoughts?
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
I just got my ceton tuner hooked up and after downloading the latest publicly available drivers from ceton's site (it includes firmware 1.0.2.2), SageDCT worked just fine without having to join any beta programs (I'm guessing this is because SageDCT requires firmware of 1.0.1.51 or greater).

This is just amazing though now that it's working and would highly recommend this to everyone. Channels change within seconds and I can tune most channels I've tried thus far (Verizon FIOS).

@babgvant - is there a way I can debug why some channels tune and some don't? e.g. ABC and NBC tune just fine but CBS does not. I did a quick test using Windows Media Center (win7) and I was able to tune CBS just fine there... so I know the issue is not with Verizon or with my cablecard... it's either with Sage or with SageDCT. Thoughts?
It sounds like FIOS has does not have CBS flagged as "Copy Freely". Strange, but that would explain it. MCE has all the DRM that allows you to watch any channels, but since SageTV and/or SageDCT does not (not sure which would need it...probably SageTV), anything not marked "Copy Freely" will not play. I doubt SageDCT is the issue.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
It sounds like FIOS has does not have CBS flagged as "Copy Freely". Strange, but that would explain it. MCE has all the DRM that allows you to watch any channels, but since SageTV and/or SageDCT does not (not sure which would need it...probably SageTV), anything not marked "Copy Freely" will not play. I doubt SageDCT is the issue.
Quick update. I submitted a ticket to Ceton and they just added me to the beta program. I then upgraded to their 1.0.2.8 beta firmware, rebooted, and tried CBS again which wasn't working before and voila, CBS now works

Maybe it had something to do with whatever Ceton fixed between 1.0.2.2 (which didn't work with CBS) and 1.0.2.8 (which now does work with CBS)?
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
Quick update. I submitted a ticket to Ceton and they just added me to the beta program. I then upgraded to their 1.0.2.8 beta firmware, rebooted, and tried CBS again which wasn't working before and voila, CBS now works

Maybe it had something to do with whatever Ceton fixed between 1.0.2.2 (which didn't work with CBS) and 1.0.2.8 (which now does work with CBS)?
Great! It seemed odd that FIOS would restrict CBS, but you never know........

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Is the stutter more like a pause and then pixelation? If you rewind, does it happen again in the same place? If so, it may be the same problem I am having with SageDCT. The odd thing is that it does not happen with SageMCTuner. I have been working with Andy (the developer) on it, and he has determined that I am having some consistent packet loss in the recording. It happens frequently, at least 3-4 times a minute, and on every channel. So far, it seems as though I am the only person reporting this (unless xj-boonie is actually having the same problem). For now, it is an open issue, and I am using SageMCTuner. Since no one else is seeing it, it may some quirk with my rig.
My wife's report:

umm no pixelation (assuming that means the picture goes fuzzy?)

yes still there if rewind and replay (same spot)

it is playing along, picture freezes, sometimes voice comes back before the picture starts moving again (it jumps ahead to correct spot), the voice if comes back before picture---it is still skipped ahead in story line.
it's like someone is changing channels during viewing----however much quicker than our most recent channel changing experience
it happens different channels, different shows, and couple times a minute throughout whole show.
you just get used to it---sadly
i will watch parenthood or castle tonight and keep track of the frequency better

So it doesn't sound like the same issue as yours kmp14.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
My wife's report:

umm no pixelation (assuming that means the picture goes fuzzy?)

yes still there if rewind and replay (same spot)

it is playing along, picture freezes, sometimes voice comes back before the picture starts moving again (it jumps ahead to correct spot), the voice if comes back before picture---it is still skipped ahead in story line.
it's like someone is changing channels during viewing----however much quicker than our most recent channel changing experience
it happens different channels, different shows, and couple times a minute throughout whole show.
you just get used to it---sadly
i will watch parenthood or castle tonight and keep track of the frequency better

So it doesn't sound like the same issue as yours kmp14.
That sounds exactly like my issue (minus the pixelation at the end of the freeze). I watch TV via extenders (HD200 and HD300) so they may handle the dropped packets differently (pixelation after the freeze) than watching via a PC.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Sage User

I have the Ceton Tuner (with beta FW) using SageDCT.

Randomly the live TV playback will stop and I will get this error when trying to tuner another channel:

Error (-10): No encoders can tune the selected station

I have to stop and restart the SageTV/SageDCT service to get it working again.

Has anyone had this issue when using SageDCT? I did not have this problem when I was using SageMCTuner.

Last edited by bollockz; 02-18-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollockz View Post
I have the Ceton Tuner (with beta FW) using SageDCT.

Randomly the live TV playback will stop and I will get this error when trying to tuner another channel:

Error (-10): No encoders can tune the selected station

I have to stop and restart the SageTV/SageDCT service to get it working again.

Has anyone had this issue when using SageDCT? I did not have this problem when I was using SageMCTuner.
From the readme:

Quote:
Logs are written to %ProgramData%\SageDCT\, if you encounter an issue please capture a verbose log (service needs to be restarted to detect the change) and send it to me.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Sage User

Figures. I fail to pay attention to the readme yet again. Thanks. I sent you a private message
Old 02-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Sage Fanatic

I have found running sagedct to be less than reliable now I dont believe it is sagedct but maybe the server it runs on or the network connection. I find rebooting my box which has the ceton card in it helps. I am running the latest beta firmware. I find when running the ceton diagnostics that the card is unusable in sagedct unless i reboot the machine. Just my 2 cents without a lot of science. I wonder if it would be betteer if the ceton card was in my sage server. Unfortunately right now i donT have this luxury.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That sounds exactly like my issue (minus the pixelation at the end of the freeze). I watch TV via extenders (HD200 and HD300) so they may handle the dropped packets differently (pixelation after the freeze) than watching via a PC.
Do you know if the dropped packets thing can be fixed? I like the quicker channel changing but might have to go back to SageMCTuner...
Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 PM
SageTVaholic

If this has been asked sorry, but if not I am curious to see what providers you guys are using with this device. I see a few with FIOS, but not everybody.

So, who do you use?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
If this has been asked sorry, but if not I am curious to see what providers you guys are using with this device. I see a few with FIOS, but not everybody.

So, who do you use?

Comcast in Minnesota
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Do you know if the dropped packets thing can be fixed? I like the quicker channel changing but might have to go back to SageMCTuner...
It depends what the problem is. I may try to use a different method to capture the packets if the problem continues.

Posted an updated version of SageDCT. If after updating it and making sure you have the latest drivers, firmware and other firmware ("FiOS") there is still a problem enable verbose logging and data receive logging and get me the log file.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post

So, who do you use?

Comcast in Minnesota - Also
Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Comcast in Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollockz View Post
Comcast in Minnesota - Also
Comcast in Minnesota.

I wonder which one of you I jacked my cable from.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

This is going to sound crazy but i have the green pixelation on all my cable feeds even via the HDHomeRun. It just dawned on me that this all started when I fired up the ceton card. I think the ceton card is causing problems within my cable feed. I have to unplug it to test but I really think I have a major problem. My feed via the ceton card is terrible and i thought it was a network issue but when two of my HDHomeRuns crapped out and the new one is showing the same problem AND comcast insists there is no signal issues I believe it has to be that card!

Neil
Old 02-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post
This is going to sound crazy but i have the green pixelation on all my cable feeds even via the HDHomeRun. It just dawned on me that this all started when I fired up the ceton card. I think the ceton card is causing problems within my cable feed. I have to unplug it to test but I really think I have a major problem. My feed via the ceton card is terrible and i thought it was a network issue but when two of my HDHomeRuns crapped out and the new one is showing the same problem AND comcast insists there is no signal issues I believe it has to be that card!

Neil
Maybe you have a bad coax cable with a short or something? Make sure to check all the cables, splitters, etc...

I have ceton and HDhomeruns working together.

Last edited by kmp14; 02-20-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Sage Fanatic

i put the card in a 1u chassis on a riser and I bet there is a grounding issue. I have seen issues like this where the card is either grounded or not grounded. We fixed it with black tape

I'll play with it and post my findings!

Neil