SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
My bad, they are listed under "BDA Receiver Components" and "BDA Source Filters".
No worries.

Hey while looking into the graph building I came across this post :http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9288 which talks about using a universal network encoding program that will tune the channel and dump the desired AV file. The program is called SGraphRecorder.

I might be grasping a bit here, but would this implementation work as well?

In my specific case it will not work as the DUMP filter needed to produce the file is 32bit and my Win7 box is 64bit. So I can build the graph from the MS Network tuner to the Ceton connected to a MPEG multiplexer eventually to a file writer (which I believe is not compatible). The graph works but the file is always 0 byte.

I know you mentioned that even with a graph built there is specail code needed to talk to the ceton, is SGraphRecorder capable of doing this? I had one instance of it running listening on 6970 (Tuner #1) and in the log file I could see that the Recorder is talking to the Ceton. I have howerver no clue if the recording is failing because of the wrong DShow File Writer or because this program is not really intended for this use.

I will play around with it a little more and comment back if I find anything else.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anosis View Post

I know you mentioned that even with a graph built there is specail code needed to talk to the ceton, is SGraphRecorder capable of doing this? I had one instance of it running listening on 6970 (Tuner #1) and in the log file I could see that the Recorder is talking to the Ceton. I have howerver no clue if the recording is failing because of the wrong DShow File Writer or because this program is not really intended for this use.

I will play around with it a little more and comment back if I find anything else.
The code is to setup the PBDA capture graph, AFAIK it is not possible to use a tool like SGraphRecorder to do that (but take that FWIW, I haven't been able to make it work in C# either ).
Old 05-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Sage User

Does this change anything?

Ceton has just (May 9th) announced the release of network tuners, although this has been available for a while in the beta. Does this potentially replace SageDCT or simplify the architecture of it, or does this only work with MC?

Here is a link:
http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv/suppor...nerswizard.php
4x1.5TB RAID5 | eSATA Promise DS4600: 4.1 TB Archived recordings, DVD rips & other media, backups

Old 05-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason531 View Post
Ceton has just (May 9th) announced the release of network tuners, although this has been available for a while in the beta. Does this potentially replace SageDCT or simplify the architecture of it, or does this only work with MC?

Here is a link:
http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv/suppor...nerswizard.php
Just for MC.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hey Andy,
Any progress on the writing side of SageDCT..
Old 05-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
Hey Andy,
Any progress on the writing side of SageDCT..
I started looking at doing TS->PS conversion internally, but put that on hold when someone contacted me about them (or someone they knew) doing it for me. If nothing comes from that I'll pick it up again since I haven't been able to make any progress on making it work as a PBDA capture.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I started looking at doing TS->PS conversion internally, but put that on hold when someone contacted me about them (or someone they knew) doing it for me. If nothing comes from that I'll pick it up again since I haven't been able to make any progress on making it work as a PBDA capture.
Sounds Good, Thanks for the update.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:12 AM

My SageDCT+Ceton not working so well.

I thought I would post here rather than start a new thread. I am having problems similar to what others are having before they get the Ceton beta firmware. I have hardware 4884 and firmware 1.0.3.4. Is the 1.0.3.4 beta later than 1.0.3.4?

SageDCT+SageTV started out working fine and then gets worse over time. At first I could record programs fine with only an occasional hiccup, but after a day or three nothing records without problem. One two hour movie had many bad spots. Once that happens then live TV is very jerky and basically unwatchable. At that point the SageDCT process is running 25% CPU usage on my Phenom X4 9850, usually it isn't showing much cpu usage at all. Then I stop the service and restart it. After that it doesn't work at all. If I use the Configuration Utility to record a test video it doesn't have any picture or sound.

I uninstall SageDCT and reinstall but that doesn't help. I uninstall the Ceton drivers and reinstall them plus DCT and it does work again for a few days and then the same thing happens.

Additional info: Media Center doesn't work anymore. It used to work fine with the Ceton, but now crashes when doing the TV Signal setup. I tried using System Restore but it didn't help. I believe a repair install is the only other way to fix it.

The Ceton diagnostic gives a warning that the CableCo needs to send authorization even though that has already been done and everything seems to work with the CC. The diagnostic program doesn't seem to recognize the pairing, but it seems to work.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:50 PM

Follow up in case anyone runs into the same problems I am having:

I did a repair install to get MC working again, but that didn't help. Turned out MC was crashing because of codecs in BeyondTV and SageTV. If I rename their directories so MC can't find them, MC works fine.

After repair install and reinstall drivers, SageDCT worked fine. It recorded a sample of tv fine. I got SageTV going and re-setup the tuners and channel lineups--the channel previews worked fine. Then I started to watch some tv and it didn't take long at all before it got choppy and then the sound went away. I tried to go back to the grid and SageTV gave me the spiral of death, but eventually made it back to the grid. I checked Task Manager and sure enough SageDCT had 25% cpu usage and I'm back where I was before.

Then I go to the SageDCT configuration utility to test it. When I try to test I get the error: Connection can not be made because target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:6970 When I stop the service and restart, then I am able to send commands again. Now the sample video recording has no picture or sound.

I'm sure jealous of those who have this all working, because I've put a lot of time into this and my wife is still wondering "when our tv is going to be working like it was in our last house." If I can't make any headway, then I'll just have to hope I can sell the Ceton and wait until July for the HDHR Prime. I just don't think MC is going to cut it for us.

Last edited by Beefstew83; 05-25-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew83 View Post

SNIP...... Now the sample video recording has no picture or sound.

I'm sure jealous of those who have this all working, because I've put a lot of time into this and my wife is still wondering "when our tv is going to be working like it was in our last house." If I can't make any headway, then I'll just have to hope I can sell the Ceton and wait until July for the HDHR Prime. I just don't think MC is going to cut it for us.
Hey Hey..
The no sound and no picture is a known issue, one that I believe Andy is working on and will eventually have resolved. In the mean time, trying running it through VideoRedo's Quick Stream Fix, and see if that does not fix the sample.

As far as the other problem(s), it sounds like maybe the machine housing the ceton doesn't have enough power, or maybe HDD bandwidth, but just guessing here.. If it does, I would do a complete software re-install, from the OS Up.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Updating to the most recent SageTV beta seems to resolve the no picture and sound issues for most people. There were also a couple of files you could download and manually replace with out upgrading SageTV, but I forgot what they were and don't have the links.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso View Post
Updating to the most recent SageTV beta seems to resolve the no picture and sound issues for most people. There were also a couple of files you could download and manually replace with out upgrading SageTV, but I forgot what they were and don't have the links.
+1. I wasted Andy's time reporting no sound, but I had not RTFM. The read me with SageDct explains the need for the beta, or the manual update of file.

Server: SageTV 7
Old 05-26-2011, 03:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
+1. I wasted Andy's time reporting no sound, but I had not RTFM. The read me with SageDct explains the need for the beta, or the manual update of file.
Indeed, but for those not using sage as an extender the problem persists.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaCrew View Post
Hey Hey..
The no sound and no picture is a known issue, one that I believe Andy is working on and will eventually have resolved. In the mean time, trying running it through VideoRedo's Quick Stream Fix, and see if that does not fix the sample.

As far as the other problem(s), it sounds like maybe the machine housing the ceton doesn't have enough power, or maybe HDD bandwidth, but just guessing here.. If it does, I would do a complete software re-install, from the OS Up.
I did a repair install and installed the 7.1.5 beta and nothing helped. I have a ticket going with Ceton. As for power, it's a Phenom 9850 quad core on a HD3200 mobo. I thought that would be enough power. As for HD bandwidth, I have one of those 3tb drives that has to have a PCIX card. I don't know if that affects the bandwidth. I could try recording to the C: just to test.

The DCT seems to be the problem, but maybe it's just a symptom. I keep getting the can't connect target machine actively blocking request after awhile, but maybe that's bandwidth related. The target machine gets backed up and can't handle any more requests. Something to look into.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew83 View Post
I did a repair install and installed the 7.1.5 beta and nothing helped. I have a ticket going with Ceton. As for power, it's a Phenom 9850 quad core on a HD3200 mobo. I thought that would be enough power. As for HD bandwidth, I have one of those 3tb drives that has to have a PCIX card. I don't know if that affects the bandwidth. I could try recording to the C: just to test.

The DCT seems to be the problem, but maybe it's just a symptom. I keep getting the can't connect target machine actively blocking request after awhile, but maybe that's bandwidth related. The target machine gets backed up and can't handle any more requests. Something to look into.
I really don't think a "repair install" is the way to go personally. I would do completely clean install (from the "ground up" >> OS >> CETON >> SAGETV >> SageDCT).
Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Sage Aficionado

Watch The Betas

Quote:
I really don't think a "repair install" is the way to go personally. I would do completely clean install (from the "ground up" >> OS >> CETON >> SAGETV >> SageDCT).
I completely agree with that.

While you are at it, you might want to consider not using any "codec packs" or Beta software. For Beta's, I wouldn't use them unless it allowed functionality that I absolutely needed (that's needed not wanted).
For example, the Betas of the SageDCT and Ceton card are obviously needed.

Get the system running flawlessly with the absolute minimum. Then "Gollum" over your "Precious" being suspicious of any unfamiliar thing that gets close to it.

Last edited by doncote0; 05-27-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:20 AM

AlphaCrew's suggestion about the HDD seems to be what part of the problem was. I have a 3tb drive for recording that never gave me trouble with BeyondTV and HDHR. Because of its size I had to use an RAID adapter card that came with the drive. When I set the recording drive to my 75gb WD Raptor then things were functioning correctly.

Then I updated by BIOS to support the larger drive. ASUS apparently came out with an update after I got the drive going. I eliminated the adapter card and set the recording drive back to the 3tb. I watched some hdtv without noticeable problem and have several test recordings setup.

A clean install is probably in the future, but to do so now would cause a major disturbance in the force (to counter your LOTR reference with a SW reference).
Old 06-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Sage Icon

Since Ceton just lowered the price, I'm gonna order it. I haven't followed closely on the development of SageMCTuner/SageDCT, so I don't know how it is working for everyone. I think the difference is that SageMCTuner requires SageTV recording through WMC7 and SageDCT does not, is that correct? Which is better? I'm on FIOS if that matters. Thanks for any inputs.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
I think the difference is that SageMCTuner requires SageTV recording through WMC7 and SageDCT does not, is that correct?
Correct. SageMCTuner sends the request to 7MC, then remuxes the output into a file that Sage can read. SageDCT uses the network tuner functionality to bypass the middleman and tunes the card directly.

Quote:
Which is better? I'm on FIOS if that matters.
Personally, I'm using and loving SageDCT. I've got Comcast though, so I don't know much about the success/experience of people using FIOS.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythikal View Post
Correct. SageMCTuner sends the request to 7MC, then remuxes the output into a file that Sage can read. SageDCT uses the network tuner functionality to bypass the middleman and tunes the card directly.

Personally, I'm using and loving SageDCT. I've got Comcast though, so I don't know much about the success/experience of people using FIOS.
Thanks for the explanation. I had been following this thread with the intention of purchasing a Prime. Gave up yesterday (cancelled my preorder with Newegg) and ordered the Ceton with the price drop from buy.com.

Wayne
i5-6400, MSI B150M Micro ATX MB, 16GB DDR3 1600, 2 - WD Green 2TB SATA Drives, Lite-On SATA 4X Blu-ray Reader, Corsair 400W 80+ Power Supply, Silverstone Sugo SG02-BF MicroATX Case, Windows 10 (64), HDHR Dual X2, Quatro and Prime, 5 x HD300 + 2 x HD100