SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I did say most... obviously, it's possible.. I, for one, never really found a point to 'channel surfing', even before I had a DVR - now that I do, I REALLY don't see why anyone would. Channel Surfing, to me, is the same as saying "hmmm.. I don't know what I want to watch, so let me just flip through watching a little bit of things in progress, until I see something I like, so I can watch the last half of it, then start over again."
Or maybe there's people that enjoy watching live sports like NFL football where 3 games are playing at the same time and flip between them during commercials... or finding some mindless drivel to watch when cleaning the house... or, having watched all your recordings, still wanting to watch tv... or watching live news stories as they happen on different channels... or... or... or...
I'm sure there are many reasons people channel surf. You have to pull yourself away from your own context and think about theirs. It seems ridiculous to blindly state something like "most Sage users certainly never channel surf".

Anyway... I'm happy with my current setup but would love to get rid of the HD-PVRs and cable boxes. Can't wait for the network tuning capability of the Ceton to be released and hear from a SageTV user who's tested it. At that point there will be much less tuning delay and a much better reason for a Sage user to own the device.
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
4 Steps to Perfect Stutter Free Playback for SageTV
Quick Guide: How to Bitstream Audio in Windows 7
Old 11-18-2010, 02:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyJer View Post
Or maybe there's people that enjoy watching live sports like NFL football where 3 games are playing at the same time and flip between them during commercials... or finding some mindless drivel to watch when cleaning the house... or, having watched all your recordings, still wanting to watch tv... or watching live news stories as they happen on different channels... or... or... or...
I'm sure there are many reasons people channel surf. You have to pull yourself away from your own context and think about theirs. It seems ridiculous to blindly state something like "most Sage users certainly never channel surf".
Those uses are not really what most would consider 'channel surfing'. For the NFL situation, there aren't more than 2 games available at any given time on any cable provider (DirecTV would be an exception), and would most likely be much more ideal to have both games set to record - in which case, there is no 'tuning delay' switching between games. The rest of what you discussed is, yes, watching LiveTV, but no 'channel surfing' in the sense where the tuning delay would be incredibly troublesome (tune once to your 'drivel', and start cleaning). Even the news situation could be handled with a couple quick hits of the REC button. Channel surfing is not the same thing as watching livetv. Channel surfing, to me, is pressing ChUp through the channels, until you find something to watch, and I stand by the assumption that it is NOT a common practice among sagetv users, and really something that has steadily become far less common since the introduction of the onscreen program guide some 15 years ago.
Quote:
Anyway... I'm happy with my current setup but would love to get rid of the HD-PVRs and cable boxes. Can't wait for the network tuning capability of the Ceton to be released and hear from a SageTV user who's tested it. At that point there will be much less tuning delay and a much better reason for a Sage user to own the device.
That update to the ceton card has nothing to do with it's usage in sagetv. All it will allow is OTHER 7MC pc's to share the tuner. It does nothing to change the DRM requirements, or lack of SageTV CableCard certification, and as such, does not give a sage user a better reason for owning the device.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Channel surfing, to me, is pressing ChUp through the channels, until you find something to watch...
If that's your definition then I 100% agree.

Quote:
That update to the ceton card has nothing to do with it's usage in sagetv. All it will allow is OTHER 7MC pc's to share the tuner. It does nothing to change the DRM requirements, or lack of SageTV CableCard certification, and as such, does not give a sage user a better reason for owning the device.
Hmm... for some reason I was under the impression this would make it accessible to any software that could see it as a network tuner, like the hdhomerun. Suckage. Guess I'll be sticking with the HD-PVR's. At least they're finally working flawlessly.
Currently using SageTV Media Center Server on Windows 7, SageTV Client as an HTPC on Windows 7, and an HD Theater HD200. The server controls 3 Motorola DCH-3200 cable boxes and 3 Hauppauge HD-PVRs (all Rev F1) with HD audio and changes channels via firewire WITH NO LOCKUPS. It's awesome.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:07 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If that's your definition then I 100% agree.

Hmm... for some reason I was under the impression this would make it accessible to any software that could see it as a network tuner, like the hdhomerun. Suckage. Guess I'll be sticking with the HD-PVR's. At least they're finally working flawlessly.
Sage doesn't even see the HDHomeRun as a 'network tuner'. It sees it as a BDA tuning device attached to the sagetv server. The HDHomeRun drivers themselves are what handle the network side of things.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Sage doesn't even see the HDHomeRun as a 'network tuner'. It sees it as a BDA tuning device attached to the sagetv server. The HDHomeRun drivers themselves are what handle the network side of things.
Thanks for the explanation Fuzzy.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

There's no standard for network tuners. In fact, I think Sage is about the only app that actually supports network tuners. Most "network" tuners work like the HDHR where the app just uses normal drivers and all the network stuff happens behind the scenes.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
There's no standard for network tuners. In fact, I think Sage is about the only app that actually supports network tuners. Most "network" tuners work like the HDHR where the app just uses normal drivers and all the network stuff happens behind the scenes.
Which, conveniently, is where the FCC may be looking at in the future for ALL content entering the home = over an IP Gateway device that appears as a 'standardized' network tuner for and given source (cable, sat, even OTA). SageTV did support this with multiple conversations with the FCC on it. Only time will tell.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via AIM to Ted@TNT
I'm a big fan of SiliconDust HDHR's, and now they have a new product coming - HDHR Prime. It's a CableCard device designed for 7MC - of course. I'm inquiring with them if they'll also be taking care of their SageTV customers by providing some way for it to work with SageTV running on Windows7 - even if it is by way of MediaCenter, but implemented automatically through their installation.

Anyway, my hopes are high that they'll include us, perhaps it is worth it for a bunch of us to express our interest?

support@silicondust.com
W7 64-bit, SageTV V7, Phoenix2 Asus P5W DH-Deluxe Motherboard, Core 2 Quad, 12 GB DDR2, 250 GB OS, 2 TB Recordings, 6 TB Movies (holding DVD library), nVidia 285, HD PVR 1212 x2, HDHR x2, Zalmann HD160XT case, Harmony 890pro Remote. Pioneer 50" KURO Plasma, Pioneer Elite 7.1 surround A/V receiver, Energy & Paradigm speakers.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Talking Getting Better Soon

Quote:
HDHomeRun® - PRIME™ Quick status update...
We are at CableLabs® for the final review, with release to production in 2 weeks. Pre-order and release dates will be announced shortly following release to production.

On the availability side we are working with major retail partners to stock the HDHomeRun PRIME and accept pre-orders. The price has been confirmed at $249.

Black Friday - We have been working with the good people at Newegg for a great Black Friday deal on the original HDHomeRun-Dual ATSC/clear QAM tuner. The sale runs Friday November 26 continuing through to Cyber Monday.

Happy holidays,
Ted H - CEO
Silicondust Inc. USA
Looks like it might be available through their "major retail partners" one of which is mentioned in the next paragraph (newegg).

As for cost savings, HD cable box in my area is $10.99/month and DVR service is another $10/month, so this will save about $21/month per tuner minus the cost of the cablecard rental (versus a Comcast HD DVR). I am going to return 2 HD cable boxes once I get this.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thumbs up Let's Keep The Status Updated

Everyone that gets a CableCard capture tuner, please post their results here (like Mythikal did).

Let us know things like how many streams you are recording in SageTV, what City and State you live in, and if anything is blocked. If you already have another solution that has blocked channels (i.e. Firewire), let us know if you see any difference.

Thanks!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

My Ceton Coming Tomorrow

It will be a while before I am ready to mess with the rock-solid stability of my SageTV server and try getting SageMCTuner going. I will post my results. Hopefully by the time I do it Comcast will allow for self-installs of the cable card.

Server: SageTV 7
Old 12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Sage Expert

So, you are getting a Ceton tomorrow, but you aren't going to integrate it into Sage or get a Cable Card to go with it?

What are you going to use it for or what am I misunderstanding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
It will be a while before I am ready to mess with the rock-solid stability of my SageTV server and try getting SageMCTuner going. I will post my results. Hopefully by the time I do it Comcast will allow for self-installs of the cable card.
Clients: Wired: HD300, HD200, HD200 running Squeeze Slave, Placeshifters, HD200 (via wireless N bridge)
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Crusher View Post
So, you are getting a Ceton tomorrow, but you aren't going to integrate it into Sage or get a Cable Card to go with it?

What are you going to use it for or what am I misunderstanding?
Of course I am going to install it and get a cable card. I was just saying that my sagetv rig is so stable that I am nervous messing with it. I might wait a couple weeks before I dive in.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM
Sage User

A little help here: I have the Service installed, but it's not showing up in SageTV as a network encoder or anything. Every time I add anything to Sage.properties it's gone when I look again.

Any help? Thanks.

Last edited by FIN745; 12-06-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIN745 View Post
Every time I add anything to Sage.properties it's gone when I look again.
You can't edit the file while Sage is running. You must shut down Sage completely (including the service) before making any property file edits.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Sage User

I have almost the same setup as Mythikal

Windows 7 x64
Bunch of HDD
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Cable card tuner
Etc
(I did a clean install of windows 7 and sagetv 7)

And I followed his directing and they are golden.
I configured this in SageTV v7

When I followed Mythikal's directions all 4 tuners were immediately detected upon SageTV v7 start up and Sage asked me to configure the tuners. The only problem I had was I did not realize that the Avivo did not properly register the dll.

I manually registered it by opening an elevated command prompt and entering
Code:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia\atimpenc.dll"
It registerd the "atimpenc.dll" after a few tries and bam....Video start up up in sage and all 4 tuners are working.

here are the links

SageMCTuner http://babgvant.com/files/folders/sa...ntry14737.aspx

Avivo http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/ATI-Avivo-Encoder-Package-911-for-Vista-Win7-Download-86841.html

Now I am enjoying HD broadcast with four tuners In SageTV
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Sage Fanatic

excellent. Is it only copy free content? or is it encrypted content as well.
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollockz View Post
I have almost the same setup as Mythikal

Windows 7 x64
Bunch of HDD
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Cable card tuner
Etc
(I did a clean install of windows 7 and sagetv 7)

And I followed his directing and they are golden.
I configured this in SageTV v7

When I followed Mythikal's directions all 4 tuners were immediately detected upon SageTV v7 start up and Sage asked me to configure the tuners. The only problem I had was I did not realize that the Avivo did not properly register the dll.

I manually registered it by opening an elevated command prompt and entering
Code:
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ATI Technologies\Multimedia\atimpenc.dll"
It registerd the "atimpenc.dll" after a few tries and bam....Video start up up in sage and all 4 tuners are working.

here are the links

SageMCTuner http://babgvant.com/files/folders/sa...ntry14737.aspx

Avivo http://drivers.softpedia.com/progDownload/ATI-Avivo-Encoder-Package-911-for-Vista-Win7-Download-86841.html

Now I am enjoying HD broadcast with four tuners In SageTV
Do you have the long channel changing delay?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Showanalyzer

For people using the Ceton and doing commercial skipping with ShowAnalyzer: Is Showanalyzer 0.97 able to process the commercials for shows recorded with the Ceton, or is SAV1 (Showanalyzer V1) required. The reason I ask is that I have V0.97 tweaked to the point that it is very accurate. I dont want to switch to SAV1 if it is not required.

I am calling comcast this week to come out with the Cable Card and get the Ceton installed.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Sage User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
excellent. Is it only copy free content? or is it encrypted content as well.
I don't have any premium channels (I.E. HBO Etc.) But every channel I do have on my subscription works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Do you have the long channel changing delay?
Yes I do. Bout 13 seconds. at first I hated it but after you get used to it's nothing really. I usually don't just channel surf but I do watch live TV and it doesn't really bother me all that much

Hopefully Sage will support the cable card directly in the near future