SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I'd more than than willing to help out with the beta
Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Now THAT'S exciting!
Old 01-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Wonderful. If this works reliably, I will be purchasing the Ceton card. I need to be running Windows 7 for the Ceton card to work, correct?
Server: Gigabyte EP43-UD3L; Intel Core2Duo E5200; 4 GB DDR2 RAM; NVidia GeForce 9400GT; 6 tuners: Hauppauge HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM combo, Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 Dual Hybrid QAM, HD Homerun Prime (using SageDCT); 3.06TB total space: Seagate 160 GB, Maxtor 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 400GB, Hitachi 2 TB
Extender: HD200
Netgear MCAB1001 MoCA Coax-Ethernet Adapter Kit
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My hero! I've been waiting for the HDHRPrime so I did not have to mess around with WMC. I'll also put my hand up as a potential beta tester.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Sage User

Quote:
What kind of NIC are you using?
My NIC is motherboard-based PCIe, which shows up in device manager as "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller." It has a property on the advanced tab of the properties for "interrupt modulation" which is enabled. Installing the latest driver reduced my DPC/ISR CPU usage from around 40% to about 32%. I've considered enabling bridging but that might cause other problems and might not help -- I have no idea.

I wonder if others have the same issue and whether a different NIC would help. I'm sure I have a gigabit NIC lying around, but it is PCI not PCIe. I guess I could test that.

(BTW, I found this issue because SysInternals Process Explorer was reporting the DPCs and Interrupts as using a lot of CPU. I then followed this guide to narrow it down to ndis.sys. I mention this in case anyone else wants to troubleshoot this or similar issues.)
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason531 View Post
My NIC is motherboard-based PCIe, which shows up in device manager as "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller." It has a property on the advanced tab of the properties for "interrupt modulation" which is enabled. Installing the latest driver reduced my DPC/ISR CPU usage from around 40% to about 32%. I've considered enabling bridging but that might cause other problems and might not help -- I have no idea.

I wonder if others have the same issue and whether a different NIC would help. I'm sure I have a gigabit NIC lying around, but it is PCI not PCIe. I guess I could test that.

(BTW, I found this issue because SysInternals Process Explorer was reporting the DPCs and Interrupts as using a lot of CPU. I then followed this guide to narrow it down to ndis.sys. I mention this in case anyone else wants to troubleshoot this or similar issues.)
I haven't noticed any issues w/ resources during my testing, but the system I have the card in is pretty high-end (for a HTPC).

FWIW - I'm a big fan of Intel NICs. Had several issues with Realtek in the past.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Sage User

SageTV tuning the Ceton card without 7MC proxied.....? I am super excited

Can't wait to get rid of 7MC and hopefully cut down on the tuning delay

If you need any more testers I would be willing!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Sage User

I was able to obtain the beta firmware from Ceton and have it installed (with my card serial registered)
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Anyone having minor weirdness with commercial skipping of Ceton recorded shows? I have ShowAnalyzer .97 and the 1.0 release installed, and both exhibit this behavior: The commercial skipping drifts. The first commercial segment is marked perfectly, but each subsequent commercial segment gets marked as a couple seconds earlier then it should, and, logically, ends a couple seconds earlier than it should. It gets a little worse with each segment. I also have an HDHomerun for the local channels, and those recordings get marked perfectly. Minor, but annoying.....

Server: SageTV 7
Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post
Anyone having minor weirdness with commercial skipping of Ceton recorded shows? I have ShowAnalyzer .97 and the 1.0 release installed, and both exhibit this behavior: The commercial skipping drifts. The first commercial segment is marked perfectly, but each subsequent commercial segment gets marked as a couple seconds earlier then it should, and, logically, ends a couple seconds earlier than it should. It gets a little worse with each segment. I also have an HDHomerun for the local channels, and those recordings get marked perfectly. Minor, but annoying.....
That is an issue with the fact that your hour long recording is actually 59:50 or so (due to the long tuning time), but sage 'scales' the timeline to make it look like a 60 minute show. The problem is the Comskip UI sees the scaled timeline. There's a feature added to v7 to disable this time scaling. in the sageclient.properties (I believe it's videoframe/disable_timescaling_on_seek). It can also no be set in the comskip playback UI mod configuration: Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Comskip Playback Options -> Operation Options -> Scale Timeline. Set it to No and your skips should be more accurate.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Sage Expert

Cable card support in Sage

Noticed this post on Missing Remote website:

http://www.missingremote.com/taxonomy/term/36

Sounds interesting. Don't know how many channels are "copy freely" though.

* merged *
Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscic View Post
Noticed this post on Missing Remote website:

http://www.missingremote.com/taxonomy/term/36

Sounds interesting. Don't know how many channels are "copy freely" though.
Unfortunately, it depends on your carrier. The premium channels are guaranteed to NOT be copy freely - the others seems random.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Sage User

Can't wait to get my hands on this.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Sage Expert

GRRrrrrrr Brighthouse Networks.... grumble grumble

=(
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Sage User

NIC DPC/ISR comparison & RAID0 tests

Quote:
I haven't noticed any issues w/ resources during my testing, but the system I have the card in is pretty high-end (for a HTPC).

FWIW - I'm a big fan of Intel NICs. Had several issues with Realtek in the past.
Well, I finally got around to testing a new Intel PCIe NIC after getting my card working with Comcast again. I had some missing channels so the rep "fixed" it by wiping out my entire pairing configuration. It took several calls/chats until I finally got someone who understood how to configure a CableCARD. Anyway, it's all working again.

Sadly, the Intel NIC performs slightly worse than the Realtek on my MB in terms of DPCs/Interrupts when recording 4 channels simultaneously. I suppose it is just a fact of life since the Ceton communicates via the network. It isn't killing me, since I still have plenty of CPU and seldom use this PC for anything else. I guess I'm just a tweaker (as most of us probably are) and wanted to weed out any inefficient CPU use.

Here are the details:
http://hoocanhelp.com/htpc/perf/cpu_...omparison.html

Oh, and as promised, here is a comparison of various RAID0 configurations I tried. I was paranoid about I/O bottlenecks, so I tried a pair of SSDs. They are still way too expensive per GB for my tastes, and I chose a 4x500GB SATA configuration instead. I/O is not a problem so far :-)

http://hoocanhelp.com/htpc/perf/raid0_comparison.html
4x1.5TB RAID5 | eSATA Promise DS4600: 4.1 TB Archived recordings, DVD rips & other media, backups

Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerw View Post
babgvant won't be able to do a build right away so he has given me the green light to attach a new sagemctuner.zip with my build of his changes to SBEConvert. The rest of the files in the .zip are unchanged from his package available at the link mentioned earlier. If you already have this service installed then simply stop it, copy the new SBEConvert.exe over the existing one and restart it. , Support questions should still go to babgvant. I only built the exe Enjoy!
I copied SBEConvert over, but it kept giving me an error when I started it. I had to install .NET 4.0.30319 and now it works. Not sure if it auto deletes yet. I'll let you know.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Sage Icon

SageDCT is public. For those in the private beta, this rev contains updates not in the last private release.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Sage User

SageDCT with Extender?

Great work, Andy! Thank you.

With regard to "known issue #1 - video streams not recognized," does the fix work for the extenders now?

(Sorry I haven't had time to test it yet, but I've been sidetracked by testing three potential Drobo replacements. There can be only one! The other two will go back to Amazon while the Drobo is bound for eBay.)

Very best regards and thanks again. I still think Ceton owes you money -- I wouldn't have bought their card without SageMCTuner/SageDCT!
4x1.5TB RAID5 | eSATA Promise DS4600: 4.1 TB Archived recordings, DVD rips & other media, backups

Old 02-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason531 View Post
With regard to "known issue #1 - video streams not recognized," does the fix work for the extenders now?
The files I've tested have worked on the HD300, if you have issues with the updated rev LMK it's very likely that more changes will be required.

I rewrote the class that writes the TS packets, which should help with some of the playback issues.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Sage Icon

very nice work. Were you also working on (at one time) a program were WMC recorded the show and you took out of their encrypted file and converted it to a sagetv format unencrypted?
Server: HP AMD64 dual core running Win7 64bit (MCE disabled) with 4G memory Tuners: 2 PVR-500(disabled), 3 HDHR and 1 HDPVR Clients: 2 HD200 and 1 HD100 TV: 70" and 52" and 42" Media Storage: ReadyNas 8TB Recording media: 300GB + 200GB+ 250 GB Network: Gigabit backbone'

Thanks to all the developers who work on SageMC, code, utilities and plug-ins to make SageTV better!!!