SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Plex in a TV? What about sage?

Just saw this at tech crunch:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/03/ple...oth-companies/

With GoogleTv and now plex, is this a sign of things to come? Any chance we could see sage built into tv's?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc View Post
Just saw this at tech crunch:
http://techcrunch.com/2010/09/03/ple...oth-companies/

With GoogleTv and now plex, is this a sign of things to come? Any chance we could see sage built into tv's?
If sage created an android placeshifter... then we could them in every GoogleTV
Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
If sage created an android placeshifter... then we could them in every GoogleTV
Hopefully Sage will do a full Google TV client app and an Android placeshifter optimized for mobile.

Some new GoogleTV footage has hit the web over the last couple of days and it really does look fantastic.

GoogleTV companion box - Logitech Revue: Hands-On Impressions

GoogleTV integrated w/ Sony HDTV
Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 AM
SageTVaholic

I am sorry I must be missing something besides some of the nice apps that google tv has I don't get it...That reviewer kept talking about the what's on tv feature but sagetv and many other htpc software already do this. I guess it it more htpc for the main stream. But I don't understand how it is a pvr and records things? does it do hdtv?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I've seen a couple GoogleTV demo videos and I totally don't get it. I don't see how it's even in the same ballpark as Sage.

Plex is more interesting, but it remains to be seen how much LG cripples it.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Sage Expert

If GoogleTV has Netflix, Hulu, etc., I could see where adding a SageTV app that allows GoogleTV to work with SageTV recordings would be useful.

For some, Playon just doesn't cut it. SageTV's lack of native support for Netflix and the like can be a big issue. GoogleTV may provide a graceful way to work-around this issue -- if someone makes the glue.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yeah, I've seen a couple GoogleTV demo videos and I totally don't get it. I don't see how it's even in the same ballpark as Sage.

Plex is more interesting, but it remains to be seen how much LG cripples it.
I don't think that GoogleTV and Sage are in the same ballpark, but they would compliment each other.

Ie, if there were a SageTV placeshifter for google tv, then you'd have all the power of sagetv, combined with the power of google tv. Where googletv coule become a competitor to sagetv is if it starts to form relationships with dish/sat STB providers. I think they already have a relationship with Dish.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Ie, if there were a SageTV placeshifter for google tv, then you'd have all the power of sagetv, combined with the power of google tv.
Exactly. For those of us that have been down the road of full PC clients, have moved to extenders and don't want to look back, GoogleTV + SageTV app would be like the HD300 on steroids.

In fact, when GoogleTV goes open-source in early 2011, I'm a big proponent of Sage looking at moving to the platform for the HD400 and future extenders. Similarly, I would expect many c.e. manufacturers to adopt GoogleTV for their tv's & blu-ray players, much like migration going on to Android in the smartphone realm.

GoogleTV represents a huge opportunity for Sage to expand their reach.

Quote:
Where googletv coule become a competitor to sagetv is if it starts to form relationships with dish/sat STB providers. I think they already have a relationship with Dish.
Yep, GoogleTV is going to be able to talk to Dish dvr's over the network for scheduling/playing recordings. However, I see this as a possible boon to Sage. Depending on the api's available, this could be a roundabout way of getting premium satellite content in Sage. It would be restricted in the way that the recordings would "live" on the satellite dvr, but another option is good imo. Calling it complimentary hits the nail on the head.

Last edited by jm9843; 09-05-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, I don't see much draw in GoogleTV itself, other than a gimmick.. but, if that gimmick gets the tv manufacturers to start installing the GoogleTV capable hardware in the sets, it would hopefully not be a horrible task to make a SageTV app for it. About the only way to get a smaller footprint than the HD300 is to simply put the HD300 IN the tv.. ;-)

Still, I'm betting there won't be any of the HDAudio capabilities in these. I don't see sets on the horizon with HDMI outputs on them to send HD Audio to the receiver. So, the GoogleTV extender wouldn't necessarily be on par with the HD300/whatever, but it's already there, would do most things good enough, and, more importantly, could eb available in the GoogeTV Market.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 09-05-2010, 04:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Yeah, I don't see much draw in GoogleTV itself, other than a gimmick.. but, if that gimmick gets the tv manufacturers to start installing the GoogleTV capable hardware in the sets, it would hopefully not be a horrible task to make a SageTV app for it.
Yeah, I was watching the video of GoogleTV "integrated" on a Dish Network box and it was depressing to watch.