SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Sage Expert

Multiple HD Extenders in one room

I recently converted my garage into a media room. Previously I had the media room above the garage, but the converted room is a lot bigger and a lot more convenient.

Because it's bigger, I'm able to have my projector and my TV both in the room. Unfortunately, I don't have a super flat TV to hang on the wall behind the projector screen, so I've got my TV off to the side on another wall.
So I've got my new HD300 connected to the projector and my old HD100 connected to the TV.

And of course one remote controls both, whether I like it or not.

I could see accidentally deleting recordings or creating new favorites or all kinds of funky things if I'm not careful. I'm not sure if there's an elegant solution to having two extenders in the same room.
Anyone else deal with this or have any ideas?

My projector is a sharp mkii 12000. My TV is a rear projection Toshiba. Both are 720p and both only have component inputs (no HDMI).
One idea I have is to only use the new HD300 and get one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 but I'm worried about splitting the signal too much. I'm going through a component switch already. I'd probably put this after the component switch and that way be able to run everything (xbox 360, directv dvr, sage) through either the TV or projector.

That's not a perfect solution as I'd probably need to use my receiver for audio to watch TV (and while that's preferred, the placement of the speakers in relation to the TV would be awkward - all the speakers are to the left left of the TV).

Just looking for any possible better ideas.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 AM
SageTVaholic

My question is, what are you trying to do?

Do you want to be able to watch 2 things at once or just watch the same thing on both?

If you want to watch the same thing on both, then you really need to go with a splitter (or I recommend a distribution amp).

If you want to be able to watch different things, then you can do what I did: use an old hauppauge remote (the IR commands are already pre-programmed into Sage Extenders), unlearn the IR commands for the "normal" sage remote with one, and unlearn the IR commands for the Hauppauge remote on the other....

The only caveat to option 2, is that it appears the select command can not be unlearned so just get used to using "play" if you used select previously....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
My question is, what are you trying to do?

Do you want to be able to watch 2 things at once or just watch the same thing on both?

If you want to watch the same thing on both, then you really need to go with a splitter (or I recommend a distribution amp).

If you want to be able to watch different things, then you can do what I did: use an old hauppauge remote (the IR commands are already pre-programmed into Sage Extenders), unlearn the IR commands for the "normal" sage remote with one, and unlearn the IR commands for the Hauppauge remote on the other....

The only caveat to option 2, is that it appears the select command can not be unlearned so just get used to using "play" if you used select previously....

I don't ever need to watch different things. I'm only trying to be able to watch either the TV or projector at different times. Sounds like a splitter is what I'll try first and maybe a distribution amp if it proves necessary.

thanks
Old 09-20-2010, 10:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrew View Post
I don't ever need to watch different things. I'm only trying to be able to watch either the TV or projector at different times. Sounds like a splitter is what I'll try first and maybe a distribution amp if it proves necessary.

thanks
Yes then go that route. You will never get perfectly synced audio/video if you try to use two separate extenders....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 09-20-2010, 10:53 AM
SageTVaholic

You could learn different commands (remote) on one of them, but you'd need a different remote for one of them. I think the easiest thing is a component splitter.

The Sharp should have DVI I think. You could use an HDMI->DVI-D cable (or adapter) for the projectors.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Sage User

Or, if you're cheap like me, you can just block the IR sensor of the one you don't want to use. A deck of cards, or some other obstacle could block the sensor from receiving the IR signal from the remote.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Yes then go that route. You will never get perfectly synced audio/video if you try to use two separate extenders....
That would never be an issue - they'd never be on at the same time. one extender would be easier.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
You could learn different commands (remote) on one of them, but you'd need a different remote for one of them. I think the easiest thing is a component splitter.

The Sharp should have DVI I think. You could use an HDMI->DVI-D cable (or adapter) for the projectors.
The Sharp has DVI, but the picture quality is significantly better via component. I've tried to calibrate the DVI input to no avail.

Unfortunately, I also don't have an HDMI cable run to my projector. I will eventually do that when I get a new projector, but the quality of this sharp is still awesome so I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

The TV does have DVI as well. Will the HD300 output HDMI & component simultaneously?
Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirin View Post
Or, if you're cheap like me, you can just block the IR sensor of the one you don't want to use. A deck of cards, or some other obstacle could block the sensor from receiving the IR signal from the remote.
I went that route last night, but I'm looking for something a tad more elegant.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I forgot about that.

I do have harmony remote. I may have to play around with this. I'm still gonna find a way to split the HD300, but this might be a good fallback solution as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not sure if you are still working on this, but I thought I would add, I have extenders in different parts of the house, but I use the same model ofuniversal remote (with rf base stations) in both spots. As such both remotes “talk” to both base stations.

I have manually deleted all the “default” remote inputs from one of the extenders and then manually “learned” a different set of inputs to that extender. As a result, either remote can independently control either extender based on which set of codes they send out.

The only issue I have left to sort out is to keep both extenders from turning on or off when I only want to turn one on (or off) as I do not think you can re-task the main “on” and “off” commands.

-Suntan
Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
The only issue I have left to sort out is to keep both extenders from turning on or off when I only want to turn one on (or off) as I do not think you can re-task the main “on” and “off” commands.

-Suntan
I haven't found a way yet nor can I re-task the select command either.....
Old 09-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I haven't found a way yet nor can I re-task the select command either.....
I was able to retask the select key just fine. For on/off, I'll likely just switch to powering on by the "home" key which I can set independently. Then they can just stay on until the server shuts itself down at the end of the night.

-Suntan
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Sage Expert

I've thought about this some more, and it really doesn't make sense to use two extenders in the same room. What really makes sense is my other post here - I need an extra breakout cable (anyone not using theirs wanna sell it to me) for an HD300 and I need an extra power adapter.

The HD300 is so tiny, it's super easy to pick up and move around when necessary, but it'd be a lot easier if I just had to move it and didn't have to disconnect and move all the cables with it.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Sage User

Thanks for bringing this up. My house has everything home ran back to my server room and I was going to add a 2nd extender but then I was wondering how I could prevent the IR commands from changing both of them.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Sage Expert

I might have found the solution for me.
I've got a PC located relatively close to my projector already. It's got all the connections I need on it already. I might just end up using that as my client for my projector and use my HD300 for my TV.

My client PC is a dual core e6600 w/ a 8800GTS card. Should be more than beefy enough. I plan to upgrade it in a few months probably, but it should still play everything I throw at it now anyway.

just need to find the cables to hook it up and it should be ready to go.