SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up HD300 WOL .... MAC address Bug Fixed!

I have my server set for wake on either a Magic Packet or Directed Packet. With a dedicated NIC for my HD100's "Directed Packet" worked great to wake my server when the extenders were turned on. I just replaced the 100's with two HD300's, they work great except at power on they say they are sending WOL packets to the server, but no joy!

A client system can send WOL packet or ping the server via the same NIC and it wakes fine.

I see lots of references here to the WOL feature in the HD300, but I see no comments from anyone that actually has it working. Am I missing something real obvious? I hope so.

Last edited by Graygeek; 09-29-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Sage Icon

I started playing with it late last night but didn't get very far. My issue seems to be the opposite. If the server is asleep the HD300 wakes it just fine but I have to force it to sleep. I'm going to be working on it later tonight again though.

S
Old 09-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Sage User

I am having some issues wih WOL and the HD300. With Wireshark i can see a conversation between the 300 and the sage server. I evesdropped with the sage server off and on. When it boots, the 300 broadcasts a packet looking for aany sage server to respond. When the server responds, it responds with its MAC address and the 300 uses that in future WOL calls.

the problem i have is i have two NICs in the server. The 300 sends out a WOL packt with the wrong Mac address, basically for the nic from the other network, and doesnt wake the server. But this is not the fault of the 300. This is a result of the sage server reporing the wrong mac addr on the correct network.

I have tried forcing the correct mac addresa using the .properties file entry (dont recall it at the moment) but this results in a response packet to the 300 with he correct IP wrong mac for that IP.

I have not found a solution for this.

(sent from my cellphone)

Last edited by Straykat; 09-23-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straykat View Post
the problem i have is i have two NICs in the server. The 300 sends out a WOL packt with the wrong Mac address, basically for the nic from the other network, and doesnt wake the server. But this is not the fault of the 300. This is a result of the sage server reporing the wrong mac addr on the correct network.

(sent from my cellphone)
Looks like that may be my problem also since my 300's are on a different NIC than the one with the IP Sage reports good detective work! Let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same. Thanks for your work so far.

Last edited by Graygeek; 09-23-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Followup: Sorta joy!

Looks like Straykat was spot on. Have multiple NICs in my system and wireshark showed that the HD300 was sending the WOL to a different MAC than the one it was physically on, funny it is not even the NIC that the SAGE info screen reports . After some rearranging to move the HD300's to that NIC, the WOL function worked.

I have submitted a Bug Report to SAGE.

Last edited by Graygeek; 09-25-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Sage Expert

I have a single NIC in my server and I can't get the HD300 to wake it up. Doing a full power on of the HD300 brings up a message saying it is attempting to WOL but the server never wakes. I can wake the server fine using WOL from another computer, or the Tomato firmware on my router.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

Mine seems to wake the server if it is off.

But I seem to be having another issue i have to troubleshoot. My initial guess is that somehow when the server is on, and i start the hd300, it somehow reboots the server. this is just a guess now, but it seems i am never able to turn on the hd300 and get right to the start sceen. Is there any way to turn off the magic packet from the HD300?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sage will be fixing this bug in the next release with an added property, see quote below:

" for the next build (7.0.18) we added a property setting to workaround this. It'll be called "forced_mac_address". And you can set that in the
Sage.properties file to be the MAC address you want it to always return,
then the HD300 would use that for the WOL request.

You should use the same format as what the MAC is listed in when running
'ipconfig /all'."

Thank you for another great, fast response to a bug from the folks at SAGE.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Sage User

Excellent news! Thank you for bug submitting this.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Sage Expert

I noticed the following in the recently released 7.0.18 release notes.

Quote:
1. Added property "forced_mac_address" which can be used to set the MAC address that the server returns for queries which are used for WOL in the HD300. Useful if multiple NICs exist on the server.
I just installed the 7.0.18 beta but I don't see the forced_mac_address property in my sage.properties. Do I need to add it manually? I was expecting the installer to have added it upon installation.
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 10-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LehighBri View Post
I noticed the following in the recently released 7.0.18 release notes.

I just installed the 7.0.18 beta but I don't see the forced_mac_address property in my sage.properties. Do I need to add it manually? I was expecting the installer to have added it upon installation.
Probably. There are many properties that Sage can use that don't have a default, so they don't appear unless you type them in. Just try copying and pasting that line from the release notes into your Sage.properties file (make sure that Sage is completely shut down and the SageTV service is stopped before attempting to edit the properties file.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 10-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Sage Expert

Now I'm confused on what was actually implemented on 7.0.18. I don't think the blurb above paints the full picture of what changed. The situation below previously did NOT work in 7.0.17, but now works fine in 7.0.18 WITHOUT the forced_mac_address parameter set.

1. HD300 connects to SageTV server
2. Somewhere Sage stores the server's MAC address of the NIC used for that specific connection
3. Sage server goes to sleep
4. The next time the HD300 tries to connect via WOL, it looks back at the MAC address stored in step #2 above and uses that for WOL

So did Sage fix this scenario such that it uses the MAC address of the most recent connection for HD300 WOL?
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not from what they rely'ed in the bug report. It should be the same as before unless you setup the "forced_mac_address" property. Then it will use the MAC address defined by that property.

Last edited by Graygeek; 10-01-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Sage User

Question Is the forced_mac_address property not being parsed correctly in 7.0.18?

WOL is still not working for me with forced_mac_address in 7.0.18. First I used WireShark to determine that SageTV was picking up the wrong MAC address. It picked up the MAC address associated with my ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner since Windows installs this with a simulated Ethernet adapter interface and I guess that is the first interface SageTV sees.

Digressing... I'm using SageMCTuner service with Windows 7 for tuning programs marked copy-freely which seems to be pretty much everything with FiOS. Perhaps someday soon we will have native CableCard tuner support. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

So I added the following line to my Sage.properties file (changed for security purposes):

forced_mac_address=6C-F0-48-09-15-9C

A WireShark capture reveals that the HD300 is sending the WOL packet to 00-F0-48-09-15-9C. Sage is not picking up the first two hex digits correctly from the property value but is picking up the rest. I've tried the following too but it exhibits the same behavior:

forced_mac_address=6C\:F0\:48\:09\:15\:9C

Either I'm not using the correct syntax or Sage is not correctly parsing the property value. Has anyone gotten this to work yet?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

As for syntax Sage said: "You should use the same format as what the MAC is listed in when > running 'ipconfig /all'" Looks like you did that.

I did some rearranging of which NIC my extenders are on and got it working with beta .16 ..... that would not help your issue. I was going to load .18 and set the MAC property anyhow, but based on some post of issues with DShowCapture, I'm hesitating. If you could submit a bug report with the details from your post they are very responsive.

Follow up: I looked and all my NICs start with 00 for thier MAC's. If I do a google search I find several sites that will reverse lookup MAC's .... all my NICs MAC's ID'ed the vendor etc. However when I lookup the 6c-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx address in your post I get no match found. Not trying to be a wise guy, but is there any chance your MAC has a typo or is the wrong MAC?

Last edited by Graygeek; 10-02-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Sage User

I sucessfully awakened my PC via a simple Java WOL program using a MAC address starting with 6C. The MAC address came from a Realtek gigabit ethernet adapter integrated into a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard. I'll submit a bug report now regarding the incorrect MAC address parsing. Thanks for confirming the property's format.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerw View Post
I sucessfully awakened my PC via a simple Java WOL program using a MAC address starting with 6C. The MAC address came from a Realtek gigabit ethernet adapter integrated into a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 motherboard. I'll submit a bug report now regarding the incorrect MAC address parsing. Thanks for confirming the property's format.
Excellent, looks like I would have never seen the parsing issue with my setup.

Let us know how you make out with the bug report.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Does this work for any extender or just the HD300? And what versions of SageTV on the beta version? I want my extender to wake up PC/server as well.

-M
Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsm View Post
Does this work for any extender or just the HD300? And what versions of SageTV on the beta version? I want my extender to wake up PC/server as well.

-M
WOL is only inplimented on the HD300, my guess is it only works with Sage7.

By putting HD100's on a dedicated NIC, I was able to set the NIC for "wake on directed packet" and have the same effect. My HD100 would try to connect to the server IP and caused the server to wake. I would assume this would work with HD200's. But, again they need to be on a dedicated NIC since any traffic aimed at the server IP would wake it.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Sage Expert

Sorry for the really dumb question, but if you're using Sage to record TV, wouldn't you have to leave the server awake all the time anyway? Or does it wake up when time to record as well? Thanks.