SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Sage User

Need help configuring HD300 to find network files in standalone mode

OK I've had my HD300 for a day now and have figured out how to log onto the server and view videos in extender mode. But I can't figure out how to get the HD300 to find network video files in standalone (media player) mode. On Advanced Setup / Server I have Windows File Server enabled but I don't know what the correct setup for the other two choices is. Under Windows File Server Workgroup there is a choice of WORKGROUP, MSHOME, and Other and under Other you type something in. I have no idea what to put here. Is there something that needs to be configured on the server to make this work?

Then the last item is Windows File Server with choice of HD300 or type in something. Again I have no idea what to put here or how to get this to work. Is there documentation somewhere on this? I've done some hunting around the forums but so far no joy.

Then under the HD300 Videos icon there is a Network File Browser and the opportunity to type in a network folder path but I don't know enough to know what to type here. Also there are 3 ways to ask it to browse for files but none of the 3 actually find anything. The HD300 manual says it can be used as a "networked media player" which I take to mean play videos from hard drives on the network in standalone mode but I'm scratching my head here as to how to get it to do that.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 AM
SageTVaholic

By default a WIndows PC will usually be in a workgroup called WROKGROUP. WIndows Home Server, by default, will be in a workgroup called MSHOME. Look in the properties of My Computer on your Windows PC to find out what workgroup it is in. This is what you want to enter in the Windows File Server Workgroup setting.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Sage User

Thanks. My machine is on WORKGROUP so I changed it to that. Then under Windows File Server Network Name I changed it to the name of my PC which is PAUL-WIN7 but it wouldn't take it - it says that is an invalid machine name. This is getting frustrating. Also I did some mucking around with file sharing settings for my F drive which is where all my videos are but no luck.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Leave Windows File Server Network Name alone. That's actually the name of the HD300 the Windows network will see if you look in My Network on a Windows machine. I believe after setting the workgroup if you go and try browsing it will ask you for a user name and password. This would be a Windows ID and password from the machine you're trying to browse to.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Sage User

Thanks again. By changing sharing settings on specific folders within my F:\ drive I was able to get the HD300 to see them and play some of them but man it isn't easy and and the UI absolutely sucks. I couldn't figure out how to get movie files to play at all and the listings for recorded TV are very poorly organized. I wanted to play around with this but my conclusion is to stick with using the HD300 strictly as an extender for SageTV which has a much friendlier UI.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm confused, where are your recordings from?
Old 10-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

I too have had a heck of a time with the standalone mode. I was able to see some of my pictures, but they would not completely show. I have no clue how to add a folder under Music, Video, or Photo so I don't have to keep going through the process of clicking to the proper folder each time. I gave up for now on standalone mode hoping there will be a how to coming out soon.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

You don't add them specifically in any location, you browse folders (the network/file system) and use the options command to set directories as import directories and then enable them for Audio, Video, and/or Pictures, and then they're imported and then shown in the respective areas.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I'm confused, where are your recordings from?
I have my videos in several folders on my F:/ drive, e.g. F:/Sage TV Recordings.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 PM
SageTVaholic

If you're running SageTV you should be connecting as an extender and not having to do any of this. You'll have the exact same UI as on your SageTV server.

You're using standalone mode, which is meant for those not running SageTV, and just looking to play "random" media files they've accumulated.