SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 AM

HD300 server detection / WOL

I have just started using SageTV using an HD300 and a small headless Windows Home Server (WHS) with a tuner card running the Sage Server, both on my wired home network. I've worked through most of the issues (EPG for Canada OTA was fun...) thanks to these forums but now I'm stuck with 2 issues I suspect are related.

1. When the HD300 tries to detect servers, none are found. If I manually enter the IP address of my WHS in the server setup on the HD300, though, I am able to connect and things work fine.

2. The HD300 won't wake up my server from sleep. I'm sure it's not a configuration problem with the server since other computers on my network are able to wake the server.

Any trouble shooting suggestions?
Old 10-18-2010, 09:22 PM

Problem solved. I'll put the answer here to hopefully save someone else some time in the future.

Before I bought the HD300, I tested out SageTV using the server software on my WHS and the client software on a desktop. Because I was using the Client software, and not the Placeshifter software or an extender, I had only turned on the "Server" functionality on the WHS, but did not enable the use of a "Placeshifter/Extender" on the server. Of course, I didn't remember this when I excitedly plugged the HD300 in after it arrived...

Without the Placeshifter/Extender option turned on in the server, you can't automatically detect the server with the HD300. You can manually put the server IP address in the HD300 and run it as an extender that way, but "autoconnect" won't work, and neither will "Wake on Lan" (presumably it hasn't detected the server to get the server MAC address for the WOL packet).