SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Sage Icon

Want to buy an HD300 ... BUT ...

Uggggh!!

The "USB Wireless b/g/n Adapter for HD Theater" is not avialable?? I am not going to buy the HD300 without it. This is my first HDx00, so anyone know how long should I expect to wait for the Wireless Adapter to show up?? I noticed it was unavailble 2 weeks ago and not sure how much longer before that it was unavailable.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Well with it getting near Xmas I would sure hate to be the one waiting for the wireless adapter and have the HD300 run out of stock. By the same token I would recommend a wired connection to a HD300 knowing how erractic a wirelss connection COULD be. Especially if you're playing HD.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Well with it getting near Xmas I would sure hate to be the one waiting for the wireless adapter and have the HD300 run out of stock. By the same token I would recommend a wired connection to a HD300 knowing how erractic a wirelss connection COULD be. Especially if you're playing HD.

Gerry

You do bring up a good point about ending up with an HD300.

The bummer is this room in my house has no Cat5. :/

In have Wireless N in my house, but you make me worry a bit. I have some of those Ethernet power plug things I haven't tried yet. Would that be better? If so, I could save on the adapter too.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

What are you intending to stream to it and from where? What type of powerplugs are they? Normal (85Mbps) or AV (200Mbps)

The Normal ones might struggle with bluray rips, but should be fine for everything else, the AV ones should be fine with bluray as well.

I used to use the powerplugs 85Mbps powerplugs and normal 54G wireless fine for internet and dvd streaming.

You could order the HD300, it'll certainly work with the powerplugs and don't forget you can plug a h/drive or usb stick into it, so it won't be useless without the wireless adapter.

See how the homeplugs go and if you still want the Wireless adapter, get it when it comes into stock.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post

Gerry
+1

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 12-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelbert View Post
What are you intending to stream to it and from where? What type of powerplugs are they? Normal (85Mbps) or AV (200Mbps)

The Normal ones might struggle with bluray rips, but should be fine for everything else, the AV ones should be fine with bluray as well.

I used to use the powerplugs 85Mbps powerplugs and normal 54G wireless fine for internet and dvd streaming.

You could order the HD300, it'll certainly work with the powerplugs and don't forget you can plug a h/drive or usb stick into it, so it won't be useless without the wireless adapter.

See how the homeplugs go and if you still want the Wireless adapter, get it when it comes into stock.

Right now I am only looking to stream SD time shifting TV, watch online Internet, music and pics. No blu-Ray or HD TV.

My homeplugs are the 200's ...
Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 AM
SageTVaholic

if they're just sitting there, I'd use them. They're bound to be better than wifi in just about every situation.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyt View Post
My homeplugs are the 200's ...
Should have no problems at all with the homeplugs then, unless you have some creative power wiring in the house.

I'd place the order, use the homeplugs and then if you still want wifi get the adapter later when it's available.

With 200s you should get Blu-Ray and certainly HD-TV across them when/if you decided to.