SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Sage User

Rotation of pictures - or lack of the same

Hi,

My HD300 show my pictures in a strange rotating format.....

When I copy pictures from my camera, I always rotate them manually, so they have the right orientation. Every program I have ever used to present the pictures (on either Windows or Mac) has shown them correct.

But my HD300 in Extender-mode shows all the pictures I have manually rotated in the wrong direction. I have tried to enable and disable auto-rotation, but I does not make any difference.

Any Ideas?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 AM
Sage Icon

I too have had a lot of issues:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51494

What I've determined is to leave them alone from your camera when you upload them to your server. Do not rotate them manually. The auto rotate will correct them. Additionally, I've found that in most photo collection software they are auto rotated too. I've been using Picassa and it shows all my rotated photos properly even though when I look at them in say windows explorer they are rotated.

What I had to do was use the software that I listed in the thread above and track down the ones that I rotated manually before figuring this out. Then I deleted the exif data corresponding to the rotation information.

Grab copies of some of your known problem pics and move the rest of your pics outside your import directory. You don't want to mess up all your photos and you don't want to have to wait minutes between each successive re-scan to see if you've hit the correct fields. I just nuked the the fields that were causing the problems, I suppose you could edit the fields to read correctly too, I just went through and zapped it and then Sage would auto rotate them fine.

The problem is that when you rotate with windows built in editor it doesn't update the exif data. Even the lossloss rotater that I posted doesn't update the meta data properly... But it works well after you've gotten rid of the suspect meta entries.

I'm sure there are other or better ways to do this but it worked for the ones I mucked with originally, and now as long as I leave the photos alone Sage and other sources read and adjust the photos without manual intervention.