SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

PVR 250 ... too hot!?!?

HIya..

I've asked on SHS's forum but thought i'd try here too..

I am a little concerned about my 250 card,... its just so hot... even when not recording... the thing is the actual PCB board itself is too hot to touch.. never seen that in a card before...

I've just done some jiggling to get my 250 in a PCI slot with its own IRQ... in doing this i looked at the card, it'd been off for only a few wminutes... was still very hot to touch... but also the board again felt hotter than the fins of the heatsink !!! its almost as if off to the side is where its hotter...

Finally i spotted a 1cmx1cm square of what looked like solder... nothing else near it as such... it looked a bit leaky... i touched it and it was indeed slightly sticky...

Could you who have a 250 just check your card for something similar... are everyone elses cards RED RED hot on even just the board?!?! anyone else have this silver square that may look leaky?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:30 PM
Sage

I've setup about a dozen of instances of this card in about a half dozen different machines personally, and I've never had it that hot. Sometimes the heatsink would get pretty hot, but it wasn't dangerously hot. You should return your hardware and get a new one. Something is physically wrong with your card or with your PC.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:34 PM
Sage

Unless you're an overclocker....then I'd blame that.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:04 AM
Sage Aficionado

no overclocking
Old 05-16-2003, 02:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

so even on a machine constantly on and recording for a few days the actual board has never gotten THAT hot before on yours...

I will phone hauppauge today... tonight will put it in another machine.. the problem at the moment as i mentioned occurs without even being used.. just plugged in is enough to bake it... if it happens on the other machine too and even if not i'll take it back to be swopped tomorrow... Thanks
Old 05-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ok .... crap!!!!

I've just had my new PVR-250 card in my machine for a little while... its been recording for an hour probably... the card itself is VERY hot again I dont know what to do now... I would really appreciate it if people could test their cards again.. just simply touching them quickly after a powerdown, or whilst on (just the back side of them.. the PCB none of the connections... If i had a thermometer that would work i'd give it a try... but it is almost too hot to keep touching... same as before...

I did try the older hot card in another machine for a while and it too was very hot... i never did any encoding just turned the machine on... but it was hot... are other peoples actual cards hot at all... maybe these cards do just run this hot.. I'll be phoning hauppauge next week, i fear they wont be able to help all that much...

Cheers

Jim
Old 05-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sounds like it is your motherboard - not the PVR-250...

Are they both the same? Can't see why only you would see two hot PVR-250s in two different MBs. What's common between the two?
Old 05-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

I tried the old card in a 2nd machine for 10 minutes.. it was getting hot too... I may try this card in a 3rd machine... my brothers and see how that is...

My motherboard is the Asus A7V333 everything else is fine in it.. none of my other cards are hot... I've tried that tv card in various slots on my main machine too...

I tried putting a thermometer on it today to get an idea.. it was a house thermometer tho so couldn't really measure it properly.. its nearly too hot right now and not even in use (not got PVR installed properly in this install of win2k)

Some people over on SHSpvr are saying theres are hot.. its just how hot is too hot... i am getting some pictures of my 2 cards on my machine now.. will upload them so people can have a look.. be nice to find out what version of the card i have right now....

This thread

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

The picture of SHS's 350... has on the right side the same silver square that my last one had (think that was a rev2, and my new one is a rev1.. great going backwards and you can see on his picture probably better on mine the kind of bubbling yellow goo around it... this was the square that when touched (card switched off) on mine was slightly sticky...

I'll get these images in and post on SHSpvrs forum... i'll shout the link out on here if anyone is interested... its just the hardware thats holding me back with Sage at the moment.. my family have now realised how hot the card is and are uncomfortable with me keeping the machine on all the time.. which kind of undermines the whole point of me having the pVR

My long term plan is getting the card in a fanless hush PC with epia motherboard... so if it is a motherboard incompatability then maybe it'll be ok in that and then everything will be fine.. at the moment with the heat its got i'm not sure of putting it in a fanless machine thats enclosed when its this hot in a full tower case thats completely open at the moment...

Old 05-17-2003, 04:37 PM

jimbobuk you think the PVR get boy you try and old nVidia TnT or one before that I think it was Riva or something like that now there card that get SUPER HOT I know it in my server PC oh she run 24/7 has been for 3yrs now.
Old 05-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Sage Aficionado

Heh.. thanks SHS... I had a TNT2 Ultra, generally i dont go round feeling my PC cards

If most peoples cards were getting this hot then ok.. its that others seem to have almost cool cards :/

I've got some pictures up on that thread of both my cards

http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15060#15060

Including ones of the area of solder that i took the 1st card back for as it was a little sticky... Looking at the board IDs in these pictures i now know that i've gone from a rev2 board back down to rev1 board... I really like the idea of this latest board without heatsink.. and will be contacting hauppauge on Monday about general board heat and trying to find out where i can get new stock rather than 2 year old PC World stock (ok 2 years may be an exageration
Old 05-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Sage User

Just happened to reading your post and checked out my PVR cards (one PVR-250 & one PVR-350), both are very hot as you have been describing. I am only able to leave my fingers on the back of the boards for a second or two. I have had the 350 up and running since Feb without problems, I just purchased and installed the 250 a week ago and have not had any problems with it either.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks hamptonhills.. nice to know at least someone else has a VERY hot setup....

what hardware have you got!? motherboard, CPU etc... maybe we can find a common link
Old 05-20-2003, 03:41 PM
Sage User

I have a P3 500 Tekram P6B40-A4X-i440BX Mobo 512 MB Matrox G400 dualhead video
Old 05-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

hmm quite far away from my setup

I dont know whats causing it... over stressed PSU?? electricity socket supplying the PC... really not sure at all unfortunately

hamptonhills doesn't it bother u that your cards are that hot, if you leave them on all the time in your house alone...!??
Old 05-21-2003, 05:29 PM
Sage Icon

Depends on how hot it really is... What you described earlier doesn't necessarily get me too worried.

I would be curious what the design temperature is for the card (and the other components near it that get hot) versus the actual running temperature - that is all that really matters.

If you ever put you fingers on some of the old fanless 286 CPU's then you'd know hot. Or some of the first IBM RS/6000's, still have a scar from a burn I got from one of those, and that was the normal operating temperature...

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbobuk
hmm quite far away from my setup

I dont know whats causing it... over stressed PSU?? electricity socket supplying the PC... really not sure at all unfortunately

hamptonhills doesn't it bother u that your cards are that hot, if you leave them on all the time in your house alone...!??
Old 05-22-2003, 01:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Have you tried various methods of air-flow around the PC?

You might have a 'dead spot' where the air is going round in a circle and is not cooling the card.

My PC runs cool now since I blocked all the air holes up and only left the ones at the very bottom at the front of the PC and the PSU fan at the top - back open. Before that, I did have my pc crash due to over-heating as I had a dead spot.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

my side of my case is completely off.. i have a fan right on the tv card at the moment.. only way to put it at a temperature i am happy with...

I know things can get hot hampton but hauppauge have told me that it shouldn't be THAT hot... still agreed operating specs would be nice
Old 05-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

> my side of my case is completely off..

Typically a "bad thing" for cooling matters...

> i have a fan right on the tv card at the moment..

Not very convenient :-(

But this does beg the question. Is, perhaps, Heisenberg getting you?
I mean - how, exactly, did you determine that your PVR-250 was getting
hot w/out taking off the case cover? It may very well be that, when
properly enclosed, your case provides ample cooling for the PVR-250.

Or did you have some temperature sensor affixed to the PVR-250 which
enabled such measurements while the case cover was on (doesn't sound
like it from your "hot to the touch" explainations)?
Old 05-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

no nothing THAT advanced... I always found that CPU temp got higher with case closed.. I'm fighting a losing battle of trying to get a quiet PC with a high-ish speed AMD cpu in it... i have only the CPU fan in my case... only the added heat of tv card and the worries have led me to using my panaflo to cool the tv card... its pretty damn quiet to be honest.. really recommend them to those who want quiet fans... 80mm i think... really good... properly mounted at full speed its near silent.. as mine is resting on the case floor i get more vibrations but the fan noise and wind noise itself is nothing on top of PSU (which is a quietpc.com one, one of the quietest you can get).. and my seagate barracuda IV drives are also the quietest hdd you can get

I will be putting the card in a 2nd machine to see how it copes in there, and discover how the networking stuff works..

I have had my case side off for months now, before having the tv card... just so i can tweak my CPU fan speed (using zalman fanmate) and also as its cooler that way at the CPU..

Thanks... some day i must really build a new fan-ed up PC but whilst its sharing the room with my bed its not going to happen
Old 05-23-2003, 02:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

> I always found that CPU temp got higher with case closed..
> i have only the CPU fan in my case...
> I have had my case side off for months now, before having the tv card..

Umm - big red flag here... I think you've just revealed the source of your
problem. Without airflow, a crowded PCI Bus provides totally inadequate cooling for the cards like this. Adding passive Heat Sinks won't help a bit until/unless you increase the air flow. As it stands now, the only air flow you are likely getting is entirely due to the heat source (hot air rises and all that).

I suspect you've been okay running w/out a case side on because the CPU has it's own fan - drawing air across it - and that fan was likely causing just enough air flow across other heat-generating components.