SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

Comcast, Xfinity and so long Firewire

This may not be the right forum to post in, so feel free to move if appropriate.

I normally don't pay a lot of attention to the Comcast announcements, other than to prepare myself for chasing the channel lineups as they play whack-a-mole with the freqs. I didn't expect a lot from their XFINITY rollout - perhaps the possibility for them to introduce a new logo.

Last night I received the latest upgrade from Comcast. All of sudden I can't get my firewire channel changes to work. I monkey with the drivers to see if I can isolate what went wrong. Finally I get the bright idea to bring up the SA3250HD configuration pages and find that the 1394 port is disabled. A pain in the a$$ to get here, but I'm sure a quick call to tech support can get it turned back on.

I get the never-ending run around in the call center. Eventually I get it escalated to someone who actually knows what Firewire is and acknowledges that the 1394 port does in fact exist on the STB. When I ask to get it re-enabled, I'm told that the feature was never offered, never supported and that they no longer respond to it.

I was not a happy camper

Does anyone know where I can find info to locally enable the Firewaire port? And if you're in Houston and using Firewire channel changing, be ready.
Extenders: 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-300 on Atlona PRO3HD66m
Sage: V9.0.14.567 with OpenDCT on unRaid docker, Gemstone, BMT, Web UI, PlayOn, TiSage
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 PM
SageTVaholic

You may just try and swing by Comcast and swap our your cable box before you panic too much.

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

I hear you. When I had a prior 3250HD go bad, the replacement did not have 1394 enabled. I took it back and got the current one I have lived with for a couple of years now. I've heard on other boards that Scientific Atlanta had a number of boxes where the ports were not terminated (as opposed to firmware activation).

My concern this time is the statement from the rep that the Xfinity rollout will continue to all boxes, that firewire support is expressly disabled, that it was never intended as an offering, no support, no backout, no way out.

I'm roaching through the boards now to see if there is some local configuration option that can get me back.

Or maybe this is the universe telling me to get the CETON:-)
Sage: V9.0.14.567 with OpenDCT on unRaid docker, Gemstone, BMT, Web UI, PlayOn, TiSage
Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Sage User

Has anything been said about Sage officially supporting cable card? I think the cable companies are writing on the wall, if you know what I mean.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

There's SageMCTuner and SageDCT that show promise. I would love to see what the SiliconDust Prime could do.

Difficult for me to see what advantage the Cable companies get by deactivatiing Firewire. While I understand the DRM paranoia, there was not much use for more than channel changing. Just another reason to let Direct, Dish or Uverse in the house. Sure wish FIOS was around here.

Even cable card would lose them the rental of the STB. Dumb.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:02 PM
Sage Icon

At one time the cable co's were required by law to provide FW if asked for it. There were even posts here that cited the exact FCC regulation. I remember because I used it to get Cox to provide FW ports on my boxes.

Did that change?

S

Last edited by sleonard; 05-24-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Sage User

This just happened to me today, comcast in Forsyth, Georgia. Update to cable box completely disabled firewire channel changing. I can still record via firewire, but no channel changing. No matter what I try .. channel.exe with all permutations and even tried SageChanger

This is not nice ... not sure where I'll find a USB-UIRT in one day
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Cable Co. actually knew what firewire is?!?!?

I have had the firewire (1394) ports turned off by the Cable Co. before.

If an IEEE 1394 exists on a cable box it is suppose to be enabled and available for the the consumer to use. (this doesn't mean they can't 5C anyone though.)

When I explained the problem with the 1394 port being turned off I was met with a blank stare (Huh, what is a firewire/1394 port? never heard of it.)

Eventually, after escalating the issue, and still without admitting that they knew what firewire/1394 was, it was recommended that I exchange the STB for another one.

By the way, have you checked the output from "channel -v" to verify nothing has changed?
If your using channel or channelw for channel changing you can alternately use the "-n" option with the MAC address of the STB.
Using the MAC address should work even if the enumeration of the STB changes.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
At one time the cable co's were required by law to provide FW if asked for it. There were even posts here that cited the exact FCC regulation. I remember because I used it to get Cox to provide FW ports on my boxes.
This post points to the FCC rule that you're referring to. However, it's 2 years old and I don't know f anything has changed since then.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Sage Icon

Good find. I can't say for sure if that FCC rule is still valid but I think I would have heard something around here or AVS if it had changed.

If I was the OP I'd call up the cableco and cite this rule and tell them 'sorry, but you're required by law to support the firewire port.'

S
Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Sage User

I am trying to reason with comcast ... as expected ... not really getting anywhere. I'll keep on trying.

I tried all the things mentioned above ... channel -v ... everything is as it was before. The firewire ports seem active but the box doesn't respond to the commands although channel.exe returns that it worked.

I am not the only one seeing this, mythtv users in texas has also seen this in the last 2 months. It seems the new xfinity update is messing up the firewire ports.

I also tried channel -n, same effect. Now I have to wait a week for a USB-UIRT to arrive .. not easy to record with 2 tuners and no channel changing
Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
SageTVaholic

What model cable box do you have?

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 05-26-2011, 04:43 AM
SageTVaholic

I am 90% percent positive the FireWire law is still valid. Avsforums would have blown up if it changed because of the dvhs users over there.

I find usually a escalated call and a threat to file a compliant with the FCC does the trick. Simply make sure you have a higher up and manager. Ask for their name because you will be filing a compliant with their name mentioned about them violating said law. Read the law to them if they still refuse do exactly what you said and file a FCC complaint online. It takes a month or so but once the FCC gets to your case you will be amazed how fast the cable company gets you a box with FireWire working.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Started the complanit process as suggested by the Firewire forum about two weeks ago. Comcast actually rolled a tech to come out and verify my issue (poor guy). I'm not actually recording via Firewire, so the 5C isn't as much an issue, but I did use it for channel changing. I've dug out my old USB-UIRT and its working well, just no feedback. Which brings up the next issue in the Houston area Xfinity rollout......

Since the first day of the "upgrade", I have lost 639 (TCM), 659 (Comedy Central), 667 (truTV) and 668 (MSNBC). It has been a total Charlie Foxtrot in navigating the exponentially increasing levels of incompetence/indifference in trying to resolve the issue. They have rolled a tech twice (who continues to verify no equipment/line issues) who have both admitted it's probably a local programming issue. They claim they will submit a problem ticket through their own channels, but so far it has been ineffective.

Oh the joys of being a monopoly.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumak View Post
This post points to the FCC rule that you're referring to. However, it's 2 years old and I don't know f anything has changed since then.
Call/email the FCC and ask them?

Also let them know that Comcast is saying they don't need to support it anymore and you're wanting to verify that what they're saying is the case.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
Call/email the FCC and ask them?

Also let them know that Comcast is saying they don't need to support it anymore and you're wanting to verify that what they're saying is the case.
FCC - deaf ear.
County or City office that grants easements and controls the quasi-monopoly... they respond if enough formal complaints are received, people on speakers' agenda at Council meetings, etc.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 AM
Sage Expert

I have nothing to add other than to wish you good luck as I think I have woken up in cold sweats fearing this happening to me.

I would also suggest that you should also probably go contact local county/city regulators as well as FCC. I have a feeling that if the FCC gets enough complaints from comcast subscribers, this will just get fixed.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't have Comcast but during a recent switch to Insight Cable, I had issues at the call center as well (not related to firewire). I asked for the name of someone in the office of the president who handles complaints and reached out to them via email. I can honestly say that the next day they were very energized to make sure I was a happy camper.

Give this a try: http://consumerist.com/2007/05/conta...casts-ceo.html

B
Old 06-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

i got whacked by the rolling crapout last week and have also lost the ability to channel change with firewire after more than 3 wonderful years of doing just that.

with the ceton card down to 250 bux in a few places now i'm tempted to go to the dark side and use win 7 mc since i have no desire to use satellite or have to channel change with something other than firewire.

not a happy camper at all.... friggin comcast.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Sage Icon

Can't use IR (USB-UIRT) for channel-changing?