SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 05-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

Question Service with DirecTV?

Hi, I am currently out of the SageTV service area, but within Zap2it's area. The main question that I have is: How does SageTV work with DirecTV (specifically, the listings)? I have not purchased a box or service yet, so I'd like to do my research on Sage now before I buy.

I know this isn't the spot for it, but I like more detail on how Sage works with a DirecTV box in general. Does it communicate through the lowspeed data port, or do you have to get one of those IR transmitters to change channels? Also, would a PVR with multiple tuners be useless with DirecTV unless you had more than one box hooked up to it?

Thanks, I'll post my other questions in the right forum...
Old 05-18-2003, 09:06 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

KJake,

We support the national lineup for DirecTV so you may be covered under the Service we currently offer. The only channel lineups you may not receive would be your local channels. But you could always choose the closest local channel lineups and remap to your specific channel number.

That said, you can control a DirecTV receiver two ways. You can use the Event Plugin through a Serial Cable. The appropriate DLL file is available on our website. You can also use an Actisys IR-200L which we sell through our online store.

If you installed multiple tuners and wanted to recorde multiple satellite feeds you would need two receivers.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:48 AM
Sage Icon

The closest local lineup would be Detroit, MI. It is still in the same Time Zone, about 2.5hrs away. How would I be able to tell if I am covered for DirecTV listings?
Old 05-18-2003, 12:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Everyone in the country is covered under the Directv and Dish Network national listings. Plus, you can make yourself be covered for local channels (if your local channels are available on Directv) by remapping channel numbers in SageTV. Once that's done, you'd be all set to go. And yes, you'd have to have multiple directv tuners to use with multiple capture cards because you can't have multple sources coming through 1 directv box. That's the limitation with satellite - you can't just split the signal as many times as you want like you can with cable.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Sage Icon

Great, thanks for the answers, this is sounding really cool. Now I just have to get DirecTV!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:22 PM
Sage Icon

Hey, next question about this...if I'm covered under Directv, where are the listings coming from? Is SageTV getting info from the Directv box through the low speed data port? or does the $5/mo service cover getting the listings for Directv including local channels?

BTW, I'm probably ordering Directv in the next week, then SageTV soon after. I've been using Sage 1.2.8 trial today as an MP3 player, and already I'm impressed. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2003, 08:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Guide info comes from Zap2it for all sources.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:45 AM

Beware that min of Clone DirecTV box's don't have a low speed data port nor a com port, most of RCA DirecTV box's do.