SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have read through this thread and I might be misinterpreting some posts, but if I want PLEX to pull in all of my Sage-recorded shows, do I need this plugin?

I read the few posts about changing the setting so that file names can contain spaces. If I change that setting, can I just point PLEX to the directory and it will find the metadata and play the shows, etc., without the plugin?

I don't mind installing the plugin at all, but I figure if I can do things with less, I have eliminated another point of failure. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb View Post
I have read through this thread and I might be misinterpreting some posts, but if I want PLEX to pull in all of my Sage-recorded shows, do I need this plugin?

I read the few posts about changing the setting so that file names can contain spaces. If I change that setting, can I just point PLEX to the directory and it will find the metadata and play the shows, etc., without the plugin?

I don't mind installing the plugin at all, but I figure if I can do things with less, I have eliminated another point of failure. Thanks.
I've been using it this way for awhile and it mostly works. The only thing that won't work is anything for which Plex has issues finding the metadata for. For example, the EPG has a show listed with missing season/episode numbers and the file name therefore doesn't have that - Plex will ignore the file. I find that that's pretty rare, but it does happen. Just know that plex will ignore anything it can't find metadata for.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf77 View Post
I've been using it this way for awhile and it mostly works. The only thing that won't work is anything for which Plex has issues finding the metadata for. For example, the EPG has a show listed with missing season/episode numbers and the file name therefore doesn't have that - Plex will ignore the file. I find that that's pretty rare, but it does happen. Just know that plex will ignore anything it can't find metadata for.
Thanks for the answer. It has been awhile since I played with PLEX. There is a way for me to "help" it find metadata for those rare situations, though, right?
Old 04-28-2017, 07:40 AM
SageTVaholic

It looks like PLEX has added support for Chapters now in it's video player. There's a first attempt out there at comskip support:

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/25...metadata-agent

Would be cool if we could build this into the SageTV Scanner / Agent....
Old 05-01-2017, 08:27 AM
SageTVaholic

I have been playing with PLEX this weekend - managed to find a setting on MCEBuddy that basically takes the EDL file with commercials and creates chapters - which are then embeded along with the video in the MKV container.

The UI in PLEX for selecting the chapter is a bit clunky - however it works.

btl.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:50 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have been thinking about setting up the Plex scanner to integrate my SageTV recordings into Plex. Also, I'm thinking of buying a Shield TV and want to be able to voice search either with the Shield remote or with an Echo. Does anyone have experience with this? If you voice search from the Shield home screen will the results bring up Sage recordings that are in Plex? Also if I use the Echo skill with Plex, can I tell the Echo to play a Sage recording that is in Plex? Thanx!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:28 AM
SageTVaholic

The echo skill for plex works fine. It doesn't care if it is a sagetv recording or not.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
Just posted it now, thanks!
I've updated the installer to request a proper PLEX token that should be permanent. You can access this via:
  • Simply run the installer, it will prompt you to request PLEX token during PLEX section of the configuration.
  • At anytime after install you can reconfigure via -c flag, which will walk through the configuration including PLEX token.
  • To just request a PLEX token, use -t flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
I've noticed somethings else minor since the latest version of the sync tool. I have a shortcut setup pointing to it, and before it opened up the command window, did its thing, and closed the command window. Now it opens up a command window, does its thing, and then the command window stays open until you manually close it. Not sure if this is intentional or not. Running Windows 7 if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for the awesome plugin.
I've noticed this too since I rebuilt my system earlier (Windows 7 with all the updates). I used the latest Python v2.7.13 and cxfreeze that seems to have this problem. Not sure why. If I run the python code directly no issue. If I run the packaged exe it hangs on exit.

For this updated release, I built it with a different machine that has python 2.7.12. I am going to try this at home tonight to see if it makes any difference. (Edit: it no longer hangs at the end for me).

As usual, you can find the updated version at the github download site linked in my sig.

Last edited by wildgoose; 05-10-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
The echo skill for plex works fine. It doesn't care if it is a sagetv recording or not.
Thanx!
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieb View Post
Thanks for the answer. It has been awhile since I played with PLEX. There is a way for me to "help" it find metadata for those rare situations, though, right?
Unfortunately, not really. Plex will just ignore them and then they won't even show up in the GUI. I find it really irritating, but like I said, it's rare. I think it's because it assumes it's a movie (and therefore the tv/series scanner ignores it) if there's no Season/Episode information on it... Not sure.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Not sure if this has changed since I stopped using the Plex Scanner but one thing I noticed when I enabled spaces in my recording filenames and started using its native TV scanner is that Plex indefinitely remembers what television series you've watched.

With the Plex Scanner it will only do this if there are still extant episodes. As soon as all the existing episodes have been deleted any future episodes are essentially seen as a new series.

This also affects syncing. If you set up to sync all unwatched episodes of a series it stops syncing when all the existing episodes have been deleted.

I see the value in using SageTV for a metadata source but not when Plex itself loses track of what you've watched. Life is short and storage is finite. I shouldn't need to keep things around that I don't plan on one day rewatching.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Not sure if this has changed since I stopped using the Plex Scanner but one thing I noticed when I enabled spaces in my recording filenames and started using its native TV scanner is that Plex indefinitely remembers what television series you've watched.

With the Plex Scanner it will only do this if there are still extant episodes. As soon as all the existing episodes have been deleted any future episodes are essentially seen as a new series.
Interesting. I'll look into this next time I work on the plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taddeusz View Post
Life is short and storage is finite...
I know what you mean! I don't even have time to watch TV now! Kids suck up all my time, and energy.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have changed my standalone Windows SageTV server to an UnRaid System several months ago.

Love it!

I have Dockers running with Sage and Plex and PlexPy.

Can someone help me get the /python/sageplex_sync.py to run on a notification or schedule?

I would really like to sync the watched status between Plex and SageTV -

Looks like PlexPy may be able to run a script after a Watched Notification but my knowledge is so limited on how I could accomplish this.

I don't know how the /python/sageplex_sync.py could run on a schedule even - I don't need immediate sync status updates but it would be nive if it was at least a daily update.

Thanks for any help!

Dwight
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT

Last edited by dstanley; 09-02-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Posting back on my success at adding the sageplex_sync tool to my Unraid server.

I have installed 'User Scripts" on my Unraid system - description is here:
https://forums.lime-technology.com/t...-user-scripts/

I copied the "sageplex_cfg.json" file (the configuration file) from it's current folder "\appdata\PlexMediaServer\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server" and placed it in the script folder "\appdata\PlexMediaServer\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\synctool\python" - this could probably be accomplished with some sort of path or variable written to the script but this was easier for me due to my limited knowledge of linux.

The enclosed zip file should be uncompressed (including the folder) to "\config\plugins\user.scripts\scripts" on your flash drive. The folder "sageplex_sync" will contain the description and script files that are necessary for the User Scripts addon. After they are copied look under SETTINGS TAB in the Unraid system - under User Utilities they will be a User Scripts addon.

I have this script set to run every 30 minutes for my use but you can change it to your preference in the settings for the User Script. I chose CUSTOM for the schedule and entered */30 * * * * in the CRON box.

I also have the script delete the log file in the Plex folders as the addon maintains its own log file - this line could be removed for testing so you can see what the synctool is doing.

This is working great for me - watched and partially watched items are syncing regardless of whether they are played with Sage or Plex now.

NOTE: I really can't remember how these PLEX/SAGE files got into my Unraid system but I am thinking that I installed them manually from this thread into the proper folders and setup the config file manually as well. That was quite some time ago.I ran a script to retrieve the PLEX token that is required for authorization to query and alter the Plex files.
I am NOT using the Sage Scanner or BMT Agent as I have found that the Plex scanner/agent does a better job at fanart and media sorting in my situation.

Dwight
Attached Files
File Type: zip sageplex_sync.zip (1.3 KB, 180 views)
SERVER: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz - UnRaid Server 6.8.0/DVB LibreELEC with Docker stuckless-sagetv-server-java9 MOTHERBOARD: ASRock-Z77 Extreme4 / 32GB RAM CACHE DRIVE: SSD 1TB ARRAY: 24TB/7 DRIVES PARITY: 8TB
EXTERNAL DEVICES: 4x HD-PVR's Firewire Channel Changing
TUNERS:NO LONGER RECORDING LIVETV
CLIENTS: 2xHD300 2xHD200 SONY ANDROIDTV MINI-CLIENT
Old 10-04-2017, 09:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

So I am wondering if folks here could help me with a problem with Plex performance on my system for Sage recordings. When I select a particular episode (not the series or even a season), I get about a 5 second delay before the metadata show up and I can trigger playback, etc...

Now, I do have about 20000 recordings (I have a 60TB NAS), so there is quite a bit of stuff in there, but plex has been know to handle huge sets of media pretty easily. This only occurs on movies and recordings from Sage, not ripped DVD's or Music (though I don't have anywhere close to 20000 rips in my library).

I am wondering if the plugin has to go back and talk to Sage before it brings up the episode details, and that call is taking a long time and that's why I am seeing the delays. Sagex calls can take awhile with this many recordings...

Am I on the right track, or should I be looking elsewhere for the source of the delays?

thx
Mike
Old 10-04-2017, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnoboy View Post
So I am wondering if folks here could help me with a problem with Plex performance on my system for Sage recordings. When I select a particular episode (not the series or even a season), I get about a 5 second delay before the metadata show up and I can trigger playback, etc...

Now, I do have about 20000 recordings (I have a 60TB NAS), so there is quite a bit of stuff in there, but plex has been know to handle huge sets of media pretty easily. This only occurs on movies and recordings from Sage, not ripped DVD's or Music (though I don't have anywhere close to 20000 rips in my library).

I am wondering if the plugin has to go back and talk to Sage before it brings up the episode details, and that call is taking a long time and that's why I am seeing the delays. Sagex calls can take awhile with this many recordings...

Am I on the right track, or should I be looking elsewhere for the source of the delays?

thx
Mike
Just to clarify, are you using the Plex Scanner and BMT Agent, or are you using the SageTV Plex Channel? The Plex Scanner should be getting the metadata and such when a file is scanned by Plex - the Plex Channel, however, gets it's metadata from sage upon browsing the channel.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Just to clarify, are you using the Plex Scanner and BMT Agent, or are you using the SageTV Plex Channel? The Plex Scanner should be getting the metadata and such when a file is scanned by Plex - the Plex Channel, however, gets it's metadata from sage upon browsing the channel.
Interesting, I was using the SageTV scanner and the tvdb agent. I just changed it to use BMT for the database. We'll see if that fixes it!

Am I supposed to be using the Plex scanner and not the SageTV scanner?

thx
mike
Old 10-04-2017, 05:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnoboy View Post
Interesting, I was using the SageTV scanner and the tvdb agent. I just changed it to use BMT for the database. We'll see if that fixes it!

Am I supposed to be using the Plex scanner and not the SageTV scanner?

thx
mike
Either would work - the difference is simply where it gets the metadata (thetvdb vs. sagetv). Neither of which would be doing lookups when you browse to a file, as it should already have that information int he plex database.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Either would work - the difference is simply where it gets the metadata (thetvdb vs. sagetv). Neither of which would be doing lookups when you browse to a file, as it should already have that information int he plex database.
That's what I thought. I don't understand why the plex metadata lookup takes so long. The plex server is running in a VM with 32 GB of RAM and 4 CPU's, so it should have plenty of resources to be able to go fast.

thx
mike
Old 11-12-2017, 11:25 PM
Sage Expert

Has anyone done a sync tool or Sage plugin for trakt.tv? I can only find old references to Trakt on the forum unfortunately.

Trakt.tv works as a great middle-man for any number/combination of media sources.