SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:53 AM
Sage User

HD300 with new HDTV produces jerky video

I have been using my HD300 with a standard def CRT TV for years now with great success. I just upgraded the TV to an HDTV unit running at 1080p. I have noticed that sometimes when using Sage to watch recordings or live TV via my server the video is jerky. It doesn't stutter where it would pause/hang but rather it looks like every other frame gets dropped and the action is not smooth even though the audio stays in sync. If I pause the video and resume it usually the problem disappears for a while. I never had this problem when I used the CRT TV.

I have also noticed that the UI got a bit sluggish after the TV swap so I turned off part of the animation and that helped in that regard.

It just seems that the HD300 is a little taxed driving a 1080p TV. This doesn't happen when I switch the TV to normal OTA HD broadcasts.

Any suggestion on what might be causing some performance problem driving the new HDTV?

I have gigabit ethernet hard-wired to the server via a switch and router. It only uses about 15Mb/sec when the server is sending video. The cable can easily pump 300Mb/sec when backing up to a NAS device so I don't think the network is at fault.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Sage User

Double check your TV supports 1080p and not 1080i. I had that problem on one of mine where the receiver would goto 1080p and while it would play, it had like little micro jerking going on.

Switched it to 1080i a it was gone... but if u do that, make sure you set it on the unit prior to connecting to the server.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Sage User

I was going to post my solution and it turned out to be exactly the solution just suggested. Basically, it seemed that either the Sage HD300, the receiver (I hadn't thought about its role) or the HDTV couldn't handle the 1080p output I had set my Sage unit to.

This solution occurred to me because I had seen performance issues on a project at work where we ran 1080p video over an ethernet link. Once we bumped the output down to 1080i the video stayed solid.

Ever since I switched my HD300 to 1080i as the default output format my Sage playback has been rock solid on the HDTV.

I'm not sure who the culprit is but at this point I don't really care and I don't have enough equipment to test it thoroughly even if I did.

Larry
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Sage Icon

I have a similar problem with my "new" tv (LG 60PZ950). I notice it only when playing back NFL games on our CBS channel. Every now and then, usually when I skip forward over the "dead space" between plays, things start to stutter (play at ~15fps) like previously described. It will sometimes self-correct when the NFL game cuts to a different camera.

The difference between me & LHuisingh is that in my case, 1080i actually seems to make it worse.

What I think is happening is that there is some kind of "film mode" inverse-telecine happening inside the TV, and something about the football scene cuts and/or skip forward combined with the interlacing, tricks the TV's inverse telecine into thinking the signal is telecined, and it is trying to recover a 24fps video, and failing miserably.

I only seem to notice it on CBS, and not NBC (which is also 1080i, and also has NFL games that I watch the same way).

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)

Tags
1080p, hd300, hdtv, jerky