SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:00 AM
SageTVaholic

What's the current state of the SageTV EPG, forums, etc?

Wasn't the deal that Narflex said initially that this would continue for at least one year after the Google acquisition. And, if I recall, then it was extended until at least the end of 2012 - does that mean that anything will be ending in a few weeks.

And what about plugins? When the forums were down last week it also seemed to affect the plugin repository and it hosed some of us. Where will this be going?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Sage Icon

"at least" could mean forever

Last weeks outage was hosting related by the sounds of it and it was fixed.

I think that if the forum or EPG were going to go down, Jeff would give actual notice and not just pull the plug on us.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
... I think that if the forum or EPG were going to go down, Jeff would give actual notice and not just pull the plug on us.
I think we have all been on borrowed time here. Very fortunate that the forums have been extended as long as they have.

Hopefully Jeff can answer this, or at least update the status of the forums.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 AM
SageTVaholic

I'd like to be positive regarding Jeff's intentions...but I personally don't want to be stuck with four extenders when, and if, some Google legality forces him to abandon the user-base. isn't there some way this forum, and the plugins database could be mirrored and supported by a paid-subscription base of users? I for one would feel safer about my substantial Sagetv investment
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Sage Icon

This is an actual response I got from Jeff back in the summer,

"If/when there comes a time when you should be concerned that EPG service will actually end on the date we said it will go 'at least' until...I will be sure to let everyone know about it."

I feel confident he will keep us in the loop and updated if we need to be updated or warned about any upcoming changes.

Relax and enjoy the holidays!

J
Old 12-09-2012, 01:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Hopefully Jeff will post here again to ease the fears of the worriers. I predict (educated guess) we'll have EPG, hosting of forums and plugins for a long time to come. Definitely longer than the Mayans calendar debacle and very likely longer than the year 2013...

Not an official response mind you, but I'm relying on SageTV's continued working for my home setup and I'm not worried even a tiny little bit.

PS: There is a backup plan if for some crazy reason the EPG and plugin hosting ended. But there is no reason to turn that on any time soon.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Hopefully Jeff will post here again to ease the fears of the worriers. I predict (educated guess) we'll have EPG, hosting of forums and plugins for a long time to come. Definitely longer than the Mayans calendar debacle and very likely longer than the year 2013...

Not an official response mind you, but I'm relying on SageTV's continued working for my home setup and I'm not worried even a tiny little bit.

PS: There is a backup plan if for some crazy reason the EPG and plugin hosting ended. But there is no reason to turn that on any time soon.
as long as you have solid knowledge that there IS a backup plan, then my holiday's will be much brighter
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have no knowledge of such things but I am wondering if the Google Fiber TV uses the same EPG...if so then it would probably stay around. I haven't seen anyone answer if the Fiber TV does plugins...I assume it does not
Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

It may use the same EPG data but that means that they need to keep the feed alive for Kansas City(s). That specific use doesn't help those of us that live elsewhere.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
I have no knowledge of such things but I am wondering if the Google Fiber TV uses the same EPG...if so then it would probably stay around. I haven't seen anyone answer if the Fiber TV does plugins...I assume it does not
I'm pretty sure (not positive) that Google Fiber does do plugins. Google Fiber TV is basically SageTV with some modifications. Should work very, very much like the SageTV we all use today.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I'm pretty sure (not positive) that Google Fiber does do plugins. Google Fiber TV is basically SageTV with some modifications. Should work very, very much like the SageTV we all use today.
Well you know they claim they will be expanding beyond Kansas City...someday
Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

So Brent did you end up getting the Fiber TV since you live there?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
So Brent did you end up getting the Fiber TV since you live there?
I'm scheduled for early summer 2013. Can Not Wait! In the meantime I'm still sporting a nice SageTV setup connected via Time Warner Cable that is humming along.

Rollout has started on the Kansas side (I live on the better er... Missouri side) and is quickly picking up neighborhood-by-neighborhood. Each new install phase involves a larger install & support crew so the speed of implementation should begin to "snowball" in terms of installation speed throughout KC.

Last edited by Brent; 12-18-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

Once you get it I hope you can do a nice article on geektonic about it
Old 12-18-2012, 02:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Once you get it I hope you can do a nice article on geektonic about it
I don't write much these days, but I promise to do that. I imagine I'll have a different take on it than the folks who get it before me
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I don't write much these days, but I promise to do that. I imagine I'll have a different take on it than the folks who get it before me
I'd like to see it from a Sage user perspective. Does it support plugins? Can you swap the STV some way? Will our extenders talk to it? etc.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Sage

Check out this:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...705#post544705

Basically...no need to worry....when/if there comes a time to be worried, I will give you all ample notice.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Check out this:

Basically...no need to worry....when/if there comes a time to be worried, I will give you all ample notice.
Awesome! Thanks for the update.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
Check out this:

whew!

Christmas came early this year!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Sage Expert

It actually doesn't matter as the Mayans say the world ends Friday 12/21/2012, but thanks anyway Jeff!
Sage Tv Server-Amd 4200FX quad core, Asus Nvidia EN610 Hdmi out , 8 Gig Ram ,(3) HVR-1800, 3.5 terrabyte storage, Windows 8 Pro on sage 9.09 system . Media Server- 6 Terabytes on 5 drives, Amd x2 6000 8 useable gig ram on win 7 32 bit media server.

Tags
epg, google, jeffery