SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Sage Aficionado

Google Fiber ipad app

It's a long shot, I know, but has anybody tried the google fiber ipad app with sage? (https://itunes.apple.com/app/id613278395)
Old 04-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

also available as an android app on the "Play Store" but I'm not at home to try this out and see if it can see the sage server. My guess would be it won't work though.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Sage Expert

Nope.

"TV not found

This application requires Google Fiber Internet & TV service."
Old 04-24-2013, 09:52 PM
SageTVaholic

If only there were some people in KC with the interest to run some traces on the interface between the app and the server. Might be that it is not an entirely unknown interface (I think Jeff did ask for permission to use sagex services). It may just be a detection problem preventing the app from 'finding' the server - in which case, it may be spoofable.

EDIT: Just installed the android version, and the first thing it does is send out some UDP broadcasts to port 31100 - which is the same way extenders and clients locate available sagetv servers - so that part appears to be similar. In fact, the server does respond appropriately (it's own UDP packets back to the phone) - however, the fiber app is obviously not recognizing the response as compatible, and reports it not found. If I could find out what the google fiber storage box responds with, it would hopefully show what the next step the app does, and maybe shed some light on the communication protocol used.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room

Last edited by Fuzzy; 04-24-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:54 AM
SageTVaholic

I should be able to investigate sometime this summer as long as my install of Google Fiber really happens on schedule.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
EDIT: Just installed the android version, and the first thing it does is send out some UDP broadcasts to port 31100 - which is the same way extenders and clients locate available sagetv servers - so that part appears to be similar. In fact, the server does respond appropriately (it's own UDP packets back to the phone) - however, the fiber app is obviously not recognizing the response as compatible, and reports it not found. If I could find out what the google fiber storage box responds with, it would hopefully show what the next step the app does, and maybe shed some light on the communication protocol used.
How are you doing this? Are you using something like Wireshark to monitor the network traffic?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
If only there were some people in KC with the interest to run some traces on the interface between the app and the server. Might be that it is not an entirely unknown interface (I think Jeff did ask for permission to use sagex services). It may just be a detection problem preventing the app from 'finding' the server - in which case, it may be spoofable.

Isn't there a way to de-compile the Android app so you can see what it's looking for?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:45 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
How are you doing this? Are you using something like Wireshark to monitor the network traffic?
Yeah, this was with wireshark. running on my server, filtering all traffic to and from my phone. Like i said though, I'd need to do this in a google fiber household to actually get any answers (or at the very least, bribe jeff to give us the answers).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-07-2013, 09:46 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, this was with wireshark. running on my server, filtering all traffic to and from my phone. Like i said though, I'd need to do this in a google fiber household to actually get any answers (or at the very least, bribe jeff to give us the answers).
I'm hoping to have Google Fiber sometime in the next few months. Installs begin in my neighborhood at the end of July although I'm in a multi-tenant building so that could slow things down a bit. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, here is a link to both IOS and Android Apps:

http://fiber.google.com/apps