SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Sage Icon

xbox one?

I noticed MS unveiled their XBox One yesterday. I did not see the presentation, but heard there was an emphasis on home theater as well as gaming. Does anybody know if it will work as an MCE extender like a 360? Or if MS has continued their partnership with cable companies to the point where the XBO can just be a DVR in its own right?

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 AM
SageTVaholic

MS tried to make the Xbox One "sound" like TV was an emphasis. But the TV part of it is going to be as much of a failure as Google TV has been thus far.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/43...-tv/in/4116279

There is no tuners, no Media Center integration, no extender support etc etc.

Looks like it will have a powerful game experience though. Although no backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 games and rumored no ability to play used games.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Sage Icon

Brent, from reading that linked story (especially the very end), it sounds like this would be a great "in" for Google Fiber (or even non-fiber if they get there)... provide a Xbox1-compatible STB and be able to advertise that if you get Google's service your Xbox1 will be completely integrated, including DVR capability and whatnot. That would be a big "plus" for Google over the cable/sat companies.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Sage Icon

If you follow all of the conjecture flying around all of the top AV sites, you can get lost in it.

The simple fact about the One is that it was just formaly anounced and won't be released until later this year. So far it's a GoogleTv look alike with gaming support.

All new games at this point. That means a realy slow start for them, remember the 360 launch, two years until it was worth talking about. Not to mention the the cost? What is it going to sell for? $4-5-600? Plus new games and addon's?

Unless MS tries to support IPTV with DVR support there not going to far in the home market is my guess. But that might not be to far fetched. Who knows what next year will bring, perhaps they don't want to talk about that little feature.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
MS tried to make the Xbox One "sound" like TV was an emphasis. But the TV part of it is going to be as much of a failure as Google TV has been thus far.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/43...-tv/in/4116279

There is no tuners, no Media Center integration, no extender support etc etc.

Looks like it will have a powerful game experience though. Although no backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 games and rumored no ability to play used games.
Great article, thanks. That's kind of sad. So I guess the only compelling reason for me to get it would be Forza 5. And I'll have to wait until I've got more info on Forza 5...

If I do get one, I'll also have to find or build a sensory deprivation chamber for the @#%@# kinect which seems to be required to be plugged in now. Both for privacy, and to prevent the #$%$#% thing from popping up & interrupting whatever I'm doing whenever somebody walks around the room.

Drew
Old 05-22-2013, 04:29 PM

It all ready confused as hell with One = 1 = First generation
When this is a one is a third generation Xbox they should keep it Xbox 720

The way I see it as an epic failure all ready
1: Fees for used games "Bit me MS".
2: User must connect online every 24 hours.
3: The HDD cannot be changed.
4: Kinect always on even if the console is off (Ops that sound like a Spy Cam to me).
5: Gold membership required for most stuff.
6: Xbox One is Not Backward Compatible with Xbox or Xbox 360 Game.
7: Live TV what joke it should sound like a familiar nightmare it WebTV, Google TV all over.

Thanks God I'm PC User I can do it all
I can play petty much all my old PC Games on a my Modern Computer
1: Run Apps in Compatibility Mode.
2: Find new CD Copy if one is available or a Patched Copy.
3: Find a Ported Version "A source ports like ZDoom and other".
4: Use an Emulator "DOSBox, ScummVM".
5: Download a Fan or Publisher Remake "BlackMesa and min more like it".
6: Contact the Publisher whin and cry for there source codes.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Would it make sense for MS to support IPTV on the xbox after selling the business http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/419...-sale-ericsson ?

Martin
Old 05-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by emveepee View Post
Would it make sense for MS to support IPTV on the xbox after selling the business http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/419...-sale-ericsson ?

Martin
Well that sucks, and makes no sense at the same time. What are they thinking.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybolt View Post
All new games at this point. That means a realy slow start for them, remember the 360 launch, two years until it was worth talking about. Not to mention the the cost? What is it going to sell for? $4-5-600? Plus new games and addon's?
Yeah, because cost stops Applephiles from snapping up new $600 iPhones every time they come out.

These things are gonna sell like hotcakes, regardless of the flaws we here see. The gaming community - not the techie ones like people who might use, I dunno, SageTV - but the ones who just play games, haven't had anything new in almost a decade. What's another thousand dollars on the already-so-big-I'll-eventually-default-it-because-I'll-never-be-able-to-repay-it credit card? It's the age of disposable income, you don't think "responsible spending" will get in the way of a NEW XBOX!!!!!, do you?
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:40 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Yeah, because cost stops Applephiles from snapping up new $600 iPhones every time they come out.

... What's another thousand dollars on the already-so-big-I'll-eventually-default-it-because-I'll-never-be-able-to-repay-it credit card? It's the age of disposable income, you don't think "responsible spending" will get in the way of a NEW XBOX!!!!!, do you?

Ok, I see your point. I too will eventually have one. But I was refering to the non-gammer market MS is trying to break into, they have a long way to go to do that.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:11 AM
SageTVaholic

It's interesting to the shift back to a full blown computer hooked up the big screen.

~10 years ago when I first started to play with MythTV, I was intrigued by the concept of having a computer connected to my TV, but it just wasn't there... and for the most part, it's still not quite there.

Fast forward, and Sony came out with the PS3 and one of its selling features (at least for me) was the ability to run a custom OS (and then they took it away).

Fast forward, and MS releases Xbox One, which is really 2 OSes (3 if you cound the hypervisor), running at the same time, one dedicated for gaming, the other for apps. So we now have a full blown computer hooked up of the TV, but instead of calling it a computer, we'll call it Xbox One

The reason why I bought a PS3 was largely because I hated installing games on windows. You have 3 or 4 discs per game just to install, and during install, you have to enter the cd key, and then after the install, you have download updates. PS3 was just easier to manage (although you still have to download huge updates before you can play a brand new game )

Had something like steam box existed at the time that I bought the ps3... I would have bought a computer and hooked it up to the TV, and used steam. My kids love steam, and I love Steam because I no longer have to enter cd keys, or manage discs, etc. It's nice, in a way, to see that MS is catching up to something that Steam has been doing for years.

And it's interesting that there is so much backlash against the Xbox One, for not being able to sell used games, and using always on internet (or phone home internet)... both of which are the same with Steam. The difference of course is that Steam is a "free" application that you "add" to your existing, open, computer... and Xbox One is a dedicated, closed computer, doing the same thing.

I'm sure Xbox One will do well, but for me, I'm more interested to see how Steam does. It's the only solution that is backward compatible, enables me to keep my games, even when I buy a newer box, and it runs on an "open" OS layer that enables me to run other things, like a media center, browser, etc.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Its funny. What bothers me is not the initial cost, but the nickel-and-diming MS does for XBox Live. Given that the PS4 and the XBO have nearly the same specs, and Sony doesn't nickel and dime you for access to the PSN, the PS4 sounds like a better deal in the long run. I wonder how many people will factor this in.

Drew
Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
Its funny. What bothers me is not the initial cost, but the nickel-and-diming MS does for XBox Live. Given that the PS4 and the XBO have nearly the same specs, and Sony doesn't nickel and dime you for access to the PSN, the PS4 sounds like a better deal in the long run. I wonder how many people will factor this in.

Drew
I agree... but I would note that some of the nickle and diming does add value. It's become a running joke in our household that if I enter the TV room is see a black screen with a white progress bar, that I know my son is "playing a game" on the PS3

Seriously, if you go a week or two and then decide to sit down and play a game, you could have a 30min wait while the game "updates"

It's the reason why I finally ditches the PS3 as my netflix client and now use a GoogleTV unit.... Too many times, I'd have to take a PS3 update just to watch netflix... by the time it was done, I'd no longer want to watch TV

From what I hear, this doesn't happen on the Xbox... OR, when it does happen the updates are FAST, so you aren't spending large amounts of time just staring a TV screen with a progress bar
Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
Too many times, I'd have to take a PS3 update just to watch netflix... by the time it was done, I'd no longer want to watch TV

From what I hear, this doesn't happen on the Xbox... OR, when it does happen the updates are FAST, so you aren't spending large amounts of time just staring a TV screen with a progress bar
Honestly, I've had the same issue with my XBox360. One of the main things I used XBox Live for was to get Amazon Prime in the game / workout room. It seemed like every time I would go to workout & want to watch Amazon, the damned thing would force an update that would take 5 minutes and I'd be staring at a progress bar. I finally decided that it wasn't worth the hassle & did not renew XBL when it expired. For what I pay for a year of XBL, I can get a Roku that does the same thing, but without a yearly fee to access the network, and without a forced update a few times a month, and with a better GUI.

Drew

Last edited by drewg; 05-23-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
And it's interesting that there is so much backlash against the Xbox One, for not being able to sell used games, and using always on internet (or phone home internet)... both of which are the same with Steam. The difference of course is that Steam is a "free" application that you "add" to your existing, open, computer... and Xbox One is a dedicated, closed computer, doing the same thing.
You see there some major diff in Xbox vs. Steam Game, Xbox is mostly Hard Copy Media where Steam is most 95% Digital Distribution and it should be noted that selling used games for digital distribution is going to happing in European, Asia, Africa and including Australia sooner or teller.
Wrong Steam has an Offline mode it only game that needed the Internet that will not work which are Multi-player Game.

Last edited by SHS; 05-23-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
Wrong Steam has an Offline mode it only game that needed the Internet that will not work which are Multi-player Game.
Stream's "offline" mode is less than ideal. You have to know beforehand that you are going offline, and tell steam, while you are online. Too many times, one of my sons will forget to "tell" steam that they are going offline, and we go a long trip, and they can't play their games. OR, like last weekend, we lost the internet for a day, and they couldn't play games

I'm by no means advocating this... I'm just pointing out that people are far more forgiving of Stream doing this.. and I wonder if it's because Steam doesn't produce a closed hardware solution?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Stream's "offline" mode is less than ideal. You have to know beforehand that you are going offline, and tell steam, while you are online. Too many times, one of my sons will forget to "tell" steam that they are going offline, and we go a long trip, and they can't play their games. OR, like last weekend, we lost the internet for a day, and they couldn't play games
That easy fix disable all the network adapter
I have some problem here we lost the internet like with

Quote:
I'm by no means advocating this... I'm just pointing out that people are far more forgiving of Stream doing this.. and I wonder if it's because Steam doesn't produce a closed hardware solution?
I believe steam is working on a hardware solution so who know if that will ever happing

Last edited by SHS; 05-23-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Sage Icon

Still to many unknowns to know if I will buy the new Xbox One.
I have Xbox360s on each of my big TVs and they are great for Netfilx, HBOgo and Amazon. Music and TV not so much. I like the TV voice controls with the Kinect. (motion controls are useless)

The TV aspects of the new box look slick but if they are not going to work with my DirecTV service it will be pointless. I am guessing content providers will not play well with Microsoft and the only things that will really work well will be the overpriced stuff you can buy directly from them. Until you get a DVR app like SageTV that can plug into something like GoogleTV or the Xbox One I think the success of the TV integration is not likely. Perhaps Microsoft is working on a slick Windows 8 upgrade of Media Center to work with the new Xbox One but I doubt it. (Don't want to destroy their relationships with the Cable companies)

If I don't get the new Xbox it will be because of Steam. The Xbox360 has been used sparingly over the last year as my son and I have increasingly moved to Steam. I have a long HDMI cord running from the Gaming PC at my desk to the big TV. I have started using Steam's Big Picture mode to play games on the big TV with the controller. Not as slick as the 3 monitor setup at my desk but more comfortable. Still some bugs with Steam Big Picture mode but overall the gaming is better than on the Xbox360.
Also: if you don't have to have the latest games as they are released then PC games on Steam are much cheaper.
EA\Origin are trying to mess up Steam by not offering some games but as of now it is not enough to impact my love for it. (Just makes me hate EA that much more)

Retired SageTV in favor of Plex\Emby and YouTubeTV.