SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 PM
SageTVaholic

The break-even point of just under 3 years makes it tough. In theory, once you reach a certain point of performance, you should be fine for a while. My HD300s are fine, the first of which I got 3 years ago, and while I just updated my SageTV server, I was running the previous one for about 5 years.

We're also getting close to the point where I'm not sure if I'm going to want/need a traditional DVR in 3 years.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

On the bright side, it looks like the operating system is on flash memory now, so you can upgrade the hard drive size by just putting in a new drive and turning it on. Much easier than the previous linux copy, expand, supersize method.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Just keep in mind that if you want to upgrade your Tivo within those 3 years, I don't believe you can transfer the lifetime service. I think it's lifetime of the exact Tivo device it's purchased for. If you're on these forums, my guess is that you'll constantly be looking for the next big thing and probably won't be happy with your current setup in 3 years.
Hey, I used my ReplayTV's for over 10 years. I had 4 of them. The only reason I stopped using those as "backups" (for the odd time that my Sage HD tuner or the channel messed up a recording) was my cable company removed the ability to directly tune SD channels without one of their horrible little boxes.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
I haven't thought about that - I haven't owned a TiVo in eight years, didn't even look at them closely because of all the usability issues - but that shouldn't be to difficult to find out.
EDIT: So just learned that those flags don't appear to be an issue for the Mini - however, not all 3rd party content stored on the Main system can be played back.
I don't have any minis. why would you be able to share programming with a mini and not a Premiere - design genius? lol
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Sage Fanatic

[QUOTE=reggie14;555835.

We're also getting close to the point where I'm not sure if I'm going to want/need a traditional DVR in 3 years.[/QUOTE]

^this. $@#% major league baseball is the only thing that keeps me tied to cable.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I don't have any minis. why would you be able to share programming with a mini and not a Premiere - design genius? lol
I think you are the one who has the TiVo here, right? So, there's no question who the real *genius* is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
That looks about right to me. $45, to be precise, although they say multi-service discounts may apply. Plus taxes and other fees, I'm sure.
I don't think the complete switch would cost me much at all. Monthly I'd be paying a little less actually since I can return three cable boxes (one of them a DVR), since I will only need two Minis to replace my three extenders - how much do those fetch these days?

Last edited by flavius; 08-24-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius View Post
I think you are the one with who has the TiVo here, right? So, there's no question who the real *genius* is.
genius English....
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 08-24-2013, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Did TiVo ever re-enable TiVo-to-TiVo streaming on the Premieres? I had heard they disabled streaming, so all you could do was copy a recording from one TiVo to another (thus requiring the recording to be marked copy-freely).
Old 08-24-2013, 12:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
Did TiVo ever re-enable TiVo-to-TiVo streaming on the Premieres? I had heard they disabled streaming, so all you could do was copy a recording from one TiVo to another (thus requiring the recording to be marked copy-freely).
well you learn something everday, even when you're a 'genius'....
streaming seems to be working now, but transferring is still forebidden. Also, the software has changed in so much that the big, red X is now less evident than before, which is likely why I assumed streaming was also taboo...
PS - I barely use the Tivo's. They exist for WAF - I am a Sage guy...

Last edited by tvmaster2; 08-24-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

why would you want to transfer from one to the other?

xfer vs stream to mobile device i get, and i'm sure that's not as wonderful as they make it sound.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Sage Icon

^ Transfer of flag protected stuff to mobile devices does not work.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:51 PM
Sage User

I hear there is a way to import your dvds into the Tivo server so we can time shift.

The one thing that would help me sway more would be the ability to use a program like Comskip to remove the commercials.
I can't watch TV now with those annoying commercials any more.
Server: PowerSpec i7-6700 3.4GHz, 64bit, 16G Ram, Win7 (downgraded from 10), gigabit network. Software: SageTV v9.1.583 (from v6), Comskip Doners. Tuners: 1 HDHomerun dual QAM & 2 HDHR3 Dual QAM digital tuners.Other Hardware: 2 HD300, 3 HD200, and 5 HD100 SageTV extenders, Hardware & Software Firewalls, Service Provider: WideOpenWest in-the-clear digital programming with internet speeds of 30MB down and 5MB up

Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronicbuff View Post
The one thing that would help me sway more would be the ability to use a program like Comskip to remove the commercials.[/B] I can't watch TV now with those annoying commercials any more.
Amen to that!! That is one of the major drawbacks to most of the SageTv hardware solutions like TiVo, Cable/Sat DVR's, etc.
It is also what has made OnDemand completely and utterly useless on Comcast. When OD first started you had to watch one or two short Comcast or network ads prior to the OD selection starting, but after that there were no more commercials. Now, not only do the majority of the OD selections have commercials intact from the aired version, but in a majority of those FF is disabled.
I could forgive the absolutely horrible FF/RW response of OD just to get that program that I missed, but now they have taken even that vastly underperforming function away completely.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
Amen to that!! That is one of the major drawbacks to most of the SageTv hardware solutions like TiVo, Cable/Sat DVR's, etc.
It is also what has made OnDemand completely and utterly useless on Comcast. When OD first started you had to watch one or two short Comcast or network ads prior to the OD selection starting, but after that there were no more commercials. Now, not only do the majority of the OD selections have commercials intact from the aired version, but in a majority of those FF is disabled.
I could forgive the absolutely horrible FF/RW response of OD just to get that program that I missed, but now they have taken even that vastly underperforming function away completely.
Comskip is the killer feature that keeps me plugging away at keeping our Sage system going. I can't image going to forced unskippable ads, and even manual quickskip/FF solutions are pretty unacceptable.

What are the alternatives that incorporate comskip? I guess MythTV and XBMC?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post
What are the alternatives that incorporate comskip? I guess MythTV and XBMC?
WMC
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 09-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

MediaPortal NextPVR
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
WMC
Please don't mention WMC. (it hurts my brain)

While I was having issues getting SageDCT to run on my WHS machine (eventually turned out that "something", never did figure out what, was trying to use the same RTP port as SageDCT) I tried putting my HDHR Prime onto WMC on my Winddows 7 machine. OMG! What a VASTLY, HORRENDOUSLY, inferior product. I couldn't even record my shows since I could not find a way to get those channels which insisted on starting shows 20-30 seconds early (yes my time is correct on the computer) using a series record to start 1 minute early.
Sure there is a setting in the main config for setting pre/post padding preferences, but I could not get them to work via series record (seems on the web nobody else could either). There is a setting to post pad, but no option to pre pad.
Just soo many things I have come to rely on in my very basic SageTV setup that were completely missing in WMC.

So I figured WMC *must* have a bazillion plugins right? Well there were quite a few, but almost none of any use (to *me*) at all with the exception of maybe tuner salad (to extend the 4 tuner limitation) and the tools to get comskip to work.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronicbuff View Post
I hear there is a way to import your dvds into the Tivo server so we can time shift.

The one thing that would help me sway more would be the ability to use a program like Comskip to remove the commercials.
I can't watch TV now with those annoying commercials any more.
I know what you mean. Last time I did Business travel I forgot my External HD that I keep some things to watch while on the road. Was stuck with just the room TV. It was PAINFUL.

Absolutely lost interest in the story lines with all the commercial interruptions.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
Please don't mention WMC. (it hurts my brain)

There is a setting to post pad, but no option to pre pad.
I have a 2 minute pre-pad on "America's got talent". Works fine...
SERVER: Win 7 x64/i7-860/Zotac H55ITX-C-E/Corsair H70/CFI a7879 case/12 TB Pooled with Drive Bender. DVBLogic: streaming HDPVR content to SageTV, WMC Clients, NPVR Clients, Remote Computers & iphone. 2ea HDPVR, 3ea HDHomeRun, 2ea VIP211
Old 09-06-2013, 08:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
I have a 2 minute pre-pad on "America's got talent". Works fine...
Maybe we're not running the same versions (mines on Win7), but I never could find a pre-pad setting for series and all my series recordings did not honor the pre/post padding in the main settings.