SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

CBS and PBS gone on NYC Time Warner clear QAM

I have been getting my local channels via clear QAM on Time Warner Cable in Queens NY. This week Time Warner has scrambled CBS and PBS but not the other local channels. (I re-scanned for changed channels, no go, so it's not just a change of physical channels) I know the FCC now allows cable cos. to scramble all their channels but I can still get NBC, Fox, ABC, PIX on clear QAM. You would think that Time Warner would scramble all the channels at once. Oh well, back to the rabbit ears!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Sage Fanatic

Do you pay for cable TV or just internet access? I have a feeling TWC will start getting rid of ClearQAM because are lot of users pick up the channels with only having a cable internet subscription.

If you have a TV subscription you should be able to get a free/cheap converter box. However, you'll only be able to record one channel at a time...

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Case: Antec 1200 with 4 iStarUSA trayless hot-swap cages (20 drives max)
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Capture Cards: HDHomeRun Connect Quatro 4, Hauppauge 60 HD-PVR
Players: 5 HD300s, 2 HD200s
Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have two STBs hooked up to 2 Hauppauge HDPVRs. I was using a Hauppauge PVR 1850 as a third encoder for clear QAM. Now I'll use the 1850 as a third encoder for OTA. Too many shows to get by with just two encoders!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:53 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdippel View Post
Too many shows to get by with just two encoders!
Totally agree. That is a very similar setup as to what I have as well with TWC.

One solution could be to use SageDCT and a Cablecard to record the locals, I don't think TWC sets those as copy-once (but I don't know for sure).

Hardware: Intel Core i7-920 with 12GB RAM & an Adaptec 5805 with a Chenbro 36-port SAS Expander
Drives: 8 Toshiba/Hitachi 2TB drives in a RAID 6 & 7 Toshiba 3TB drives in a RAID 6
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdippel View Post
I have two STBs hooked up to 2 Hauppauge HDPVRs. I was using a Hauppauge PVR 1850 as a third encoder for clear QAM. Now I'll use the 1850 as a third encoder for OTA. Too many shows to get by with just two encoders!
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good antenna to use in NYC? I'm not having much luck tuning reliably on the UWS.
"Recordings": "2TB SATA",
"Imports": "2x 4TB USB",
"Clients": ["HD300", "HD200", "SageTVClient"]}
Old 02-08-2014, 12:40 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjoe View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good antenna to use in NYC? I'm not having much luck tuning reliably on the UWS.

If you haven't tried already, this forum may be some help:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/275729/new-york-ny-ota
Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I'm using this one with good results from northeast Queens. http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/cat...FcdQOgodiywA_Q
Old 02-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Totally agree. That is a very similar setup as to what I have as well with TWC.

One solution could be to use SageDCT and a Cablecard to record the locals, I don't think TWC sets those as copy-once (but I don't know for sure).
Time Warner cable has no copy freely channels, even the locals.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 02-15-2014, 07:25 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
Time Warner cable has no copy freely channels, even the locals.
Wow, I use TWC and I know most channels are copy-once but I didn't realize they locked down the locals.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:45 AM
SageTVaholic

TWC - My locals are still clear QAM, everything else is copy once, so no chance for cablecard + Sage usage.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:43 PM

Down to one channel

Quote:
NYCJoe - it looks like you and I are in the same hood. I've been using four HD Homerun tuners for years without issue then about a year ago, I lost about 50% of my channels but still had broadcast.

Yesterday, I lost everything but Fox. Have you found an UWS solution? I'm on the ground floor of a townhouse between two GINOURMOUS buildings so I'm not sure what to do.

I figure if I have to, maybe I'll get the HD HR prime and subscribe to a CableCard but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:32 PM
SageTVaholic

With Time Warner service, the only options you have:

1) Cablecard - Windows Media Center, Sage will not work
2) Hauppauge HD-PVR and IR Blaster or USB-UIRT channel changes

Time Warner has indicated [erroneously] that they are required by their providers to flag all recordings as "copy-once," so there is no way to use SageTV with Time Warner's cablecard. Obviously, this is a blatant lie.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan607 View Post
NYCJoe - it looks like you and I are in the same hood. I've been using four HD Homerun tuners for years without issue then about a year ago, I lost about 50% of my channels but still had broadcast.

Yesterday, I lost everything but Fox. Have you found an UWS solution? I'm on the ground floor of a townhouse between two GINOURMOUS buildings so I'm not sure what to do.

I figure if I have to, maybe I'll get the HD HR prime and subscribe to a CableCard but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
Unfortunately not. I'm trying out the antenna gdippel suggested above (http://bit.ly/1fXUIPI) but I'm not getting good results with it. I'm on the 5th floor here on the UWS currently but had similar issues last year a few blocks away on the 11th floor (with a an almost clear line of sight to ESB).

I had better results with this http://amzn.to/1fXUs35 a while ago but a couple of channels wouldn't tune well. Maybe the solution is multiple HDHR's with separate antennas? Still works out to be cheaper than cable.

I'm actually really happy with my HDPVR - I use Ethernet tuning so it's very fast and reliable, but I dislike TWC so much that I'm willing to give up cable just to no logner deal with them (even NY1).

Regarding cablecard - I believe KryptoNyte is correct, TWC cablecard is DRM only and so will not work with SageTV. I believe FIOS will work, at least for now.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately not. I'm trying out the antenna gdippel suggested above (http://bit.ly/1fXUIPI) but I'm not getting good results with it. I'm on the 5th floor here on the UWS currently but had similar issues last year a few blocks away on the 11th floor (with a an almost clear line of sight to ESB).

I had better results with this http://amzn.to/1fXUs35 a while ago but a couple of channels wouldn't tune well. Maybe the solution is multiple HDHR's with separate antennas? Still works out to be cheaper than cable.

I'm actually really happy with my HDPVR - I use Ethernet tuning so it's very fast and reliable, but I dislike TWC so much that I'm willing to give up cable just to no logner deal with them (even NY1).

Regarding cablecard - I believe KryptoNyte is correct, TWC cablecard is DRM only and so will not work with SageTV. I believe FIOS will work, at least for now.
If you can't get good channels on the fifth floor, there's no way I'm getting anything here on the first floor.

I don't have Fios on my block; I call them so often they actually know my name. So I suppose it's Windows for me with a cablecard. It was good while it lasted!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Whoa, if you have FIOS available, I'd grab a cablecard from them and an HDHR Prime from Amazon and call it a day.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Whoa, if you have FIOS available, I'd grab a cablecard from them and an HDHR Prime from Amazon and call it a day.
Verizon has been pushing back installation date in my bldg for over a year now. They have given about 10 different commitment dates only to cancel at the last minute with some bogus excuse about "the landlord not cooperating," which is clearly nonsense - every coop shareholder meeting is spent discussing strategies to speed up installation because everyone wants it (damn you TWC).

I had fios at a previous apartment and it was great - i loved streaming place shifter to my office. It really got me caught up on Giants and walking dead (both were not an option at home with a newborn).

Wasn't verizon supposed to wire the entire city this year? What is this BS about passing every residence?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 AM
SageTVaholic

If you've got a decent enough co-op, it may be possible to install a trunk from a properly configured/sized antenna on the roof, amplified, and tapped to each unit. Would get the antenna up above at least some of the reflections. A small, very directional antenna mounted up there should be able to focus in well enough on the Empire State Bldg. to get decent reception.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Maybe the solution is multiple HDHR's with separate antennas? Still works out to be cheaper than cable.
This is what I finally have done. It's working great for me. I did have to use the zip code from the next town for setting up the lineup on the second hdhomerun. When I tried to delete the channels that one antenna wouldn't pick up, SageTV would delete them from the HDHR that was attached to the other antenna.

I have a cheap yagi style antenna from RadioShack pointed North and a homemade Gray-Hoverman pointed southeast. My problem was that two of my stations were so close to my house that I was getting bad multipath and had constant dropouts on the strong signal. It was truly aggravating to look out my window and see the tower and not be able to get a clean signal. The gray-hoverman with an aluminum foil reflector solved my problems for the powerful stations.

I followed this guide for the Gray-Hoverman Link Mine is made from 5' of 10-2 Romex, an 8' 1x4, a piece of 1/8 masonite 24" x 36", 6' of regular aluminum foil taped to the masonite with clear packing tape and an RCA balun from Lowes.