SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Sage User

TiVo Releases A $49.99 Over-The-Air DVR For Cord Cutters

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/25/tivo-roamio-ota/

Thoughts?
Old 08-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

+ $15 per month...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-25-2014, 09:06 PM
SageTVaholic

The price isn't too bad. Sure, it's $15/month, but Tablo is $5/month, and significantly more expensive up-front. So, over a 3 year period, the TiVo is certainly more expensive, but the difference is only about $100.

I probably find the Tablo more appealing, although I think I'd find many aspects of the interface rather clunky (particularly on Roku). A TiVo would probably be a much easier device for the masses to use.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM
Sage Icon

Any word on whether you would be able to have one of these and then proprietary "extenders" (whatever they'd call them) at other TVs, hooked into the one with the DVR storage? I'm guessing not. Though I see that it has the ability to stream to other devices (I am not versed on current Tivo hardware enough to know if that includes stuff like a Roku, or whether that just means tablets, phones, remote PCs, i.e., "placeshifting").
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpjpjpj View Post
Any word on whether you would be able to have one of these and then proprietary "extenders" (whatever they'd call them) at other TVs, hooked into the one with the DVR storage? I'm guessing not. Though I see that it has the ability to stream to other devices (I am not versed on current Tivo hardware enough to know if that includes stuff like a Roku, or whether that just means tablets, phones, remote PCs, i.e., "placeshifting").
pj

They have the Tivo mini, that could be considered an extender, but it also requires a monthly payment for use with a Tivo and it works just like an extender. The Romio pro model can stream to other devices, including the mini, and with a Tivo app either an iapp or an android app to tablets or phones but only the mini can stream to another TV. Not sure if roku is supported but there are quite a few things roku supports and more being added all the time.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
The price isn't too bad. Sure, it's $15/month, but Tablo is $5/month, and significantly more expensive up-front. So, over a 3 year period, the TiVo is certainly more expensive, but the difference is only about $100.

I probably find the Tablo more appealing, although I think I'd find many aspects of the interface rather clunky (particularly on Roku). A TiVo would probably be a much easier device for the masses to use.
Yup and to me the Tablo 4 Tuner model is a better deal but I hate local channel there never nothing good on in fact it not like 80s, 90s and early part of 2000s with good show now it just old boring carp rerun.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:09 AM
Sage Advanced User

US$15 a month is way too expensive.

I'm getting fed up with this subscription business model for everything. It's a new age VCR. Why should I pay a monthly fee?!
Eric
Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3a View Post

I'm getting fed up with this subscription business model for everything. It's a new age VCR. Why should I pay a monthly fee?!
Eric
Precisely the point made by the CNET reviewer at http://www.cnet.com/products/tivo-ro...tag=CAD1acfa04

The TIVO Roamio OTA ended up as the most expensive option when they did the planning over a three and four year timeframe.
All in lovely Drexel Hill, PA
Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3a View Post

Eric
I was starting to think I was the only one who thought that $15/month for this service was expensive...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 08-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Sage Advanced User

With Tivo you are basically paying for the epg. At least if you use one with a cable card. I agree though subscription business models will keep people away unless they are truly set on those features. Pay to play has it's ups and downs and is a sad way to go.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenice View Post
With Tivo you are basically paying for the epg. At least if you use one with a cable card. I agree though subscription business models will keep people away unless they are truly set on those features. Pay to play has it's ups and downs and is a sad way to go.
You're also paying for the box. They "sell" the boxes at a subsidized rate, and make it back (and much more) with the subscription fee.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post
You're also paying for the box. They "sell" the boxes at a subsidized rate, and make it back (and much more) with the subscription fee.
Sounds like the Gillette razor model which is used all over the place now - like for cell phones.