SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wow, I check back in after awhile and see that the app has made it to the Google and Amazon stores, awesome!

Just one catch though, has anyone else been able to install it from the amazon store? I can see that one of my two firetvs is compatible (the 2nd gen 4K) but when I try to push install or install directly from the device I get a "This software is not compatible with this device" message and no install occurs. Has anyone else hit this?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gexi View Post
Wow, I check back in after awhile and see that the app has made it to the Google and Amazon stores, awesome!

Just one catch though, has anyone else been able to install it from the amazon store? I can see that one of my two firetvs is compatible (the 2nd gen 4K) but when I try to push install or install directly from the device I get a "This software is not compatible with this device" message and no install occurs. Has anyone else hit this?
I still have some work to do there. I think I need to set some special manifest flags for Amazon, so I need to do some research.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I still have some work to do there. I think I need to set some special manifest flags for Amazon, so I need to do some research.
Thanks again for all the hard work, please let me know if I can be of any help!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:44 AM
Sage Advanced User

Had some issues this morning playing back a file. I recently moved and I'm using a different provider so I'm now recording from a clear QAM stream, and thus far none of the recordings will play audio on my NVIDIA Shield TV. The recordings have the following encoding: MPEG2-PS[MPEG2-Video 16:9 1080i@29.97fps, Dolby Digital/384Kbps@48kHz 5.1 eng, Dolby Digital/192Kbps@48kHz Stereo spa]

I saw someone else say that they had no issues - I haven't had time to verify that both audio streams have audio in them (they play fine in other apps, the SageTV client on the server and streaming via Plex).
Old 06-20-2016, 09:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf77 View Post
Had some issues this morning playing back a file. I recently moved and I'm using a different provider so I'm now recording from a clear QAM stream, and thus far none of the recordings will play audio on my NVIDIA Shield TV. The recordings have the following encoding: MPEG2-PS[MPEG2-Video 16:9 1080i@29.97fps, Dolby Digital/384Kbps@48kHz 5.1 eng, Dolby Digital/192Kbps@48kHz Stereo spa]

I saw someone else say that they had no issues - I haven't had time to verify that both audio streams have audio in them (they play fine in other apps, the SageTV client on the server and streaming via Plex).
So, I found that one channel in particular only has one audio stream and it plays audio just fine. Perhaps it's some issue with the presence of multiple streams rather than the dolby digital encoding? Maybe a log from somewhere would help? I find it odd that someone else with a Shield TV with the same media formats is not having issues at all... go figure.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
AndroidTV
  • UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT - standard navigation
  • Middle Button - SELECT/ENTER
  • Middle Button LONG PRESS - Bring up on screen navigation (or OPTIONS - determined by preferences)
  • MEDIA Pause/Play - Pause/Play
  • MEDIA FF/REW - FF/REW
  • MEDIA STOP - STOP
  • Controller A - SELECT/ENTER
  • Controller B - ESCAPE
  • Controller X - STOP
  • Controller Y - PAUSE/PLAY
  • Back Button sends "BACK" command (also exits on screen navigation, or if video is playing, will stop the video)
  • Long Press Center Button - OPTIONS or On Screen Navigation (depending on preferences)

If you have Smart Remote enabled in the preferences, then when a video is playing/paused, then the following remote buttons will be in effect.
  • LEFT/RIGHT - Skip Back / Skip Forward
  • Middle Button - Pause/Play
  • MEDIA Pause/Play - Pause/Play
  • MEDIA FF/REW - FF/REW
  • MEDIA STOP - STOP
  • BACK will stop the video playback
Are you enabling a "Smart Remote" in the Android TV preferences?

I just picked up a Nexus Player and installed the Mini-Client. It works great, but I am still figuring out what keys to use to control it. (For example, I was not able to get the keyboard to appear.)
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 09-16-2016, 09:28 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Are you enabling a "Smart Remote" in the Android TV preferences?

I just picked up a Nexus Player and installed the Mini-Client. It works great, but I am still figuring out what keys to use to control it. (For example, I was not able to get the keyboard to appear.)
In the preferences, you an turn it off, I think it is enabled by default. That being said, you need to be V9 for the Smart Remote to function properly.

As for keyboard, it will appear automatically if you are running V9 and the screen had a text entry field. Or, you can manually force a keyboard if you long press select (middle button) and then click on the keyboard.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
In the preferences, you an turn it off, I think it is enabled by default. That being said, you need to be V9 for the Smart Remote to function properly.

As for keyboard, it will appear automatically if you are running V9 and the screen had a text entry field. Or, you can manually force a keyboard if you long press select (middle button) and then click on the keyboard.
Thanks! I am still on V7, so no smart remote yet.

The tip about the long press select also brings up a display of all keys on the screen, so that is helpful. I really dislike the limited controls on the Nexus remote. I will have to play around to find a better remote. I wonder if the Harmony will let me map additional keys for SageTV on the Nexus?
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 09-16-2016, 12:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

The tip about the long press select also brings up a display of all keys on the screen, so that is helpful. I really dislike the limited controls on the Nexus remote. I will have to play around to find a better remote. I wonder if the Harmony will let me map additional keys for SageTV on the Nexus?
Or... just overwrite Sage.jar with the updated Sage.jar... and poof you are upgraded to v9. (do a backup of your dir first... just in case).
Old 09-20-2016, 03:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

My nexus is in a box somewhere, but if it's remote is anything like the shield remote I'd upgrade to v9 because the remote becomes a lot more functional.

See this thread I started for more info.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:12 AM
Sage Icon

On my Shield TV, I often have problems when waking from standby. The interface doesn't respond for a long time or the screen is blank and I have to exit the app and go back in or close it with the special OSD.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:14 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncb View Post
On my Shield TV, I often have problems when waking from standby. The interface doesn't respond for a long time or the screen is blank and I have to exit the app and go back in or close it with the special OSD.
I have the same issue... I always long press and then exit the app when I'm done SageTV.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

The latest post on this is a couple years old. I was wondering if anyone has been using the mini client on an AndroidTV box and what problems you are having. Been searching for something i can use in place of an extender.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypuff View Post
The latest post on this is a couple years old. I was wondering if anyone has been using the mini client on an AndroidTV box and what problems you are having. Been searching for something i can use in place of an extender.
It was updated a few months back try 1.3.4 out
Old 12-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

I can't use 1.34 on any of my new shields. It freezes, crashes, and the menus get garbled. I reverted to 1.30 and shut off google play auto app update and everything is fine, maybe once a week it will crash back to the nvidia home screen, but it restarts fine. My mi boxes were okay, but would crash more frequently and require hard reboots, and they had issues with other streaming apps. My advice would be to bite the bullet and pick up shields, best time of year to watch for deals.

I'm quite happy with it, but the only thing I can't replicate from an HD300 is 5/1 sound. I have tried various combos of versions and EXO/IJK player settings but no luck (and no real idea what i'm doing, just mashing buttons)

Is 5.1 officially impossible with the miniclient?
Old 12-03-2018, 12:56 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks. That's good to know. I picked up on a whim, A Roku Ultra FOR $40 during Black Friday. I have not opened it yet and am wondering if i really need it as many of the apps are available on my TV, but i hear Hulu may work better on the Roku with fewer buffering issues. Just looking for an excuse to keep the Roku and convince the wife we need it. During my research, i looked into the Android TV boxes and thought they would be a better solution to keep my SageTV environment alive. From what I've read, the Shield is the best although somewhat aged already. Sounds like the mini client isn't 100% reliable on the Shield but sounds like a reasonable solution once my extenders die. Although, i think our remotes may crap out first.

Capture Devices: HDHomerunXTEND, HDHomerunPrime
Old 12-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandypuff View Post
Thanks. That's good to know. I picked up on a whim, A Roku Ultra FOR $40 during Black Friday. I have not opened it yet and am wondering if i really need it as many of the apps are available on my TV, but i hear Hulu may work better on the Roku with fewer buffering issues. Just looking for an excuse to keep the Roku and convince the wife we need it. During my research, i looked into the Android TV boxes and thought they would be a better solution to keep my SageTV environment alive. From what I've read, the Shield is the best although somewhat aged already. Sounds like the mini client isn't 100% reliable on the Shield but sounds like a reasonable solution once my extenders die. Although, i think our remotes may crap out first.
For what it's worth, I use a Shield myself and I've had 0 issues with the latest update (I know others have). I love it, it is considerably faster than my HD300 ever has been. The Shield may be a bit old, but it still outperforms even my Roku Ultra by a long margin and nVidia updates it regularly even to this day. It's not like a smartphone - where support stops after about 6 months.

If you use Hulu, there is a reason to keep the Ultra, though - Hulu is currently refusing to release any updates for Android TV, but they are in the minority. Pretty much all other streaming services are supported actively. The Hulu app works, but it's on the old interface and there is no profile support and no support for Hulu TV.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Another thing that helps with the SageTV client app is to select the option for it to quit anytime you leave the app. The app is very sensitive to available memory, so sharing it with other Android apps will bring on the text corruption and other issues almost right away.

That having been said, I am still on 1.3.0 as I do feel it behaves better than 1.3.4.

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 PM
Sage User

Thank you for keeping this updated.
My HD200 next to my fireplace has died after a long and distinguished life. I've ordered a Nvidia Shield based on info provided in the forums and specifically because of this app.
Hoping for a long and uneventful life of product using the mini-client.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
I can't use 1.34 on any of my new shields. It freezes, crashes, and the menus get garbled. I reverted to 1.30
Just trying out the Shield and the miniclient for the first time and I'm seeing similar issues.

How do you revert to 1.30? The Android store only seems to install the most recent and in Bintray I only see 1.3.4 and 1.2.8.

--John

Last edited by jpwegas; 12-08-2018 at 01:46 PM.