SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
As the one who first compiled the open source exe's, I think you are on to something and I mentioned at the time that I was concerned about access priveledges. I suspect the exe needs some kind of elevated permissions to read the registry settings created by the v7 installer.

edit:

This link looks a lot like what may be going on (virtualization):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...ldnt-windows-7

It seems like a manifest may be needed for the exe's.
There are some other registry related issues regarding the heap setting being discussed in the installer thread as well that may be related to this.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-26-2016, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
There are some other registry related issues regarding the heap setting being discussed in the installer thread as well that may be related to this.
Yup. It seems Sage 9 can't read the registry correctly. Maybe a permissions error.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Sage

I found a file called reqadmin.manifest in the folder that had all the stuff for building the installers. In it was these contents, maybe this is the clue:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
  <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">  
   <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
         <security>
             <requestedPrivileges>
                 <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false"/>
             </requestedPrivileges>
         </security>
     </trustInfo>
</assembly>
Old 01-26-2016, 04:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
I found a file called reqadmin.manifest in the folder that had all the stuff for building the installers. In it was these contents, maybe this is the clue:

Code:
         <security>
             <requestedPrivileges>
             </requestedPrivileges>
         </security>
     </trustInfo>
</assembly>

As I get some time i will see how to handle this in either Wix as part of the install or on the build of the exe's. I will need to investigate an approach as this is another new one for me.

k
Old 01-26-2016, 04:07 PM
SageTVaholic

How can we manually fix this for now? Can we just run Regedit as an admin?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
How can we manually fix this for now? Can we just run Regedit as an admin?
I suspect you need run SageTV itself as administrator.

If the manifest was part of the installers, it would seem like the installer itself was getting elevated. I'm not sure if that applies to the exe's themselves. Maybe the "installed" programs take on the privileges of the installer?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:19 PM
SageTVaholic

What if the user account that is running sage is a local admin in Win7 or Win10. Is that sufficient?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What if the user account that is running sage is a local admin in Win7 or Win10. Is that sufficient?
I don't think so. I think that just gives you the option to run things as admin. By default they run with their original permissions. Try right-clicking on the icon or program and choose "run as administrator". You should get one of those UAC dialog boxes.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:45 PM
SageTVaholic

It looks like WIX has the ability to set permissions granualarily on each key and value with <Permission> keys.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...key-permission

I'm not really sure what permissions the keys should be set to, though. It looks like on my existing system, the keys and values are all set so "Users" can read, and "Administrators" have full control.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.

Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-26-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It looks like WIX has the ability to set permissions granualarily on each key and value with <Permission> keys.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4...key-permission

I'm not really sure what permissions the keys should be set to, though. It looks like on my existing system, the keys and values are all set so "Users" can read, and "Administrators" have full control.
My assumption is the key with the issue is the SageTV one under frey I believe. It is NOT created by the installer but is created by the app on first run so we should check permissions on that key after sage runs. Perhaps i should have the Installer create that entry and set permissions to everyone or users..

I earlier resolved folder permissions by having the installer provide the exe with permissions to the folders its installed in as otherwise it could not create all the files it creates on first run. This seems similar but the wix approach may need to be different or we need to see how to do the manifest thing in vs2015

k
Old 01-26-2016, 07:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post

Code:
         <security>
             <requestedPrivileges>
             </requestedPrivileges>
         </security>
     </trustInfo>
</assembly>
Here is an article that explains this pretty well....

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...tion-UAC-Aware
Old 01-26-2016, 07:25 PM
SageTVaholic

I will give the manifest solution a shot tomorrow and report back. It mimics what works in v7 so it may be the best short term solution.

Long term we may want to move registry entries from hklm to hkcu.

k
Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
I will give the manifest solution a shot tomorrow and report back. It mimics what works in v7 so it may be the best short term solution.

Long term we may want to move registry entries from hklm to hkcu.

k
You may find using HKCU to be impractical for some people since that's per user account. All I'd need to do is log in as another user and all of my settings are gone. As a logged on user, you'll only see hives for other profiles that have been previously loaded and only if you're a local administrator. HKCU entries are the biggest pain I run into with installers where my company wants to have the same experience for anyone who logs in. I have scripts that help take care of this problem for me, but they are not practical if someone wants to change a setting globally outside of the script which is likely what people will want to do.

The settings being referred to here are definitely in my opinion belong in HKLM. Especially since for example the SageTV service is a service which are usually global by nature.

The manifest is the most correct way to go. You can try it out by just renaming that manifest file to the exe in question and changing the extension to .manifest. (Ex. for SageTV.exe, you would make a copy of the manifest and rename it to SageTV.exe.manifest and place it in the same folder.) Because of how Windows caches things this doesn't always work. The best solution is to embed it; that's what I did with OpenDCT so the required UAC privileges would be reliable.

- Joe
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 PM
SageTVaholic

MOST things probably don't need to even BE in the registry anymore - and if they do, they don't really need to be set by the installer, and should be set as 'default' entries by he respective part of the code that uses it. JVM heap size really only needs to be in the registry, because it is needed before the properties file is read by the java code - though I think we could get away with setting the default to 1GB and there would be no issues with anyone going forward.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
MOST things probably don't need to even BE in the registry anymore - and if they do, they don't really need to be set by the installer, and should be set as 'default' entries by he respective part of the code that uses it. JVM heap size really only needs to be in the registry, because it is needed before the properties file is read by the java code - though I think we could get away with setting the default to 1GB and there would be no issues with anyone going forward.
Or just make the heap size a command line option. The registry option was always clumsy.

There are other settings used by the native code (dll's) that wouldn't work well in the properties file either, unless we pass them back from the jvm, keep them in a different file or parse properties in the native code.

Last edited by wnjj; 01-26-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Command line would be impossible for the service, but I could see maybe working it into the service via SageTVServiceControl.exe. It could be a value you can set from that screen that updates the service to use the new heap value.
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
Command line would be impossible for the service, but I could see maybe working it into the service via SageTVServiceControl.exe. It could be a value you can set from that screen that updates the service to use the new heap value.
Pretty sure you can use commandline parameters with services as well - but I think they need to be entered in the service's registry entry. We just need to add a commandline option to the launcher, and it likely will work.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SageTV]
ImagePath="C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\SageTVService.exe" /heapsize:400

I also agree that this configuration should be done in the SageTVServiceControl.exe (which is what creates this registry entry anyway).

Last edited by Fuzzy; 01-27-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Pretty sure you can use commandline parameters with services as well - but I think they need to be entered in the service's registry entry. We just need to add a commandline option to the launcher, and it likely will work.

ImagePath="C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\SageTVService.exe" /heapsize:400

I also agree that this configuration should be done in the SageTVServiceControl.exe (which is what creates this registry entry anyway).
I wasn't saying you can't use command line parameters with a service. I was saying it would be hard for most people to change them without assistance.

I can see how you would have concluded that. I should have been more specific.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 01-27-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

I have not reviewed the servicecontrol code, but its the installer that creates the service set as manual, and the servicecontrol app modifies the settings of the service. Not certain if it would create the service if it did not exist.

Either way, it could be modified to likely adjust the calling commandline.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:13 AM
Sage Advanced User

First let me say I know basically nothing about how to solve this issue with the registry. I have noted though that there is a lot of chat in this thread about the installer and while that may (most likely) ultimately be where the fix is placed, the issue I had with my Colossus card and the ability to read the registry I don't believe is related to the current installer. I had only used the method of copying Exe's and Jar's over the version 7.19 files to get the problem. I also have the Java Heap issue with the copied files. Copyinjg the original files back resolved the problem. Not sure if these points help or not, but I wanted to make sure they were clear. Thanks and sorry if I stated the obvious or repeated stuff folks already understood. BTW, I can and would be willing to test any fixes if you want me to. Thanks to everyone!