SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:49 PM
Sage Icon

SageTV Windows EXE files

Ok, here's a zip containing the following, recompiled in VS2015:

SageTV.exe
SageTVService.exe
SageTVClient.exe
SageTVPlaceshifter.exe
SageTVStudio.exe

I left out SageTVLite.exe, SageTVLiteService.exe and SageTVRecorder.exe to get under the file size limit. Are those even used anymore anyway?

I assume this means people can now use the PC clients and placeshifters without a license using these and a V9 jar?

I think the launcher code is simple enough that there are no VS2015-specific runtime dependencies. I've only tried SageTV.exe on top of a V7.1.9 install on win7 but I think they should run. Hopefully someone on an XP system can verify this.

I've yet to go through all of the numerous DLL's in the SageTV install directory to account for them all. There are many more than what are currently in the VS solution. Some are obviously VS2005 runtime libraries and maybe others are 3rd party available but there are also stv*.dll files that I haven't figured out how to build.

In the end, is it appropriate to host binaries that don't have source code? Theoretically there are DLL's in 7.1.9 that may never need recompiled so we could just add them as needed. Perhaps there are obsolete ones in 7.1.9?
Attached Files
File Type: zip SageTV_V9_exe.zip (737.9 KB, 1966 views)
Old 10-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

Can't get Service Mode to work

I still can't get service mode to work. The service starts up just fine, but SageTV.exe gets stuck on 'Initializing SageTV Service' . I let it go at least 10 minutes. My WIZ.BIN is 43MB - which doesn't seem like it should take too long to update, so I don't think it's that.
The files in the link above show a date of 9/10/2015. I had downloaded some before with a date of 9/28/2015 - both did the same thing.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Need to see your debug log. It isn't turned on by default, but can be by (with the service stopped and all sage programs closed) editing sage.properties, and setting debug_logging=true. Then, when you start the service, it will write it's debug output to sagetv_0.txt in the SageTV folder. That should give an idea on what's hanging it up.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-10-2015, 07:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Additional Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Need to see your debug log. It isn't turned on by default, but can be by (with the service stopped and all sage programs closed) editing sage.properties, and setting debug_logging=true. Then, when you start the service, it will write it's debug output to sagetv_0.txt in the SageTV folder. That should give an idea on what's hanging it up.
I've tried to attached the log, but it's way too big. The first time I started the service it created two log files - the first 9.5mb and the second almost 9mb. I don't think I let it run long enough in previous runs, but it still doesn't appear to be working.

It appears this is the relevant part may be this:

Sat 10/10 8:32:16.995 [SageTVServer@caa79c] SageTV received connection from:Socket[addr=/127.0.0.1,port=55049,localport=42024]
Sat 10/10 8:32:16.999 [SageTVServer@caa79c] Individual server thread (not the server app) terminated with uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException
Sat 10/10 8:32:17.003 [SageTVServer@caa79c] java.lang.NullPointerException
Sat 10/10 8:32:17.003 [SageTVServer@caa79c] java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)
Sat 10/10 8:32:17.006 [SageTVServer@caa79c] sage.x.bm(Unknown Source)

Last edited by scoful; 10-10-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoful View Post
I've tried to attached the log, but it's way too big. The first time I started the service it created two log files - the first 9.5mb and the second almost 9mb. I don't think I let it run long enough in previous runs, but it still doesn't appear to be working.

It appears this is the relevant part may be this:

Sat 10/10 8:32:16.995 [SageTVServer@caa79c] SageTV received connection from:Socket[addr=/127.0.0.1,port=55049,localport=42024]
Sat 10/10 8:32:16.999 [SageTVServer@caa79c] Individual server thread (not the server app) terminated with uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException
Sat 10/10 8:32:17.003 [SageTVServer@caa79c] java.lang.NullPointerException
Sat 10/10 8:32:17.003 [SageTVServer@caa79c] java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)
Sat 10/10 8:32:17.006 [SageTVServer@caa79c] sage.x.bm(Unknown Source)
That does not look like output from V9 because there's obfuscated class names in that stack trace.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:07 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
That does not look like output from V9 because there's obfuscated class names in that stack trace.
That's odd. I double checked my file versions to make sure they're the correct ones. Is there any kind of PATH like activity that could be making it open the wrong file? Would it be sage.jar or the .exe's (or both) that would produce those?

EDIT: Just noticed there's an old sage.jar in the %PROGRAMFILES%\SageTV\SageTV folder - not sure how that got there but I'm guessing maybe it's loading that one instead of the one in the JARs folder? I'll have to wait until the weekend to test again.

Last edited by scoful; 10-14-2015 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Revelation
Old 10-14-2015, 06:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoful View Post
That's odd. I double checked my file versions to make sure they're the correct ones. Is there any kind of PATH like activity that could be making it open the wrong file? Would it be sage.jar or the .exe's (or both) that would produce those?

EDIT: Just noticed there's an old sage.jar in the %PROGRAMFILES%\SageTV\SageTV folder - not sure how that got there but I'm guessing maybe it's loading that one instead of the one in the JARs folder? I'll have to wait until the weekend to test again.
Sage.jar resides in the SageTV\SageTV folder, NOT the JARs folder. the JARs folder is for other libraries that are NOT a part of the core sagetv program (plugins, mostly).

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Sage.jar resides in the SageTV\SageTV folder, NOT the JARs folder. the JARs folder is for other libraries that are NOT a part of the core sagetv program (plugins, mostly).
Well that would sure do it. After getting sage.jar in the right folder it opened correctly. For some reason my favorites all disappeared after the upgrade, so I stopped the service and restored the backup of wiz.bin that I made before upgrading the exe's.

The next (trivial) question is how do we get the splash screen updated so it shows the new version?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:07 AM
SageTVaholic

we had a discussion about that a month or so ago, and never came to a consensus of what we want to do. Simplest is to just make a version agnostic image and bundle that in instead. The ability to even compile the .EXE's is relatively new, so changing the content IN those exe's hasn't really come up yet.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Sage Expert

It would be really useful to have the version # in Sage.exe (when you mouse-over or view it's properties) and Sage's own System Info screen be in sync, too.

Would be even better if there was a way to include a string that identified the name of the builder. That would allow us to differentiate a private build from an "official" build.

Wrong thread, I know.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
It would be really useful to have the version # in Sage.exe (when you mouse-over or view it's properties) and Sage's own System Info screen be in sync, too.

Would be even better if there was a way to include a string that identified the name of the builder. That would allow us to differentiate a private build from an "official" build.

Wrong thread, I know.
As nice as it would be to match (as I had done with the first ones), the EXE's themselves will rarely need updated as mostly what they do is launch the JVM. It would also require EXE builds whenever the core JAR is built which means our main JAR build guy would need a Windows setup.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:41 PM
SageTVaholic

Well, ideally, we'd have actual setup files, and each time they are built, they are a complete top to bottom build, with matching exe, jar, stv, and additional media. Then the build system ultimately just builds it all, and creates the single file.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, ideally, we'd have actual setup files, and each time they are built, they are a complete top to bottom build, with matching exe, jar, stv, and additional media. Then the build system ultimately just builds it all, and creates the single file.
This is what happens, today, for the Linux builds, but I'm not sure if we'll ever get it that point for the Windows builds. From the linux side, I'm currently working towards a system where build packages are created when someone pushes the "button"... and the someone is not always me (ie, use something like Shippable to build and deploy to BinTray) This is somewhat easy to do for linux builds, but for windows, I think you'd need a windows person to manually do that builds (sort of like how I manually do them, now, for linux).

I don't how how important the binary (exe) version match the jar version and/or the stv version. Certainly the jar and stv have different versions now. And once the process matures, rebuilding the binaries (for windows and linux) will not be as crucial as it is now. The stv already has an unpdate system, and if the jar were have an update system (either plugin or core to sagetv) then the versions will quickly drift apart from the exes.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Sage Expert

There is a cmd-line interface (MSBuild.exe) that should make it possible to build the Windows native binaries, though I haven't tried it yet.

It would be great to get to the point of automatically building everything, including the windows installer.
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
There is a cmd-line interface (MSBuild.exe) that should make it possible to build the Windows native binaries, though I haven't tried it yet.

It would be great to get to the point of automatically building everything, including the windows installer.
It would be good.. the biggest challenge, even using MSBuild.exe, would be to find a place that does hosted Windows builds. ie, something like Shippable and Travis-CI will do linux builds, but I'm not sure they have the faciliites to run a Windows build, even if it were automated. (Maybe MS offers something??)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
It would be good.. the biggest challenge, even using MSBuild.exe, would be to find a place that does hosted Windows builds. ie, something like Shippable and Travis-CI will do linux builds, but I'm not sure they have the faciliites to run a Windows build, even if it were automated. (Maybe MS offers something??)
I don't think we needs something like a daily build or anything - just the ability to have a proper installer .exe built from a given git. Currently, the vs2015 project builds properly (I've read, haven't tried it myself). What is missing is an installer project to then bundle those binaries (and associated goodies) into a single .exe download. I know MS has released an installed add-on for vs 2015, but I don't know how many 'options' it has - not that we need many - but I'd like to be able to have a single installer file that would then prompt whether you are installing the server, the client, or placeshifter.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Sage Icon

Unfortunately the new SageTV.exe is getting hung. A dialog something about no new video files keeps popping then closing, and I had to kill the process.

Reverting to my stock install exe's with a 9.0.3.170 Sage.jar is working ok.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 11-28-2015, 03:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Any reason we cannot get exe's for SageTV7 without the license requirement ... I found some issues with favorites and regular expressions in SageTV9 that is a showstopper in my household... Or will these work with SageTV7?

Last edited by nyplayer; 11-28-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Any reason we cannot get exe's for SageTV7 without the license requirement ... I found some issues with favorites and regular expressions in SageTV9 that is a showstopper in my household... Or will these work with SageTV7?
For starters, we don't have source for SageTV 7. But more realistically, it is likely less work to fix your regex bug than it would be to compile a different version of the exe's.