SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Bugs and feature requests

Bugs:
*If the tuning process takes too long, then there is a green block in front of the red progress marker.
*After tuning a live TV channel, playback progress bar jumps from 0:00:00 to current time position.
*"Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder" does not appear in "Current MPEG2 Audio Decoder" or "Current DVD Audio Decoder" list.
*EPG does not automatically slide over every 30 minutes.
*Avermedia m780 delay when requesting TV signal strength.

Feature Requests:
*Make SageTV 64 bit.
*Add "H.265/HEVC Video Decoder Filter" to "Video/Audio" in "Detailed Setup".
*Add webcam support
*Change SageTV taskbar and system tray icon color to red, while SageTV is recording.
*Add the ability to remove a show from the viewing history.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49studebaker View Post
Bugs:
*If the tuning process takes too long, then there is a green block in front of the red progress marker.
*After tuning a live TV channel, playback progress bar jumps from 0:00:00 to current time position.
*"Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder" does not appear in "Current MPEG2 Audio Decoder" or "Current DVD Audio Decoder" list.
*EPG does not automatically slide over every 30 minutes.
*Avermedia m780 delay when requesting TV signal strength.

Feature Requests:
*Make SageTV 64 bit.
*Add "H.265/HEVC Video Decoder Filter" to "Video/Audio" in "Detailed Setup".
*Add webcam support
*Change SageTV taskbar and system tray icon color to red, while SageTV is recording.
*Add the ability to remove a show from the viewing history.
It all ready 64bit but you need just Linux for that Windows on other hands is diff ball game there no tell when if that ever happing
Now rest are all that good idea

I like see Video Menu changes a bit into 4 categories
Movies
TV Shows
Home Video
Music Video
Add watch icon over top picture cover
Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 PM
Sage Expert

There are tuner cards (Ceton) that currently only have a means of being used via Windows through SageDCT. There is work being done on this with OpenDCT to my understanding, but as it isn't currently available in a usable form to my knowledge, those users are stuck with 32 bit SageTV for now.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
There are tuner cards (Ceton) that currently only have a means of being used via Windows through SageDCT. There is work being done on this with OpenDCT to my understanding, but as it isn't currently available in a usable form to my knowledge, those users are stuck with 32 bit SageTV for now.
SageDCT interfaces with sage via the network encoder interface - it doesn't even have to be on the same system as the sagetvservice, let alone run in the same bit-depth. There is no reason sage would have to stay 32-bit just to continue using a 32-bit network encoder.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 11-29-2015, 11:40 AM
Sage Icon

Feature Request

I would love to see the ability to set up times when no recordings are scheduled. I run a batch file to stop the sage service each night from 11PM to 12 and backup my wiz bin and recordings drives, then restart the service.

Having this feature would make it much easier than setting favorites to allow recording only in the other 23 hours. I know users have asked for this in the past. It would be a nice addition IMO.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 11-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
SageDCT interfaces with sage via the network encoder interface - it doesn't even have to be on the same system as the sagetvservice, let alone run in the same bit-depth. There is no reason sage would have to stay 32-bit just to continue using a 32-bit network encoder.
That defeats trying to keep the SageTV Server as a single computer, rather than 1 computer to run the Ceton card, and another one to run everything else. If I wanted to run the Ceton card as a network encoder, I would have bought the network encoder variant of the Ceton tuner.

Edit: Besides, I was responding to a post saying 64bit Sage is available now. I was pointing out that it only applies to Linux Users, and that some users have a reason to stick with Windows for the time being, and the only working Windows build right now is 32 bit.

Last edited by Monedeath; 11-29-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenWeathers View Post
I would love to see the ability to set up times when no recordings are scheduled. I run a batch file to stop the sage service each night from 11PM to 12 and backup my wiz bin and recordings drives, then restart the service.

Having this feature would make it much easier than setting favorites to allow recording only in the other 23 hours. I know users have asked for this in the past. It would be a nice addition IMO.
Why not go the other way? Run your backup when there's at least x minutes before the next scheduled recording and there are no clients connected. This is how I do my backups (and nightly service restart). I start my scripts at 3am and if the server is busy or will be busy within the next 30 minutes (for backups or 10 mins for restarts) then the script sleeps for a few minutes and tries again. Once it discovers enough free time available, then it does its thing.

I've never liked having to do nightly restarts of the Sage service for HDPVR/Colossus, but doing so makes the recordings extremely solid (1/200+ bad instead of 1/20 or so). And with my scripts finding free time to do it, I've never lost/missed a recording -- it only ever does it when the server is idle.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 11-29-2015, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monedeath View Post
That defeats trying to keep the SageTV Server as a single computer, rather than 1 computer to run the Ceton card, and another one to run everything else. If I wanted to run the Ceton card as a network encoder, I would have bought the network encoder variant of the Ceton tuner.

Edit: Besides, I was responding to a post saying 64bit Sage is available now. I was pointing out that it only applies to Linux Users, and that some users have a reason to stick with Windows for the time being, and the only working Windows build right now is 32 bit.
okay, missed that train.. but in any case - VM's help a lot in this regard.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

One thing I would like to see is the One Time Favorite plugin be usable from the web interface plugin. I do nearly all of my favorite selection from the web interface, and its a bit of a pita to go back later and remove all of those old favorites.
Old 12-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
okay, missed that train.. but in any case - VM's help a lot in this regard.
And it is a route I'm starting to consider, but as I've never setup a VM aside from Win7 pro VM for XP, there are pitfalls I'm enough aware of down that path to make me less than eager on that front.

Last edited by Monedeath; 12-01-2015 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Correcting smartphone autocorrect
Old 12-01-2015, 04:43 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
It all ready 64bit but you need just Linux for that
This is technically true, but I had stability issues when I tried running 64 bit SageTV on Linux a few weeks ago. The service would crash any time my HDPVR stopped recording and it would also crash when using some irtunerplugins. I was forced to switch to 32 bit SageTV running on Linux and it's been rock solid since.

The 64 bit build did seem pretty solid when I was just using a hdhomerun with it though. It wasn't until I added my HDPVR into the mix and tried controlling a DirecTV box that it became unstable.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turak View Post
This is technically true, but I had stability issues when I tried running 64 bit SageTV on Linux a few weeks ago. The service would crash any time my HDPVR stopped recording and it would also crash when using some irtunerplugins. I was forced to switch to 32 bit SageTV running on Linux and it's been rock solid since.

The 64 bit build did seem pretty solid when I was just using a hdhomerun with it though. It wasn't until I added my HDPVR into the mix and tried controlling a DirecTV box that it became unstable.
Did you capture and submit any logs from your crashes?

Old 12-01-2015, 06:40 PM
Sage Expert

There wasn't anything in the sagetv logs because it would core dump before it could log anything, but I did post a hs_err_pid on one of the threads.

I kept the 64bit installation in case anyone wanted to troubleshoot either of those issues.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
Why not go the other way? Run your backup when there's at least x minutes before the next scheduled recording and there are no clients connected. This is how I do my backups (and nightly service restart). I start my scripts at 3am and if the server is busy or will be busy within the next 30 minutes (for backups or 10 mins for restarts) then the script sleeps for a few minutes and tries again. Once it discovers enough free time available, then it does its thing.

I've never liked having to do nightly restarts of the Sage service for HDPVR/Colossus, but doing so makes the recordings extremely solid (1/200+ bad instead of 1/20 or so). And with my scripts finding free time to do it, I've never lost/missed a recording -- it only ever does it when the server is idle.
SJQ? Thought it was no longer supported?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 12-01-2015, 08:58 PM
SageTVaholic

You don't need support when you are the author.

I continue to use it extensively.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas View Post
SJQ? Thought it was no longer supported?
As already mentioned, plugin support for the author of said plugin exists in its own sphere.

IIRC, Slugger only fully EOL'd SJQ for SageTV7 but as he is working projects in v9 there is a chance he might provide some form of support in that context, but he's currently working another project with a much higher priority for him atm. He's currently off rebuilding the plugin manager for SageOS as I recall.

Last edited by Monedeath; 12-01-2015 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:33 PM
SageTVaholic

And this doesn't need SJQ. A simple bash/batch script using something like curl or wget to access the sagex remote apis would easily accomplish this. Using the remote apis to determine if the server is idle and has no clients actively connected is rather simple to do.

A "cleaner" solution would be to use the sagex remote apis with something like groovy (completely outside of SJQ).

Finally, SJQ makes this rather easy, but if you've never used SJQ I'd call it overkill for just this particular task. Either one of the above methods would prove to be much easier to get working.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
..... Either one of the above methods would prove to be much easier to get working.
I was just looking for something really simple - like putting a dot in a circle or a check in a box next to don't record from 11 to 12.
Server: SageTV 9, Win10/32, Intel DP55KG Mb, Intel QC i5 2.66GHz , 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2 Hauppauge 2255s for 4 OTA ATSC tuners, HDHRPrime w Comcast, 3 STP-HD300s 20101007-0 firmware, nVidia Shield. Java v7u55. Plugins:SD EPG, OpenDCT
Old 12-06-2015, 10:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Add a "quiet time" to the core's scheduler logic will prove to be quite difficult. Someone with the skill and the need may come along, but I'd argue if this were only to be added for this kind of use case then I'd rather not tinker with the core scheduler and let the user do something as I've described.

But, as I say, someone may come along with the need and the desire to tinker with the scheduler.