SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

HD-PVR2 Linux drivers and SageTV 9

So I saw the post a while back about HD PVR2 support under linux. That and SageTV going open source made me a very happy camper.

The link to the drivers are here:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html
You have to click on the HD PVR 2 tab to get there

They list support for model 157210. I have 2 model 157221s so I emailed support as suggested on the driver page. A couple of days later I got an email from their tech support with a link to the driver for my model.

If I were to install those drivers, what would be my chances of SageTV9 seeing it? If it didn't where would I be able to go from there?

Kent
Old 01-12-2016, 05:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterBoy View Post
So I saw the post a while back about HD PVR2 support under linux. That and SageTV going open source made me a very happy camper.

The link to the drivers are here:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html
You have to click on the HD PVR 2 tab to get there

They list support for model 157210. I have 2 model 157221s so I emailed support as suggested on the driver page. A couple of days later I got an email from their tech support with a link to the driver for my model.

If I were to install those drivers, what would be my chances of SageTV9 seeing it? If it didn't where would I be able to go from there?

Kent
SageTV will use the video 4 linux apis, so, if the drivers exposes it as /dev/video0, then it might work. I have 2 HDPVRs running under linux, but I think they are the original ones, and they work very well. So, I guess a course of action would be to see if you buy one of the original HDPVR units on ebay, maybe.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:41 AM

I think if I recall rigth the drivers don't get exposes as /dev/video0, There seem bit more a commercial tie drivers
Old 01-13-2016, 07:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
I think if I recall rigth the drivers don't get exposes as /dev/video0, There seem bit more a commercial tie drivers
If that's the case, then HDPVR2 is a dud (Why would a video appliance for linux NOT use the v4l apis... doesn't make sense (
Old 01-13-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
If that's the case, then HDPVR2 is a dud (Why would a video appliance for linux NOT use the v4l apis... doesn't make sense (
I have dbl check it but I'm petty sure it didn't work but I don't call off hand but I will dbl check it sometime this week.

Update: did dbl check it and it dosen't show up in /dev/video*

Last edited by SHS; 01-14-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:15 PM

By the way you do know HD-PVR 2 driver has all Source Codes in it we just need some know there stuff to rewite it to make it work
I think the driver come from Kernel Labs which is also I do think os same folk that do HDPVRCapture tool
Old 01-14-2016, 03:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
By the way you do know HD-PVR 2 driver has all Source Codes in it we just need some know there stuff to rewite it to make it work
I think the driver come from Kernel Labs which is also I do think os same folk that do HDPVRCapture tool
I don't see that happening. I checked the MythTV site, and they are not supporting it. Thing is, if you create video hardware for linux, then v4l2 is the standard, so that anything that consumes those open apis, can use your hardware. Creating a proprietary driver is silly. My guess is that the same is true for windows. ie, Windows probably has a "common" api that if you write hardware for it, then many tools can consume your hardware.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I don't see that happening. I checked the MythTV site, and they are not supporting it. Thing is, if you create video hardware for linux, then v4l2 is the standard, so that anything that consumes those open apis, can use your hardware. Creating a proprietary driver is silly. My guess is that the same is true for windows. ie, Windows probably has a "common" api that if you write hardware for it, then many tools can consume your hardware.
Far I know of MythTV dosen't work on or builder driver as far I know of.
It is not proprietary driver if we have full 100% access to source code that can be modify by any any one just by simply unzip hauppauge_hdpvr2_driver_ver6.tar.gz you see you get everything in open developer code is there even some ref to Colossus source code is in it to as well as all the firmware.
I not 100% sure but I think it is just self testing app that per-load the driver module and firmware in app in a diff way that we are not use to seeing as reg driver module as more of developer way doing test it with out mess up there linux box that my guest at lease that I kind think it is.
At lease Hauppauge was kind enough to give us that much now all we need just some that know how to finsh it.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Far I know of MythTV dosen't work on or builder driver as far I know of.
It is not proprietary driver if we have full 100% access to source code that can be modify by any any one just by simply unzip hauppauge_hdpvr2_driver_ver6.tar.gz you see you get everything in open developer code is there even some ref to Colossus source code is in it to as well as all the firmware.
I not 100% sure but I think it is just self testing app that per-load the driver module and firmware in app in a diff way that we are not use to seeing as reg driver module as more of developer way doing test it with out mess up there linux box that my guest at lease that I kind think it is.
At lease Hauppauge was kind enough to give us that much now all we need just some that know how to finsh it.
Might be something someone can take on and build as a network tuner.